Survival Food... Spam - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 06-08-2016, 03:01 AM
Banned

Factory reps from Spam have publicly stated they only put a "best by date" on their product to allow for the rotation of stocks. They claim an almost limitless storage life (as long as certain conditions are met) and have opened and eaten 25 year old cans of Spam to prove it.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 AM

I don't know if I'd call Spam a survival food - since 27 lbs of Spam is quite likely to kill you!

Now for a word from our sponsors... spam.com

Sorry couldn't resist a little "spam."

Last edited by gunslingergirl; 06-11-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 AM

Yep! eat it all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
I don't know if I'd call Spam a survival food - since 27 lbs of Spam is quite likely to kill you!

Now for a word from our sponsors... spam.com

Sorry couldn't resist a little "spam."
And 27 lb. of Spam likely will kill you. But if you are starving to death you will likely be glad to have it.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

OMG! I clicked the recipe tab on the spam page. I finally quit scrolling down before I reached the end. The Hello Kitty Musubi was a hoot.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Old Spam eater here too. Sliced, fried, and covered in molasses. Spam is big on the Navajo reservation here in Arizona. Stores in the border towns have a wide selection of "flavors."
Colt M45A1 .45 ACP, Colt Defender 9mm
Colt Mustang .380
Old 06-11-2016, 02:00 PM

How long do you think an opened-can would stay safe to eat without refrigeration?
Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 PM

SPAM makes a excellent substitute for bacon, if you slice it thin and brown it in a frying pan until crisp, tastes like lean bacon.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcruisin View Post
How long do you think an opened-can would stay safe to eat without refrigeration?
Heat of the summer I'd finish it off that day. What I didn't eat when opened, would probably add to a pot of beans & keep good & warm till the next meal. Winter, well that depends on how cold it is.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post

And I don't mind stating that I love the stuff, especially when browned in a skillet.

My favorite way to eat it. I slice it thin and cook it all at once. Makes great sandwiches and good sub for bacon in the morning.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Spam and taters, a little onion...mmmmmmm!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
.. but I think Spam is a great choice..
perhaps.....if you're Guamanian
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM

Wow, the varieties. 25% less Na looks interesting.

I wonder if the wife would suspect something awry with a "chorizo" omelott?

At least in my family it is easier to rotate canned tuna, sardines, and our own meat dishes because we regularly eat them. SPAM just hasn't been on the menu...
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyecho View Post
perhaps.....if you're Guamanian
Don't think they have rednecks out in the pacific. Now Mississippi, that is a different matter.

Take away all the discussion of taste, as with any food, some will love it and others will hate it. The point of this thread is to enlighten other preppers on one important tool for survival. Even if I didn't care for Spam, I'm sure I'd find a way to eat it if hungry & no other food choices available. Face it, Americans are meat eaters & what other meat choice is out there that can be stored indefinitely? So I feel if your are from Guam or from Hoboken, Spam is a GREAT choice for survivalists.

I just don't think people today understand how food gets to their table, or how hard it is to grow. Nothing like the old days, say the Great Depression, where almost all food was grown locally. The days of the small, local farms is mostly over. Most of the food you eat today is not grown locally & your availability to get it is completely dependent on modern transportation... and not just from upstate but from the other side of the continent or the world.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVK View Post

At least in my family it is easier to rotate canned tuna, sardines, and our own meat dishes because we regularly eat them. SPAM just hasn't been on the menu...
And not on the menu for me either... too much fat & salt for my current diet. That being said, in a severe crisis, I'm quite sure the fat & salt content of my diet would change rapidly, so that would not be a negative anymore. Actually would be a positive.

For the canned meats you mention, as I'm sure you know, rotation is critical. The beauty of Spam is, you can store it and not worry about having to eat it now for rotation purposes... no more than I rotate my super pails of rice & beans. My Spam will simply be put in storage & stay there.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Yaworski View Post
Spam, spam, spamm spam!
Ditto, lol.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:54 PM

I guess sort of like MREs, something you never plan to eat!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Or maybe something you hope to never have to eat. I hope I never have to use my stores. For me to do so means things didn't go well.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM

I remember when I was in the USMC years ago. We were using C-Rations at that time. But the ham and lima beans were a favorite of mine. The ham and eggs was good too. They used spam for the ham part of course. I used to be able to trade other things away for them and get them at bargain trade rates.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I remember when I was in the USMC years ago. We were using C-Rations at that time. But the ham and lima beans were a favorite of mine. The ham and eggs was good too. They used spam for the ham part of course. I used to be able to trade other things away for them and get them at bargain trade rates.
LOL. Weren't Ham and Lima Beans referred to as Ham and Mother? Isn't that the one that got welded to the sides of M60s to better feed the belts?

No wonder folks were so happy to trade you at bargain rates. Glad someone liked them.

I kind a missed C Rats. I got in on the tail end, so to speak, but the cans sure were a lot easier to handle. I had a little folding stove that took the round fuel tabs. It had three wings the would swing on a rivet and collapse so that I could fit the stove, a tube of fuel tabs, and a waterproof match case in a canvas first aid pouch on my LBE. The stove was just the right size to fit a C Rat can on or put a small pan on top.

The danged MRE pouches were a pain to hold onto, you couldn't make a field expedient, early warning device out of them, and digging in with the spoon for the rest of the chow you would end up with residue from the bag getting on your hands. Oh, and the John Wayne bars in the C's were tasty.

Now back to our regular spamming.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Spam works much better then MREs for long term storage. That supposedly long shelf life for MREs is only when they are stored under controlled environmental conditions.

While they might still have nutritional value, ALL the 5 years out of date MREs I stripped down a year or so ago had changed taste/texture/color. To the extent I would have to be literally starving to choke it down. That being said my dog liked them, though he did just die from tumors last month....so connected or not I don't know.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 AM

Had to run to Sam's Club for business supplies. Another case of spam headed to my storage.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 AM

We had a guy, who just LOVED those ham and mother c rats....Sick dude...would trade you his peaches and pound cake for ham and limas. Good troop, but rather taste-challenged. I too loved the John Wayne bars. You know, I think I'll get some Spam for the pantry.......
Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM

I didn't like the ham and lima beans C ration, but I found that the ham and eggs was one of the few that tasted OK when eaten cold (who gets an opportunity to heat C's when in the field?). The fact that the eggs were a green color made it easy for me to trade pretty much anything else for them.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:00 AM

Dang. Had a little Spam, eggs, and fried potatoes tonight. Can't help it. I don't care much for the taste or texture of Spam and still prefer the taste and texture of Treet, regardless what's in it. I just wonder if it will store as well and as long.

Might still stock some Spam for trade material.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:57 AM

Wife was making a grocery list while I was perusing the forum & catching up on this thread.
Bought a few cans of Spam along with the listed items.

Breakfast tomorrow will be:
Eggs over medium,
Sliced Spam, browned in the skillet with a little bacon grease,
Homemade sausage gravy & biscuits (frozen Pillsbury ones),
Skillet fried red taters w/onions,
Coffee & milk.

I may need Roto-Rooter to clean my arteries but my stomach & taste buds will be well satisfied.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.