Survival Food... Spam - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Survival Food... Spam

Just got back from Sam's Club & while there shopping for the business, picked up another case of Spam. That case has 27 lbs of Spam in it and at a bit under $96, that works out to $3.55/lb for survival meat that even as Hormel states, has an indefinite shelf life if the can is not damaged.

Sure I plan on hunting & will raise meat animals on the farm eventually, but I think Spam is a great choice for long term food storage. It is a perfect accoutrement for all the beans & rice I have in storage pails. For all the reasons health experts today would say to stay away from it, the high salt & fat content, makes it a perfect survival food. The salt helps in preservation and will be needed in a crisis and the fat is very high in calories (energy).

And I don't mind stating that I love the stuff, especially when browned in a skillet.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:17 AM

Funny I was just looking at a can in the pantry! Will cook some up with some pineapple slices. When I was still a kid during WW2 we ate a lot of SPAM and it took me a few years as an adult to re-aquire a taste for it just like potato soup!
Will check it out next time I get up to Costco... 50 miles away
Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Spam is not a Survival meat. To some of us old enough to remember, Spam is a delightful delicacy!

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"

Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG247 View Post
Spam is not a Survival meat. To some of us old enough to remember, Spam is a delightful delicacy!
I would respectfully state it is most certainly both!

My friend from Hawaii informed me of how much folks there LOVE spam. No state in the union eats more.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Spam, spam, spamm spam!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 AM

My wife usually buys the smaller cans we found on one of our SAMs club trips. It's usually just the two of us and they are the perfect size for no waste. They are also the right size to stick in a pack, trucks toolbox, trunk, etc. as stated earlier as long as the can is intact you're good to go! A can of beans and a can of spam is a great cold meal when out and about in the boonies(IMO)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Spam in stir fry.
Spam and eggs.
Spam and egg and cheese on toast.
Spam in a breakfast casserole.
Spam slice with cheese on toasted rye with mayo.
Spam diced and put in with Mac & Cheese.

Yummy.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Spam can also be used as fuel for a fire....to cook with.....when necessary....
learned this once trying to cook spam exposed to an open flame....

Last edited by 1911MILSPEC2015; 06-03-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
I would respectfully state it is most certainly both!

My friend from Hawaii informed me of how much folks there LOVE spam. No state in the union eats more.
Yes it is both and possibly more. Consider this! As a form of Tender, Barter, Survival Money even. How much could a case of spam be worth in a SHTF scenario?

Considerable amount I think. You may have hit upon "one" of the Ultimate Survival items/foods....

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM

I thought this site had rules against SPAMing a post!

It's good chopped up in mac and cheese as well!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Spam should definately do for calories and fat.

Certainly in high demand in a food scarce environment. Another high value, compact long term storage food that some may want to have is the Datrex food bars. They are what you will generally find in the lifeboats of any oceangoing vessel. They are packed with calories and basic nutrients. They kind of taste like a brownie only not as sweet. And they are made so that you will not be made thirsty by them. You would not want to eat them everyday but they are a good thing to have especially for a like a backpack where weight is a consideration.

A case of them will provide 2,000 calories for two people for thirty days in a very compact package. Cost about ninety bucks a case the last time that I bought some plus shipping. Order direct from Datrex. Shelf life is about five years plus. Even after the expiration date they are still good. I think that the only reason that they put an expiration date on them is to sell you more. The Coast guard will not sign off on expired rations in a life boat.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 PM

only problem with metal cans is the BPA containing epoxy that coats inside of the can. it disintegrates with time. regulatory and compliance governmental bodies list it as safe but recent studies have indicated that even ultra small doses (that will not poison you even over the course of long-term exposure) shown to have an effect on mammalian organisms.

Health Risks Linked to BPA:
Structural damage to your brain
Changes in gender-specific behavior, and abnormal sexual behavior
Increased fat formation and risk of obesity
Stimulation of prostate cancer cells
Altered immune function
Increased prostate size and decreased sperm production

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...risks-bpa.aspx

true or not - depends on who you ask. but i choose to air on the side of caution.

as the result i can my own meat-fat preserves into glass jars. yes, it's time consuming but my cost is actually even lower than cheapest canned meat. i make all sorts of meat. whatever is on sale. i recently tried doing meat-fat-carb preserves and it seemed to work out very well. it's better than just meat-fat because you need mostly carbs in your diet and it also makes it even cheaper cost/jar. i tried so far rice/meat/fat and buckwheat/meat/fat. I still want to try same with pasta, mashed peas, beans. i did try potatos, but peeling them is the pain so it's just in the plans for now.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:28 PM

I think BPA, high fat content & high salt content are valid concerns for everyday life. Not so in a survival situation. If it is that bad, I don't think too many folks are gonna be turning down meat because it may have a bit of BPA.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:44 PM

