1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM

The "Criterion" a new IWB holster from Milt Sparks

The “Criterion” IWB holster by Milt Sparks

About 2 years ago and shortly after initial introduction of our “Nexus” IWB holster, I started to receive requests from customers that loved the 25 degree cant and seating depth of the Nexus, but lamented the lack of a reinforced mouth-band that is integral to most of the rest of our IWB line. The Nexus (as originally intended), was designed as an alternative to our popular “VM-2” IWB holster, for those customers that felt the VM-2 maybe rode a little too high, or with not enough cant, or both. It was also designed without the reinforcing band for those who prefered a thinner overall package.

Many have suggested that we simply offer a reinforced mouth-band version of the Nexus as an option and as simple as that may sound, adding a reinforced band (not a simple leather throat patch, but one where the metal reinforcement wraps around the front of the holster, outside to inside) is really not as simple as it sounds. I’ve experimented with the concept and while it is indeed possible, I haven’t been particularly impressed with the end result.

We have also received requests over the years, from those who would like to see us modify the original VM-2 to sit lower and with a little more cant. “Why not just copy those that are already copying your design and make yours like they do theirs” some would ask. Copying is certainly the easy way out, as shown by those who routinely do it to us. But like with the Nexus, sometimes modifying an existing design isn’t the best way to accomplish what one’s trying to accomplish.

Instead of just rehashing the old, the new “Criterion” IWB holster from Milt Sparks is our answer to those who prefer a lower riding IWB holster with an approximate 25 degree muzzle cant with the addition of a reinforced mouth-band.

A little history…

The first holster I designed as a professional working for Milt Sparks back in the mid eighties was a holster named the “Roadrunner”. The most prominent feature of the Roadrunner was the metal reinforced top encircling the back of the trigger guard as a means to support the opening instead of the more traditional way, which was formed around the front of the holster encircling the slide of the pistol. The Roadrunner holster was also called the 60TK, which was eventually revised to its current configuration from the original and the Roadrunner designation dropped.

Recently I’ve resurrected the reinforced, wrap around the trigger guard feature of the original Roadrunner to be used in some of our new designs. The Axiom for revolvers which has been available for awhile now and our new pocket holster for revolvers “The Manta” which is the subject of another introduction thread yet to be posted. Obviously, the trigger guard reinforcement wrap is the most prominent feature of our new Criterion IWB holster as detailed in the pictures below.

The pictures kind of speak for themselves, but I’ll be happy to answer any questions.

Finally and as part of the introduction of the new Criterion, I have made up a small batch of thirty-something holsters for immediate delivery. Most are made up on either the Commander or full size 1911 pistols, but I also have one for the 3” 1911 and two for the 4”1911. All holsters are black except for two Commanders and two 1911’s which are cordovan. I also have four left handers, two are for Commander and two for 1911’s.

All the above include the same magnetic snap loops that are featured on the Nexus. That will be a standard feature on the Criterion with snap loops available as an option.

First come, first serve, one per customer for in-stock holsters till they're gone! The introductory price of the new Criterion is $125 along with free shipping while the in-stock supply lasts! If you do wish to order one, please call the shop during normal business hours where the holsters are kept. I cannot reserve one for you via PM. Sorry.

To error is human, to forgive is canine.~ Duck Dodgers

Last edited by T. Kanaley; 11-02-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Very cool!
Wish you guys took orders on the weekends.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:51 PM

I also wish I could have got through this weekend !

Old 11-01-2014, 04:54 PM

I like the low ride. I am glad I cant order on the weekend as I am broke! Really like this one and I am gonna have to move something to try to get one of these.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Nice, too bad you don't have any other models ready to go!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to need one of these to go with my Nexus !
Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 PM

You have to be kidding me, I literally just sold my versa max II and replaced it with a TT gunleather Mike's special for this very reason.... The mikes special sits lower with more cant and is reinforced, which makes it much more comfortable with my glock 19 but slightly less quality than my old vm2.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:22 PM

With the glock the vm2 Sat to high for my liking because of the heavier grip and shorter barrel making it feel "floppy" on the belt. But with my commander 1911 my vm2 is amazing...go figure.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Hi,

Do you plan to release this for popular Glocks, SIGs and various S&W revolvers?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM

More pictures added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Hi,

Do you plan to release this for popular Glocks, SIGs and various S&W revolvers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW686man View Post
With the glock the vm2 Sat to high for my liking because of the heavier grip and shorter barrel making it feel "floppy" on the belt. But with my commander 1911 my vm2 is amazing...go figure.
I am already working on the Glock patterns, but as far as Sigs and revolvers go, that's kind of up in the air right now. Up in the air, but not off the table.

Fortunately I've had a little more time for R&D lately, which isn't always the case when we get real busy. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent building prototypes and refining holster patterns till I got where I was happy with them. It's not something you really want to do in a rush.

For instance, the Manta (a new pocket holster for J frame that I will launch a little later today) was a year and half long project that I worked on when I had the time. The actual hours spent developing it probably only amounted to a day or two with most of my time in-between working on other stuff, such as customer orders. Got to pay the bills you know...

Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post

For instance, the Manta (a new pocket holster for J frame that I will launch a little later today) was a year and half long project that I worked on when I had the time. The actual hours spent developing it probably only amounted to a day or two with most of my time in-between working on other stuff, such as customer orders. Got to pay the bills you know...
Wonder when your new design will be copied.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Nice, hope those lefty's last
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 PM

Still use my Roadrunner.... Looks like I need to get on the horn with Sparks tomorrow...Too cool
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Order placed. Thanks, Tony for announcing this new product her in the 1911 Forum.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 AM

All I gets is a busy signal....
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
All I gets is a busy signal....
Keep trying...

I got finally got through and scored a left-handed one for my Government Model.

-Tim
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Got through eventually and grabbed one for the commander
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM

I snagged the last left hand... commander
Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Only an hour into ordering and only 9 left!

Thanks to all!

Tony

Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Thank you, Tony. I just got my name on a 5" RH black. It's nice to get the week started with some good news.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM

All instock criterions are sold out!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM

That was quick. After a 3 1/2 hour run, all in-stock holsters are sold out!

Thanks again to all who participated!

Tony

Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

This is like calling in the radio station to win a prize the line is always busy.

Thanks TK.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 AM

So so glad I got one of these!
Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm
Wilson Combat: Beretta 92G Brig Tac, Beretta 92G CC
Old 11-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Wow!
Had I know that these were on the way when I called last week I definitely would have snagged one up. Unfortunately it looks like I missed the initial batch, but I'll definitely be placing an order for one soon!