1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotgolf2003 View Post
Mosin that looks great! I have been wanting to try one a kimber build I did with hi power cuts. You have motivated me! What throws me is how to do the indexed spring plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
EGW monogram bushing and plug.
Yup, already done for us. Plus I love the fact that I can order the specific dimensions for the bushing. Just make sure to specify the plug material. I believe the first one in the list is SS, so I made the mistake of ordering a bushing and leaving the plug default and got a blued bushing and SS plug. Had to get a blued plug later.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
Mosin, yes, it's nice if you can get the click but I don't consider it critical if the rest of it is good. For me these are always kind of "worry it in" kind of thing. I want it no-slop but to come apart without getting all barbarian about it. I'll put a pry slot on the RH side. I tell guys get a business card under there first if you need to pry. I really hate having to pry but I hate a sloppy joint there! In fact I don't care for ambis at all as they are also a disassembly PITA, necessitating the taking off of the RH grip off first or introducing more non-standard parts (sear pin or hammer pin).

BUT..... some guys really need them. I stopped trying to talk people out of them after this exchange with a very good customer 11 years ago:

Me: Ambi safety? Are you sure? So many down sides, and, I mean, really, in how many gunfights are you really going to be needing a safety you can manipulate with your left hand?

Him: Ah, I am at, sofar, 100%. Two for two, had to go to my left hand.

So, a guys asks for it, he gets it :-)

I do like the new EGW with the sleeve. I should help keep the blade and slot joint from opening up. Using a pair on a matched set right now, I think they are the first I've used. Clever lad that George.

My customers seem to get good life out of ambi's in general, even some factory-original ones that are not necessarily super-well fitted. When I saw for the first time how ambi's were joined I said "that'll never hold up"... yes they come loose and break once in a while but not like I thought they would. I think having stops up and down helps a lot.
Thanks, well, it is impressive nonetheless.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Yup, already done for us. Plus I love the fact that I can order the specific dimensions for the bushing. Just make sure to specify the plug material. I believe the first one in the list is SS, so I made the mistake of ordering a bushing and leaving the plug default and got a blued bushing and SS plug. Had to get a blued plug later.
I have seen those many times and never realized what they were. I thought they just had the monograms on front of the plugs.

Last edited by Scotgolf2003; 01-10-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM

wow - I have spent the last hour going through this thread and I know I'll be spending a lot more time as the work i impressive, to say the least.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Just reverse crowned my muzzle. I am using Brownells 45 degree crown cutter with a .45 pilot. Took about 20 min. Then I took the edge of the crown down so it is not sharp. Don't know if I should lap it or leave as is.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM

This one is coming along nicely. Cutting some bordered serrations.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM

Very beautiful flat top with arrow pattern serrations. Is this 40 LPI?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanks Def. It is very, very close to 40.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Very nice!!! Which cutter are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM

titanxt, The cutter is a 90 degree double angle in HSS. It cuts beautifully.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Straight up sexy.......
Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclevinger View Post
This one is coming along nicely. Cutting some bordered serrations.

Nice.

Is the front sight going back in as a staked? Or maybe a front end longitudinal dovetail?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaniecowpony View Post
Nice.

Is the front sight going back in as a staked? Or maybe a front end longitudinal dovetail?
Depending on the size of the hole you could do a glock front as well

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by stu929; 01-11-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Very, very classy look. Soon I will figure out if this thread is inspiring or depressing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
Very, very classy look. Soon I will figure out if this thread is inspiring or depressing.

Both!

Though I'm often depressed looking at the skill of others :-)

Old 01-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
Both!

Though I'm often depressed looking at the skill of others :-)

Haha! That makes two of us.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Wishing I had a few machines and time to try some of this out.

I do have a smiffin question though. I have a gunsmith fit gold bead front sight that I have filed down to fit the dovetail but I haven't trimmed the width. Whats the preferred method to trim it?

Ive been looking at different front sights to decide how to do it. I have seen some that appear to be filed while on the slide but im not daring enough to go this route so what say you?

Knock it back out, trim the sides and bevel it? Also will a blue pen work for the front sight? Should I rust blue it?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I do have a smiffin question though. I have a gunsmith fit gold bead front sight that I have filed down to fit the dovetail but I haven't trimmed the width. Whats the preferred method to trim it?

Ive been looking at different front sights to decide how to do it. I have seen some that appear to be filed while on the slide but im not daring enough to go this route so what say you?

Knock it back out, trim the sides and bevel it? Also will a blue pen work for the front sight? Should I rust blue it?

If I'm trying to blend to a slide with a finish I'll put two layers of blue painters tape on the slide and commence filing. Once you scuff the outside layer switch to a finer cut file and remove one layer. You can get with .003 doing that. Almost like fitting a recoil pad. ENSURE THE SIGHT IS CENTERED FIRST! Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_Housel View Post
If I'm trying to blend to a slide with a finish I'll put two layers of blue painters tape on the slide and commence filing. Once you scuff the outside layer switch to a finer cut file and remove one layer. You can get with .003 doing that. Almost like fitting a recoil pad. ENSURE THE SIGHT IS CENTERED FIRST! Lol

I had some good luck bead blasting with oxide instead of glass then cold bluing. Turned it a nice mat black. I was pretty suprised.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Filing it and blending it with it on the slide is the only real way to make it look like it grew there.

Northeast shipping agent for Ionbond.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:51 PM

roaniecowpony, , the picture was taken before the dovetail was cut. I like to cut the flat top and serrations in one set up for speed and accuracy. The Novak blank is fitted, now I have to trim to the correct height and install the SDM gold bead.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclevinger View Post
roaniecowpony, , the picture was taken before the dovetail was cut. I like to cut the flat top and serrations in one set up for speed and accuracy. The Novak blank is fitted, now I have to trim to the correct height and install the SDM gold bead.
How timely a post. Can you show that part!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM

I have a related question as well. I have seen people blend the front sights to the slide, but haven't seen too many rear sights blended in.

Is there a reason for that?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
Filing it and blending it with it on the slide is the only real way to make it look like it grew there.

My challenge with this is its an all stainless slide and the front sight still needs a finish.

I had debated trimming it slightly more narrow than the slide curve so that I have a flat to be able to drive the sight back on after finishing.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Most stainless guns have black or blued front sights.