I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
I think BPA, high fat content & high salt content are valid concerns for everyday life. Not so in a survival situation. If it is that bad, I don't think too many folks are gonna be turning down meat because it may have a bit of BPA.
You should consider that average human life expectancy as recently as 1950 was only forty eight. Likely somewhat higher if child mortality is factored out. But still rather short compared to today. If things go back to a pre industrial setting, nobody is going to live to a ripe old age. I am fortunate enough at age fifty eight to not be reliant on any maintenance drugs. However I do not see this lasting forever.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 PM

You want to see SPAM variety, go to Hawaii! There are literally full aisles of varieties of SPAM. The mainland gets deprived on the neat stuff!
Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 PM

For me, large stocks of Spam would fill a void in my food supply during the initial phases of a crisis. Given time, I could ramp up my chicken flock & could barter to bring in meat animals, such as pigs & goats. I figure deer & other game will initially be plentiful but expect that to change pretty rapidly. Sure, I have large stocks of wheat berries, rice, beans, etc but Spam would sure help to balance out the menu and add flavor. For that same reason I recently bought on Amazon some rather large jars (2.2 lbs each) of Knorr beef & chicken bouillon.

My plan, and we all know how plans can go, is to not only survive but survive with a bit of comfort. I like comfort food.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 PM

SPAM is a goodern' hell to rathole.

But I'd rathole more of this...

Sailor Boy Pilot Bread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

Good stuff.

Have mercy!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:16 PM

Welll, I prefer Amour Treet. Guess it stores about as long.

Any links to a good source to purchase Sailor Boy Pilot Bread in bulk? Been looking online, but keep finding other brands.

Looking at one pic on a site in Alaska there was a plate of smoke salmon strips and pilot bread. I really miss salmon and trout. Heck, I miss Alaska.

I've looked at making my own hardtack, but I like the less "hard" of the pilot bread. I ain't got good choppers for the body armor "tack."

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Spam makes the best fried rice. Brown it with a drained can of corn, 1/2 onion diced, 1 green pepper diced and a drained can of pineapple. Then add cooked rice and soy sauce.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinrock1 View Post
Funny I was just looking at a can in the pantry! Will cook some up with some pineapple slices. When I was still a kid during WW2 we ate a lot of SPAM and it took me a few years as an adult to re-aquire a taste for it just like potato soup!
Will check it out next time I get up to Costco... 50 miles away
Dice and brown a can of spam and add it to a couple cans of Potato Soup.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:36 PM

Bake three large Russet Potatoes the night before and refrigerate. Make sure they are not overcooked. In a Large Skillet with a little oil: Brown Diced Spam. When Spam has started to brown add Diced cooked potatoes. In another skillet cook 1 large diced onion, a medium jalapeno diced and a large green pepper diced until soft in a little oil. When Potatoes are browned add peppers and onion. Mix in 2 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning and cook till it has a little crust. Serve like hash. Top with fried egg.

Option 2:
Top skillet with Cheese and bake if you like until cheese melts.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:30 PM

I have a special folder for SPAM. It gets deleted.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:22 PM

Looks like we have some serious "SPAM'rs" here with some good ideas for cooking. I know I have an old SPAM cookbook someplace in my junk ....
Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
only problem with metal cans is the BPA containing epoxy that coats inside of the can. it disintegrates with time. regulatory and compliance governmental bodies list it as safe but recent studies have indicated that even ultra small doses (that will not poison you even over the course of long-term exposure) shown to have an effect on mammalian organisms.

Health Risks Linked to BPA:
Structural damage to your brain
Changes in gender-specific behavior, and abnormal sexual behavior
Increased fat formation and risk of obesity
Stimulation of prostate cancer cells
Altered immune function
Increased prostate size and decreased sperm production

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...risks-bpa.aspx

true or not - depends on who you ask. but i choose to air on the side of caution.

as the result i can my own meat-fat preserves into glass jars. yes, it's time consuming but my cost is actually even lower than cheapest canned meat. i make all sorts of meat. whatever is on sale. i recently tried doing meat-fat-carb preserves and it seemed to work out very well. it's better than just meat-fat because you need mostly carbs in your diet and it also makes it even cheaper cost/jar. i tried so far rice/meat/fat and buckwheat/meat/fat. I still want to try same with pasta, mashed peas, beans. i did try potatos, but peeling them is the pain so it's just in the plans for now.
The BPA's only add to the flavor of Spam. Spam cooked with onions, green peppers and maybe some dirty rice is a meal from the god's
Old 06-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Other than the weight issue, I find Spam to be an almost perfect survival food.

At our BOP, the cellar has over 24 cases of it. About a third are the light version.

During the transitional phase in a SHTF scenario the high fat content will be the least of your issues.

We also have a generous supply of tuna that is being constantly rotated in and out based on expiration dates.