Defense against an obese or extra big adversary? - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 PM

I'd just use the Denny Crane technique.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvO-8IvoCI
TSRA Life Member
LEAA Life Member
Old 07-12-2016, 12:12 PM

I know of one situation where a deputy sheriff had some issues with a portly man, shoot him twice with a 9mm both rounds stopped on the ribs. bad guy decided it hurt and stopped. This was at close range.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Stopping a large or obese man.....

If two rounds to the torso doesn't work, then add another shot to the head....a failure to stop drill. I practice failure to stop drills all the time at 7 yds.....it is a regular part of my practice routine,
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stank View Post
Run.

Either that or try to go for major bones from the hip and pelvis down, but that's iffy since you'll be all hopped up on adrenaline and fear and likely mashing the trigger as fast as you can.

Summary: Run.
The largest bone close to the skin is the skull, aim for that
Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 PM

Deputy in Oklahoma was having a bad time with a guy drugged out and bent on killing him, think he hit the bad guy 9-10 times with his 9mm. What saved the deputy was shooting the miscrete in the knees, fight over
Old 07-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Mozambique Drill
I prefer the NSR (non standard response). Rounds into target until he changes behavior (IE, drops). After I'm on target I much prefer delivering 4,5,6,7, etc rounds into the same spot (upper thoracic/CoM). Larger target and I'm not worrying about shifting from a huge target to a small one for a head shot. Heads are for snipers and anchor rounds Mozambique works fine on paper targets and looks cool in the movies, but too many variables at play for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Just think of the advantages of having a larger target.

Also, assuming that the use of deadly force is justified (i.e., the other person's conduct represented a real, immediate, and severe threat to you), it will be all that much more apparent in the subsequent legal review and/or judicial processes.

If you hit a critical organ (e.g., heart/center of mass), the size of the assailant probably won't make that much difference.
Great points!

The ability to hit a critical organ is where the function of size comes into play. Excess muscle and fat both play a role in penetration and the ability of the bullet to behave as designed. Take a 'strongman' type build for instance, someone who has a subcutaneous layer of fat with dense muscle under it. Much different than shooting a low BF/ectomorph type build.

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. - JFK
Old 07-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Bigger the threat = slower the threat. Use mobility to increase the distance so you can plan your shot better.

If you're forced to be up close, then you've got a larger area to hit. Shooting to kill? head all day long. Shooting to slow down? Any part of the leg or groin. I don't care HOW fat somebody is - nobody ever builds fat right over their heart. Even giant ghetto sows with car sized boobs have nothing dead center.

So the point is avoid the fleshy areas - belly, double chin, and focus on legs, heart and nose-eyes area.

If all else fails, offer to buy them KFC. No fatass, including me, would rather fight than eat some scrumptious fried chicken.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:35 AM

Sorry you guys are behind the times. Two to the chest one to the head is last years news.

Shoot them in the teeth. Someone with a bullet between the teeth and forehead will usually stop being aggressive.

Fat people are not grizzly bears. But they can probably soak up more rounds than a skinny person. But not face shots.

Train for first, accurate shot to head, end the fight asap, the less shot you will get.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 PM

But what if he catches the bullet between his teeth and spits it back at you?

The problem is, the head is a small target and moves much more than the torso. So a center-of-lethality aim is still the best.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:08 PM

Speed!
Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 PM

Candy bar
Old 07-18-2016, 11:28 AM

A groin shot will put down the biggest threat and stop the fight.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. The Shootist
Old 07-18-2016, 11:40 AM

I'd rather put on in a big, fat torso than depend on hitting those little bitty ghoolies.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Another thought....if some guy attacks me he either has a little bitty brain (difficult target) or really big gahoolies (easier target) ?

I mean, since we're beating this wild scenario horse into mush.....

Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Shot placement. Take out the CNS and as a big guy, he'll just fall harder.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
Candy bar
Made me think of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfTrCgiDc-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJu-B8duwA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEtS9dY74g
Old 07-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireRogue View Post
Shot placement. Take out the CNS and as a big guy, he'll just fall harder.
Or just run away -- he'll have a heart attack and collapse while chasing you.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 PM

LOL thanks.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
since the M1911 only has 7 rd magazine for most standard sized pistols, whats the best way to take down an extra big bad guy? some guys are almost the size of a Grizzly bear

does a persons overall size have an effect on how hard it might be to take them down, I heard some ex pro football player sized guys can take several hits and keep on comming.

I remember seeing some video footage of a traffic stop and the big bad guy was able to keep fighting even though he had been hit numerous times.
no matter how big they are, two bullets to the center mass of .45 acp jhp will do the job.

But there are several videos that showed people who got shot by 40 times and are still in the fight ( active self protection vid from Indonesia).

Since I am from the Philippines, it is no surprise that I have used a pistol due to a family feud years ago(land dispute). with out any training those 7 rounds bullets will go fast.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:39 AM

I gotta believe some of you are deer hunters. How many of you deer hunter have shot a 300 lb deer with a 45 acp? Not many, I'm guessing. Me neither. It sounds like a bad idea.

If that's all I have is a measely 45 acp, I'd probably go for a central nervous system shot. I'm not shooting some big guy in the groin just to see if he stops. In a simulator I shot recently, I faced a big guy with a baseball bat. He got the benefit of the doubt he would use it, right up to the last second. Then I put one right between his eyes.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
since the M1911 only has 7 rd magazine for most standard sized pistols, whats the best way to take down an extra big bad guy? some guys are almost the size of a Grizzly bear

does a persons overall size have an effect on how hard it might be to take them down, I heard some ex pro football player sized guys can take several hits and keep on comming.

I remember seeing some video footage of a traffic stop and the big bad guy was able to keep fighting even though he had been hit numerous times.
Head shot.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post

The problem is, the head is a small target and moves much more than the torso. So a center-of-lethality aim is still the best.
The head is much bigger than the heart
Old 11-27-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaniecowpony View Post
I gotta believe some of you are deer hunters. How many of you deer hunter have shot a 300 lb deer with a 45 acp? Not many, I'm guessing. Me neither. It sounds like a bad idea.

If that's all I have is a measely 45 acp, I'd probably go for a central nervous system shot. I'm not shooting some big guy in the groin just to see if he stops. In a simulator I shot recently, I faced a big guy with a baseball bat. He got the benefit of the doubt he would use it, right up to the last second. Then I put one right between his eyes.
I have killed deer with an M1911. It does a great job.

A 200 grain semi-wadcutter cast bullet from a .45 ACP will go completely through a deer -- I've never recovered a bullet from any deer I've shot with it.

Its major fault is not lack of power but lack of range, plus being a pistol, it's difficult to shoot accurately. Don't even think about hitting a running deer.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:47 PM

GONRA's just an amateur on this stuff, but depends on a LASER SIGHT and Head Shot.
Realistic or not - just TRYING to be realistic.
(2X RED DOT sight verks Just Fine on my Suppressed Vector UZI though.)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM

No matter what size start shooting in pelvic area, that supports the whole body, then keep movig up the torso until they drop or you run out of ammo. If you run out of ammo first reload and keep shooting. .