Survival Food... Spam - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-04-2016, 05:23 PM

I like SPAM too. I have some on hand just in case and cycle through it from time to time. Supposedly the stuff lasts indefinitely, but eventually the flavor may go away and it becomes more and more bland over time. But heck you can use the stuff in just about everything.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebenn View Post

At our BOP, the cellar has over 24 cases of it. About a third are the light version.
Wonder of the light version will last as long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebenn View Post
We also have a generous supply of tuna that is being constantly rotated in and out based on expiration dates.
I don't stock tuna as it doesn't appear to have the indefinite shelf like of Spam and I don't eat enough of it to do a proper rotation. My option instead is a pond full of grain fed channel catfish. What I catch out is replaced naturally for free. I toss about 100 lbs of feed per week and my understanding is for every pound you feed a catfish, they will put on a half pound of weight. So the way I see it, I'm adding about 50 lbs of meat to my stores every week... minus what small amount I harvest right now.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 06-04-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Hormels was started in Autin MN, guess where Johnny be from!! Coincidentally, SPAM stands for spiced ham. The Spam Museum is also inbAustin, everyone should check it out cuz it's American baby!!

Last edited by Johnny handgun; 06-04-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Love me some Spam & eggs.
When we'd do our "Army camping", I'd load my duffel bag with Spam & Dinty Moore beef stew.
Better than C Rats Ham & !@#$%^&*()$%^&* any day.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:32 PM

Here I thought bricks of .22 were the hot survival trade item.....now you're telling me Spam is perhaps more valuable?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:50 PM

Are you sure that they are really channel cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
Wonder of the light version will last as long?

I don't stock tuna as it doesn't appear to have the indefinite shelf like of Spam and I don't eat enough of it to do a proper rotation. My option instead is a pond full of grain fed channel catfish. What I catch out is replaced naturally for free. I toss about 100 lbs of feed per week and my understanding is for every pound you feed a catfish, they will put on a half pound of weight. So the way I see it, I'm adding about 50 lbs of meat to my stores every week... minus what small amount I harvest right now.
They sound more like pond cats to me.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt View Post
Here I thought bricks of .22 were the hot survival trade item.....now you're telling me Spam is perhaps more valuable?
I'm not an either or kinda guy, so I have plenty of both. Spam does go down easier.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
They sound more like pond cats to me.
That they are and if not grain fed, can be a little hard to eat... not that in a survival situation I'd be too picky. But when grain fed, hard to find better fish, at least for a Mississippi boy.

Just got in from feeding them & took the neighbor boys down. They got a kick outa seeing a couple of hundred fish come up and skim the surface. I've asked them to thin down the population a bit, as long as they eat whatever they catch.

A friend holding one that is only 1 1/2 years old. When fed well, they come to size quickly. Now THAT is survival food!

Just a small 1 acre pond in the bottom pasture. My wife likes the view. I like the survival benefits as well.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 06-04-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 PM

I lived in LA for twenty one years.

It was a great place to ship out of back in the day. Catfish cooked right is very good eating.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I watch my fat intake, so I haven't eaten that stuff in 30 yrs, but it would be a good source for the last few years.
I could use some long-term storage meat with my dry stuff.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:15 PM

I beg to differ. There's a reason they term unwanted e-mails to be spam. That isn't a coincidence! Hawaii can have all of the product that one might allot to me in a SHTF scenario. I'll live on rats and squirrels first . . . . . .

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 AM

Brown it in a pan and sprinkle a little brown sugar on it. Mmmmm. It's like dessert!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcruisin View Post
I could use some long-term storage meat with my dry stuff.
Exactly why I started stocking this Spam. I realized my dry stores were in rather good shape & gradually increasing. I then realized the way I like my rice and beans is pretty well seasoned with some meat in it, be it sausage or maybe ham, so I determined to go to the next level and started storing more seasonings. The meat issue was handled, rather well I think, with Spam. It should outlast me.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
I beg to differ. There's a reason they term unwanted e-mails to be spam. That isn't a coincidence! Hawaii can have all of the product that one might allot to me in a SHTF scenario.
Actually, the reason unsolicited email is called spam is because of a Monty Python skit in a cafe where mostly everything on the menu contains spam. As the waiter is reciting the menu, a bunch of Viking patrons drowns out all conversation with a song of "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam… lovely Spam! wonderful Spam!". The correlation is the drowning out of a conversation... not perceived taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
I'll live on rats and squirrels first . . . . . .
And as I stated in post #16, I would plan on most of my meat initially coming from hunting too... just not rats. I'd have to be real hungry before I went there & they aren't that plentiful around here anyway.

