Lubricants and Cleaning Products and Techniques - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM

I've got a gallon of Breakfree CLP I bought for $30. It's my lifetime supply of cleaning and lubing product.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Lube #32- Plastilube! Yes, it's an older grease but, it holds the distinction of being the only grease ever developed specifically for Semi and Full-Auto weapons in Combat Conditions.

FWIW, for oil I use LSA.

Grease #33- Bacon grease
Grease #34- Lard
Grease #35- Bearing Grease

A thing about using Motor-oil on your 1911. Sure, Motor-oil lubes an engine good, it's also constantly washing the parts with said oil at a high pressure. But, what happens when your oil-pump goes out? Your engine will lock-up in short- order. Motor Oil is not designed for long-lasting lubrication It's designed to used in mass-quantities in constant motion,bathing the parts.

I would very much like for all you Motor-Oil users to post pics of your 1911s with the Oilpan and Pump attached.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Motor oil:

Considering most on here seem to clean after every range trip ,100-300 cycles of the slide shouldn't wipe off most engine oil. I've used it in the past and there was still oil on the slide at the end of a 500 rd range session. Whether it was designed for it or not, it still works.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM

I use Gun Butter oil and grease. I put a thin coat of grease on the slide's of my carry gun's. Never had an issue with it, and it stay's in place.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt7680 View Post
I use Gun Butter oil and grease. I put a thin coat of grease on the slide's of my carry gun's. Never had an issue with it, and it stay's in place.

Maybe not in AR.

We had a match locally last weekend. 20 degrees at match start. Several guns wouldn't run until they were liberally doused with oil and the slides racked vigorously. It seems sitting in the trunk of a car for 3 or 4 hours at 20 degrees makes things not work that work when it's warmer.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Maybe not in AR.

We had a match locally last weekend. 20 degrees at match start. Several guns wouldn't run until they were liberally doused with oil and the slides racked vigorously. It seems sitting in the trunk of a car for 3 or 4 hours at 20 degrees makes things not work that work when it's warmer.
Heck at 20 degree's I wouldn't want to work either.
I tested it on my Browning Buckmark at around 35degree's outside after I been out for a few hour's with it being just under my jacket. I figured if it was going slow down the slide on something it would be a .22.

On my rifle's I use oil, be hard to keep it warm.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibul View Post
Grease doesn't attract dirt. It merely holds on to it. Which by the way it's supposed to do.
holding on to it is not good either.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM

TW-25 for all my 1911's and metal guns.

I've tried it on the only polymer gun I own and it stays put on the slide but doesn't do anything for the plastic lower. I've also tried it on my 700 bolt with success, although not really necessary it does aid in the clean up process...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
A thing about using Motor-oil on your 1911. Sure, Motor-oil lubes an engine good, it's also constantly washing the parts with said oil at a high pressure. But, what happens when your oil-pump goes out? Your engine will lock-up in short- order. Motor Oil is not designed for long-lasting lubrication It's designed to used in mass-quantities in constant motion,bathing the parts.

I would very much like for all you Motor-Oil users to post pics of your 1911s with the Oilpan and Pump attached.
An engine will seize up becuase it isn't getting oil...not becuase the oil failed or because its a poor lube.

I'd be willing to be its damn near impossible to shoot a 1911 fast enough to heat it up to the point where it seizes from friction.

Oil is a VERY good lubricant and coolant for an engine which experiences FAR harsher conditions than a 1911 ever will.

A 1911 doesn't need an oil pan... it can hold the lube in the frame rails, and it doesn't need the volume of oil that is needed in a car engine.... And for the "average" lube schedule it holds to the gun very well.

MIke.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
An engine will seize up becuase it isn't getting oil...not becuase the oil failed or because its a poor lube.

I'd be willing to be its damn near impossible to shoot a 1911 fast enough to heat it up to the point where it seizes from friction.

Oil is a VERY good lubricant and coolant for an engine which experiences FAR harsher conditions than a 1911 ever will.

A 1911 doesn't need an oil pan... it can hold the lube in the frame rails, and it doesn't need the volume of oil that is needed in a car engine.... And for the "average" lube schedule it holds to the gun very well.

