Ten helpful tips for the first-time 1911 buyer - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

I think the OP`s first 1911 points are good but I don't think having all forged frame and slide is a absolute must....Guns with all forged parts come with a pretty high price tag for a first gun...

First time 1911 buyers will either love them or decide it`s not for them and go on to something else...Cast 1911`s guns are not bad at all...Alot can be said for a $400 RIA 1911 for a first gun...If you are going to be a 1911 type guy then the first 1911 won`t be your last so you have time to find out what want/need....

If you happen to be a person that has a a budget of over $1000 you will find what you want....Few decisions are absolute when purchasing guns... your first gun will rarely be your last gun...The journey is fun...Jim
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM

First Time Buyer

Forged Parts, got it. Rather than find out the better manufacturers are there manufacturers to stay away from if you want a good out of the box 1911 that you do not have to tinker with?
Thanks,
Newbie Sid
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Great info, especially for me as a new 1911 owner. However, too bad Colts are not budget friendly anymore....

Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Thank you for info great thread!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Appreciate this post, learned a lot from reading it. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM

DSK, as a first time buyer, who has not picked out a pistol yet, THANK YOU! i know i have tons to learn about 1911's. and this list gives me some things to think about, and a list to do research off from. i KNOW it will definitely help me make a better decision.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Great advice thank you !!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Feed & Eject Problems

Great Post!! Wish someone had told me the 10 golden rules of 1911's before I got into them years ago. I made some costly errors, to say the least. One thing I might add....IF a new 1911 owner is having feed and or eject problems, don't immediately blame the gun. Let an experienced 1911 shooter check it out. It might be your grip. I don't know how many times I have done this for new 1911 owners. You have to grip the gun and not let slip and don't limp wrist it or you will have eject & feed problems.

Again, thanks for the 10 golden rules of 1911 purchasing!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Wonderful summary! This is especially useful for the guy like me who is still researching his first 1911.

Thank you for posting this info!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Very well said and straight to the point. However, I need somebody's advise something bothers me which it keeps on hanging me in buying my dream pistols. I can't fully trust what was said in the manufacturer's website and hardly seen the internal components on my proposed; two (2) 1911 pistols. Does the Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 & Kimber Raptor II 1911 complies on what was mentioned in particular 2 & 3 points?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Way to go dsk. Excellent run-down for the first-time buyer.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Thank you again. It helped clarify the main important features that I needed to look out for.

Wound up buying a SA loaded today based on some of the info in this thread.

Thank you!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Great write up. Thank you for taking the time to help out us new folks narrow down the important factors regarding what and how to buy. Good job!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 AM

great list not only for 1st 1911, but 2nd or 3rd till i learn more about them. just browsing this forum helps a great deal. lots of experience at my fingertips. thanks guys !
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM

This seems like a good set of guidelines for purchasing ANY gun, not just your 1st or 1st 1911.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 AM

I'm getting my first 1911 (hopefully it will be here this Thursday) and have a couple questions. It's a Springfield Mil Spec SS and was wondering if the mags that come with this model are something I should chuck and upgrade right off the bat or should I shoot a few hundred rounds with some factory ammo to see how they work.

Also regarding tip #8, with not knowing how much packing grease/lube they use to protect the gun after assembly, is it safe to say a field strip and clean & lube would be enough or do the majority of the guns come smothered in grease as to warrant a detail strip and clean? Or is it something I'll just have to wait and see once I get it since they tend to vary in the levels of packing grease?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Jibbs; 09-12-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: grammar error
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Administrator

The factory magazines from Springfield should be good enough to start with. Run them first and see how it goes. As for lube, a simple field strip and cleaning/oiling the slide and frame rails, barrel, and moving parts should be enough. Like I said most 1911s out of the box are too dry, having been shipped in preservative oil only. Lube it well for the first 200 rounds, but don't overdo it or you'll get oil sprayed back in your face while firing it.

I like to detail-strip new 1911s that I buy just to inspect everything and be sure that every nook and cranny is cleaned and oiled, but it's not an absolute necessity. I mostly do it simply because I can.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 AM

Perfect! That's the info I was looking for. I'll follow those guide lines and let ya know the outcome.

Thank you!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM

List of "Don't Buy's"

As you post states, there a numerous manufactor's of 1911's. I think it would be helpful, to narrow down the options for a "first time" buyer, if a list of "don't buys" is also posted. This list should contain those manufactor's that provide poor quality product or just plain not safe.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Administrator

The problem with that idea is that any list would be clearly biased. I may have bad experiences with a particular maker but somebody else may not, and soon the accusations of fanboys and Kool-Aid drinkers start to fly back and forth. Every manufacturer has a certain percentage of guns that come back for warranty service, although some have higher percentages than others. It's also true that not everyone can afford the best-quality 1911s. Trust me, people don't buy an Armscor 1911 because they honestly believe it's a better pistol than a Nighthawk! But there are plenty of satisfied Armscor owners who understand that it's not a Nighthawk and they keep their expectations at a realistic level. And lastly, I have to admit that some of the complaints I often read on this forum are a little bit, shall we say..... anal. If you think your new 1911 is a piece of crap just because the slide and frame doesn't sit perfectly flush at the rear, or the trigger has a bit of vertical play maybe you're the type of person who should be spending $3000+ on a top-tier 1911.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

I only own 6 1911's and today is my first time reading this post. I only have 2 higher dollar 1911's and both are great. When I saw the first RIA I thought it would be a starter to build on to make it reliable from the price. I bought it expecting issues with reliability based on the price. I now own 4 RIA's and every one has been 100% reliable from the first shot The only complaint I can come up with is the ugly grips they come with and everyone has their favorite grip's and most are different. Personally I would trust my RIA's to function just as well as my 2 kimbers that are twice the price so the post is right the cost isn't always a factor in the choice of a good 1911. Because I have basically the same in my 4 RIA's that I do in my 2 kimbers. All 6 are 100% reliable so far.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM

IMO, DSK's signature should be told everywhere and should be in every new gun owners head when they have purchased a firearm.

"Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm. "

It goes back to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you for the list. Yiogo
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 AM

I am going to buy my first 1911 this Friday Nov 2 2012. I am really glad I read this information. I was actually considering a used gun due to the fact that I could get a better pistol than I couldn't otherwise afford or let me rephrase what my wife would let me spend without too much grief...lol. However after reading I will take the used route off the table. I shoot more trap than anything so knowing what to look for in a used pistol is just not my thing. I only own one hand gun and it is a M&P 40 and I love it. However I think the 1911 is a great looking gun and everyone I seem to talk to loves theirs. I have to keep my purchase under $900 therefore I'm sure I won't be getting the quality gun that the majority of you guys have but I have to start somewhere. I just want to play in the game. With my hetick schedule I will be lucky to shoot it more than once every couple of months but yet I still want one. For the money the Ruger SR1911 feels good, in my opinion looks good and has most of the features that I want in my first 1911. If you think I am making a mistake let me know I am a big boy and can take it. Thanks again for the provided information. I will read it again before leaving to purchase Friday morning