I'm afraid too many people think hunting is the solution to surviving a crisis but if you look thru history, only very, very few survived on just wild game. All that hunting pressure will quickly thin the herds plus will cause the remaining ones to be much more difficult to harvest. During the depression, at least down here, meat came from farm animals with a little wild game as a supplement. My plans are for Spam to fill in during the period of time the game runs out and I can bring in farm animals. It also would be used initially in a local, less severe crisis, where I wasn't looking at long term survival.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 06-05-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM

As a kid, if we got Spam, it was a BIG occasion. Mom would slice and fry it, almost as good as bacon! Not saying we were poor, but we ate our cereal with a fork, so we could save the milk...
Old 06-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchute View Post
As a kid, if we got Spam, it was a BIG occasion. Mom would slice and fry it, almost as good as bacon!
Many years ago we would fry it in a skillet & add a brown gravy and serve with instant mashed potatoes. Nice cheap meal but goodness I still remember how good it tasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchute View Post
Not saying we were poor, but we ate our cereal with a fork, so we could save the milk...
That is a new one for me.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 AM

We used to get it in our school lunches every week or so. It was a favorite of mine at the time.

One problem for my wife and I is the stock what you eat thing. We don't do a lot of canned stuff because of the high sodium and other things in them. Not good for our health currently. Campbell's soup is a rare thing around here because nearly all them have Monosodium Glutamate in them. We've had canned goods go out of date simply because we don't use them.

Suffice to say though that in a situation food are food and we'll probably be so screwed healthwise and so many otherwises the stuff in the food will have become a lower concern.

So with that in mind, a stack of canned Treet or Spam that will last a very long time, maybe some pilot bread if we can find a reasonable source that has a very long shelf life like Sailor Boy does, and a few other long storage capable things should work. It's the must be rotated within a year or two that won't work for us.

Btw, the wife is a big Monty Python fan so I gotta be careful mentioning Spam around her or it becomes a MP skit.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
Love me some Spam & eggs.
When we'd do our "Army camping", I'd load my duffel bag with Spam & Dinty Moore beef stew.
Better than C Rats Ham & !@#$%^&*()$%^&* any day.
Oh, the fond memories of C-Rats.....

Spam rules.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Plain uncooked Spam 3/4 inch diced on a tooth pick. Served with a cheese cube, yellow mustard and a little Sriracha is pretty good also.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Ugh, Spam gives me a headache.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM

I like the teriyaki and hot and spicy flavors.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Spam is also popular among Koreans and their Supermarkets will usually have it prominently displayed. Slice it up and fry it is how I like it and it works well as the meat portion of a dinner with rice, noodles or potatoes. Or a sandwich with ketchup or spicy mustard.

I have no interest in Treat though as it is processed lips and butts among other things while Spam is simply the leftover trimmings from canned hams.

You do need to check the cans every so often though as I went through some that bloated up pretty quick.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 PM

But, the lips and butts taste so good the way it's made. We had sliced, cooked Treet, aka Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, and potato starch, plus the usual "less than 2% of..." tonight on thin bagels with sharp cheddar cheese.

Though I think SPAM will probably keep longer. Best buy date on the Treet can is APR-22-19.

Might have to just make the bulk canned meat SPAM for longevities sake though and because as things look on here it will have a much wider appeal as a trade item too.

A note on SPAM history and content.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Spam.html

I'm assuming this line though applies to all lunch meats including Treet.

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in lunchmeat, nor does it allow pig snouts, lips, or ears.
And the pig's butt is part of the ham. It certainly was on the ones we raised and that came back from the Sardinia slaughterhouse where we sent the piggies to be converted to tasty things for us. Dang, the owner's daughter sure could kiss as I discovered one night during breaks at a 4H dinner. I digress. With fond memories, but even so...

Quote:
About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham.
I admit the shoulder pork and ham parts sound better than mechanically separated chicken and pork. No argument there. The SPAM is a lot easier to get out of the can too.

Of course, like many companies around, Hormel looks the other way with illegal immigrants who have faked papers. Unless they get sick there and need to be gotten rid of. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...brains-disease

Nothing in life comes without a price of some kind. What else is new.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 06-05-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Spam???

I hope I never get that hungry.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 PM

If you don't have Spam . your survival efforts are Doomed to failure . just ask the US Army. 1943 TO 2016