Defense against an obese or extra big adversary? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 05-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Defense against an obese or extra big adversary?

since the M1911 only has 7 rd magazine for most standard sized pistols, whats the best way to take down an extra big bad guy? some guys are almost the size of a Grizzly bear

does a persons overall size have an effect on how hard it might be to take them down, I heard some ex pro football player sized guys can take several hits and keep on comming.

I remember seeing some video footage of a traffic stop and the big bad guy was able to keep fighting even though he had been hit numerous times.

Last edited by green papaya; 05-20-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Run.

Either that or try to go for major bones from the hip and pelvis down, but that's iffy since you'll be all hopped up on adrenaline and fear and likely mashing the trigger as fast as you can.

Summary: Run.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:59 PM

Just think of the advantages of having a larger target.

Also, assuming that the use of deadly force is justified (i.e., the other person's conduct represented a real, immediate, and severe threat to you), it will be all that much more apparent in the subsequent legal review and/or judicial processes.

If you hit a critical organ (e.g., heart/center of mass), the size of the assailant probably won't make that much difference.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-20-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Stopping a very larger threat with a handgun....

The major way to effectively stop a threat, whether human or a predatory animal, as quickly as possible is to disrupt the Central Nervous System. This means a good head shot, or having a reasonably powerful handgun that offers good penetration and can hit the spine. For me, a reasonably powerful handgun is a 9mm or larger caliber......I have no faith in a small .380, and would not even carry one as a back up gun....I use a compact 9mm if I ever feel the need for a BUG.

The Mozambique drill of two shots to COM then a third shot to the head is a good training drill, and will usually stop any two legged predator regardless of size.

If I am ever faced with a life or death situation, I won't be aiming at someone's pelvis to break their hip and disable them......they may still be able to return fire. I will be shooting to stop the threat as quickly as possible.....I train with the Mozambique drill quite often at 7 yds, and it is also part of the IDPA Classifier. Without a cover garment, I can usually draw and fire two shots to the zero down ring of an IDPA target and one to the head in 1.8 seconds or less.....a little slower if I am wearing a cover garment....
Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Knock their pizza to the floor
COTEP #0523
Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM

echoing what others have said, the more holes the better. 7 rounds placed in the right areas will probably do correct amount of damage. That being said, don't expect the person to drop to the ground instantaneously unless you get the round into the "T"

also: cardio
Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
since the M1911 only has 7 rd magazine for most standard sized pistols, whats the best way to take down an extra big bad guy? some guys are almost the size of a Grizzly bear

does a persons overall size have an effect on how hard it might be to take them down, I heard some ex pro football player sized guys can take several hits and keep on comming.

I remember seeing some video footage of a traffic stop and the big bad guy was able to keep fighting even though he had been hit numerous times.
Get an 8 round magazine.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM

I heard 8 rd magazines will cause a 1911 to spontaneously explode and have been linked to the increase in teenage pregnancies.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Just keep feeding them cheeseburgers.

The problem will solve itself.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Staying cool until he grabs you then you stick the muzzle into an eye socket and pull the trigger. It is messy but effective. If you can't get an eye socket, into the ear works well too. Also messy but effective.
Semper Fi
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 PM

Shots to lower abdomen or junk. I imagine a fully expanded 45acp hollow point exiting one's a$$hole would cause one to reconsider their view of the world.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 PM

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete177 View Post
Shots to lower abdomen or junk. I imagine a fully expanded 45acp hollow point exiting one's a$$hole would cause one to reconsider their view of the world.
Or at least give them a new way to look at it.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 PM

Shoot 'em in their fat head!

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 AM

I guess if I was not confident in a clean headshot and a larger adversary was bearing down on me I'd use my systemic knowledge of human anatomy and avery sharp knife to start carving them down...the femoral and brachial arteries aren't hard to reach even with a 2-3 inch blade and I would use the fact that I'm lean and in shape to outmaneuver...just because someone has their blood type listed as high fructose doesn't mean they're a skilled adversary.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
I guess someone has their blood type listed as high fructose.
interesting thought there
for it serves no purpose in His kingdom, in which there are
none but the upright." - Martin Luther, 1523 -
Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Mozambique Drill

Don't trust Cavery Grips in Clayton, North Carolina.
An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 PM

Shoot them in the groin. This will stop the largest assailant unless you can get a clear head shot.
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” The Shootist
Old 05-21-2016, 07:30 PM

We are just men! The last I checked, my anatomy is quite similar to yours, I'm 6'5" 240.
Just approach the situation like any other. BTW....underestimating "anybody" will get you killed.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 PM

Throw a freaking Ham sandwich or a Duke's Chicago Beef at them while getting that, you can blast away and run..RON K.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM

Climb a tree with skinny branches.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Japanese 1911 - goes thru fat guys like butta . . . .

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 AM

Unless the assailant is wearing body armor, the best target is still center of mass. Focus on the front sight - it's almost as good as proper sight alignment at close quarters.

The Army specified their new handgun, adopted in 1911, be capable of shooting through an horse. While some people are said to eat like one, I've never seen anyone that large. The eating part is also an exaggeration, as anyone who ever left a 50# bag of oats within reach can attest.

Even with soft armor, a double tap over the sternum or ribs is going to hurt, probably more than a penetrating wound. A shot to the head should be aimed at nose height, not eyes or forehead. That's the path to the medulla oblongata.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:18 AM

Mozambique Drill

When I practice the Mozambique drill, it is usually at 7 yds. I normally use an IDPA target. As the muzzle of the gun is recoiling upward from the 2nd COM shot, I press the trigger when the sights are in the center of the square area of the head...... I usually practice this drill without a cover garment, and will average about 1.8 seconds or better from the draw to firing three shots using my shot timer.

I never consciously look to shoot for the forehead or eye areas, I am simply trying to get the third shot centered in the head area. If you are consciously taking aim to the nose, you may be shooting slower than needed...... Any shot from a reasonably powerful hand gun that hits the head, nose, or mouth area should be effective to stop the attack.

Shooting for "the T" using a rifle can be very precise if there is enough time to aim precisely.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 05-22-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 AM

The amount of fat covering the sternum of a larger person is not remarkable compared to a smaller person. Maybe an inch thicker on even the largest. I'm referring the the area dead center of the chest between the pecs.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 AM

I always carry a gun with a larger caliber to work on larger targets which also works on smaller targets.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member