If the power goes out, who has a pressure canner? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 AM

If the power goes out, who has a pressure canner?

How many of you have/use a pressure canner worked into your emergency kit? I have two deer in the freezer and if the power went out, the first thing I'd do is start canning that meat. Then I started thinking about how great of a tool it is for long term food storage, or sterilizing equipment.
Do any of you have anything to add about a pressure canner as an over all good tool to have? Good or bad? Tips or tricks?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:47 AM

Happy New Year Mike!
Our entire family is pressure cooker savvy and so are many of our friends. I learned from my Mother back in the 40's and have had a PC in the house ever since. We have 2 large canners, 1 medium and 2 small and all get used on a regular basis. The large ones are put up for now but the medium and smaller ones get used a lot.
My daughter and her best friend share canning duties for our veggie gardens, apples from our tree, meat and fish. Yes indeed we like pressure cooking. My nephew and his wife are both ret'd Coasties and he loves to go fishing off the OR coast. Gave me a couple of cases of canned tuna last month. Another old friend in WY gave me a case of elk and venison when I went to help him fix a couple miles of fence. Another friend in AK said he was sending me a case of canned moose and another of salmon.
Anyone who misses this particular boat is really missing the boat!
Semper Fi
Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Happy New Year Flynrock, People don't believe me when I say they are eating trimmings from the deer. The canning process breaks down all the fat and other stuff so it's just unbelievably great (you know this).
I have a All American 921 (18 pint) canner and a Presto pressure cooker that I use every other day. Thanks for sharing, your post is a great motivator to those who don't believe.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Banned

we have an old non electric canner, that is best used with a GOOD thermometer as it's one of the old models that will explode like a grenade if not properly tended.

when I was a kid, Mom blew the lid off a "safety model" canner once.......oh LORD what a mess (tomato sauce)
Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 PM

I just got a allamerican 921 for christmas i cant wait to get some more experience with it thanks for the motivation guys
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Lots of good reference books at your local library for pressure cooking. If interested I'll check to see our favorite guide. We do indeed use ours a lot.
Rocky
Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 PM

"Pressure Cooking Perfection" is the most current book that we find to be of most use. Got to it by AmericasTestKitchen.com.
Great book with a lot of info how they got to conclusions. Highly recommended.
Rocky
Old 01-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

My favorite Uncle used to catch carp.......keep them alive a week in a barrel changing the water daily, then pressure cook and mason jar his own " canned" tuna carp.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:58 PM

If the power goes out , I have a natural-gas powered generator to power the basics plus some creature comforts. Even during electricity outages , the natural gas keeps flowing. If that stops , I have everything to convert to LP tanks in an hour or so.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM

Presto 1755 is the way to go.

WAY,WAY, WAY better than a deep freezer.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 PM

If you live in small towns, especially near where Mennonites and Amish live, the hardware stores will not only have Pressure Cookers but also the parts needed to keep them going.

Rockers, pressure relief buttons, gaskets, etc. etc. etc.

And yes, we have two in our home.

Use them frequently.

Makes for all kinds of good stuff.

Just pay close attention to making sure the gaskets and pressure relief buttons are kept in good condition.

Also make sure an allow the cooker to cool adequately prior to opening.

Our newest one has a pressure interlock in the handle. You cannot rotate the handle to open if the pressure interlock is in the "Up" or "Pressured" position.

It's reasonably easy to can turkey, chicken, sausage, pork, beef, fish and game such as venison.

Jars, lids and rings are also easy to get at small town hardware stores.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 01-04-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Yep,

.... and another side benefit is if you would just can in the first place instead of freezing, you would save a crap ton on your electric bill over the course of a year. Dump that freezer. Can goods can keep for more than a year. Most meat starts getting gamey after 6 months or so in the freezer. Keep your canned goods in a cool dark place, like a root cellar and they will last even longer.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM

check Amazon I bought one there 3 yrs. ago
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM

I am a bit surprised that there has been no move to ban them.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, I was waiting for it.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:52 PM

Canned deer meat has been a staple at our place for over 40 years. Just like beef and gravy on mashed 'taters....Don't know the details as the wife does the canning...we kill and cut up the critters.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM

This works for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
Canned deer meat has been a staple at our place for over 40 years. Just like beef and gravy on mashed 'taters....Don't know the details as the wife does the canning...we kill and cut up the critters.
If it aint broken, then don't fix it.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
After the Boston Marathon bombings, I was waiting for it.
This chick is slamming how stupid people are, look at some of her other videos. I think they call it a "satire".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8sHv3XTxI
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Wife's been using pressure cookers and canners our married life time. She learned from my Mother. Good stuff!

Also simple water bath canning is sufficient for most canning other than meats.

Bob
Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Markwell - It's pretty simple the way we do it.
1.) cut up deer into chunks that will fit into jars.
2.) pack meat into jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
3.) add beef boullion cube(s) 1 cube per pts., 2 cubes for qts. You can also add salt if desired but it's not necessary.
4.) secure lids and put in pressure canner.
5.) process at 10 psi for: qts - 90 min., pts - 75 min.
Folks that come over for a meal (who don't like deer) can't even tell it's deer
Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 PM

here is a tip

Just because I see so many err in this regard:

Once the lids are sealed REMOVE THE RINGS! Then wash the jars, dry, label with date then put them up.

leaving the rings on, keeps minute food particles in there or at least allows condensation to build up which then supports bacteria or mold growth which can prematurely break down the rubber portion of the lid, and thus defeat the vacuum seal YEARS earlier. Not only that, but the rings will be corroding prematurely as well.

Last edited by DaveVK; 03-05-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM

I have a Presto. I grew up canning. Don't forget about a salt box.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 AM

I replied to the spam thread, and that made me think of pressure canning. I found my old thread from 2 years ago. I'm still using my All American 921 pressure caner (no problems at all) and I found a AA 910 on CL for $60 NIB, so now I have two. I use the little 10 quart caner all the time. When I make soup or chili, I make a little extra and pressure can the extra 4 quarts. I would think pressure canning, or in other words being able to store food without electricity would be valuable in a crisis. Thanks for all the reply's guys, let me know if your using a caner and canning your own food? Any tips or tricks are always welcome?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVK View Post

Once the lids are sealed REMOVE THE RINGS! Then wash the jars, dry, label with date then put them up.

leaving the rings on, keeps minute food particles in there or at least allows condensation to build up which then supports bacteria or mold growth which can prematurely break down the rubber portion of the lid, and thus defeat the vacuum seal YEARS earlier. Not only that, but the rings will be corroding prematurely as well.
Not saying you aren't correct but I have never seen jars stored without the rings. Can you give some references?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVK View Post

Makes sense. The rings are unnecessary when the lid seals.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 PM

My Mom grew up on a red dirt OK farm before they were "Electrified" and lived through the depression of the 30's.

She tells of not having lids/rings, or the money to buy them anyway, so they'd "Can" the meat from a slaughtered animal and then pour rendered fat into the jar, sealing the meat into the fat and would keep it in the cool root cellar.

Thinking of that, I decided that having a good supply of rings and lids was a good idea.

Have enough rings to do our jars three times.

Enough lids to do them 50.