MIke.
Agreed... Considering most cars idle @ 700-1000 rpm of course an engine will seize if it runs dry. When was the last time anyone here fired 700 rounds out of their 1911 in a minute?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech05 View Post
Agreed... Considering most cars idle @ 700-1000 rpm of course an engine will seize if it runs dry. When was the last time anyone here fired 700 rounds out of their 1911 in a minute?
And its not even "in one minute" .... I had a friend who had a POS jeep he got, drained the oil out of it, and it ran for almost an hour before the engine seized up.

The fact is that by design in and engine, oil needs to be circulated to get to the valvetrain and keep fresh oil going so to help with cooling, but a car's friction/heat is exponential compared to what is witnessed in a pistol.

MIke.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Gun Butter.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
And its not even "in one minute" .... I had a friend who had a POS jeep he got, drained the oil out of it, and it ran for almost an hour before the engine seized up.

The fact is that by design in and engine, oil needs to be circulated to get to the valvetrain and keep fresh oil going so to help with cooling, but a car's friction/heat is exponential compared to what is witnessed in a pistol.

MIke.

lots of factors here, one is how loose the piston/rings are. A loose engine will run longer dry than a tight one. So sometimes those parlor tricks are partly tricks. However, I know lots of people that use good motor oils for their guns. Heck, based on that, you could use Slick 50.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Ballistol for the last 15 yrs.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

I can tell you ATF + STP oil treatment doesn't work good when its 5* outside.

GREAT for hot weather though... doesn't run and stays wet when its like 90* out.

MIke.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM

WeaponShield makes an excellent lube... Use it (sparingly) on all my rails... works great!!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

I hate the smell of motor oil with unbridled passion.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM

I was hoping to get a few rises! My description of Motor oil in an Engine was meant to underplay the point I was trying to make. Oils' main job is lubrication in an Engine, not cooling. To do so it must be constantly pumped through and against the parts or it washes/scrapes off leaving a dry part. Also, when Motor oil gets low in an Engine the Engine heats up from friction caused by the unoiled parts. This proves my point of constant lubrication being necessary with said oil. Were it good enough to stand on it's own, there would be no need to constantly pump it.

But, it's all good. If you want to use Motor-oil more power to ya. I just don't feel, based on what research and testing I've done, that it's adequate all the time. I mean, if you can generate enough, spit will lube a 1911 but, for how long?
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
I was hoping to get a few rises! My description of Motor oil in an Engine was meant to underplay the point I was trying to make. Oils' main job is lubrication in an Engine, not cooling. To do so it must be constantly pumped through and against the parts or it washes/scrapes off leaving a dry part. Also, when Motor oil gets low in an Engine the Engine heats up from friction caused by the unoiled parts. This proves my point of constant lubrication being necessary with said oil. Were it good enough to stand on it's own, there would be no need to constantly pump it.

But, it's all good. If you want to use Motor-oil more power to ya. I just don't feel, based on what research and testing I've done, that it's adequate all the time. I mean, if you can generate enough, spit will lube a 1911 but, for how long?
So what is the solution??? In a axle, transmission, transfer case, oil is "pumped" to the bearings.... By this theory no oil is sufficiant for lube.

So what do you suggest we use? Grease? But wait, grease opperates the same way though, it needs to be "kept" in the area.... in a car, bearings are sealed so the grease stays in.... what kind of "seal" does a 1911 have that will keep the grease in?

Sounds like grease isn't the solution either...

We can't "pump" oil onto a 1911... and we can't "seal" the grease into it(from escaping through the back/under the slide.

What will we do???!?!??!??!? No lube is sufficiant!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Lubrikit grease and oil. Safe and works really well.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:07 AM

hoppes elite cleaner and lube for all my guns

EGW , C&S trigger kit, ILS Removal Video/How-to:http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=350301
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Frog lube on every firearm I have.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the input......now I have some research to do....
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Mobil 1 10-30. Just keep her lubed well and get on with it.
I keep it in an old eye drop bottle. FP-10 is good stuff too. I was given a bottle and when she runs out I still have a couple quarts of Mobil 1 from my over buy I did when I was changing oil a few years ago. It will probably last the rest of my life and I will have at least something to hand down to my kids. Dads gun lube. LOL
Dave

Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Lubriplate

MikeyB