TR Trigger Job - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM

I just received a pro jig and it is a fantastic tool. I couldn't be happier!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM

does anyone have the Pro jig in stock right now??

Harrison is out and so is Brownells

..L.T.A.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
does anyone have the Pro jig in stock right now??

Harrison is out and so is Brownells

..L.T.A.
I'm in the same boat too.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Brownells does NOT carry the Pro Jig, only Elite Warrior and Harrison. We are moving as fast as we can making more, but it will still be a couple weeks before we have more finished.

CW
Old 10-05-2014, 05:54 PM

I got my new pro jig, thanks Chuck and John, and did my first trigger job yesterday. All I can say is wow what a difference, absolutely awesome.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Hi guys, what will be the lowest and safest poundage for the trigger, because I don't want to go overboard and make it semi-automatic
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Hi guys, what will be the lowest and safest poundage for the trigger, because I don't want to go overboard and make it semi-automatic
Really depends on your intended usage. I have found a 2# trigger can be quite safe and dependable, But 3.5# is really nice as well. Your trigger finger used only to fire, gets pretty educated.

LOG

Old 02-05-2015, 11:54 AM

Okay I just received the TR-805 jig that has .403 stamped on it. Did I make a mistake and by not ordering TR-806 with its four different radii???

The TR-805 means than I'm confined to using sears longer than .403 for stoning.

Also at what "angle" is the sear placed between both .403 jigs. I am totally confused on this on. Help.

A gunsmith I am not.

Last edited by tjkoko; 02-05-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
Okay I just received the TR-805 jig that has .403 stamped on it. Did I make a mistake and by not ordering TR-806 with its four different radii???

The TR-805 means than I'm confined to using sears longer than .403 for stoning.

Also at what "angle" is the sear placed between both .403 jigs. I am totally confused on this on. Help.
No, I don't believe you have made a mistake, the 805 is the original. The 806 costs quite a bit more, but provides 4 choices based on a given sear length. However, I believe the 805 you have, is the best single radius choice.

Refer back to the first post of this thread and you will see the sear is placed between the discs, with the sear pin through the discs and sear. This provides the true radius for the sear to be stoned too.

LOG

Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
.....Refer back to the first post of this thread and you will see the sear is placed between the discs, with the sear pin through the discs and sear. This provides the true radius for the sear to be stoned too.
LOG
The angle at which the sear is placed into the jig depends on the "correct" engagement its surface has with the hammer hooks, I presume?

A gunsmith I am not.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The angle at which the sear is placed into the jig depends on the "correct" engagement its surface has with the hammer hooks, I presume?
No, the sear is placed with the sear pin through the discs and sear, a sandwich. The radius is then stoned with the discs as a guide. The hammer hook tips land on the true radius that has now been stoned onto the sear primary.

Refer to the first post, of this thread. In this photo you can see the sear pin is past through the discs and sear pivot hole. The primary is then stoned to the true radius it passes through as it rotates, and why it is called true radius.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 02-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
No, the sear is placed with the sear pin through the discs and sear, a sandwich. The radius is then stoned with the discs as a guide. The hammer hook tips land on the true radius that has now been stoned onto the sear primary.

Refer to the first post, of this thread.

LOG
The sandwich and radius as a guide I understand and thanks much for your patience. And now I think I found the correct words:

Is the sear sandwiched so that the nose protrudes maximally???? Or is the sear rotated about the pin at a certain protrusion or angle??

Way back in the '90s before I had internet access I only had for reference Kuhnhausens Vol. I for reference and I spent many a' night working the mechanisms to learn as much as I could. And I will admit that I made every mistake that anyone could make, doing a trigger and hammer and sear job. And finally out of frustration I took the firearm to Ikey Starkes in Denver who straightenen everything and me out. He showed me what was wrong with my job: a weak sear spring!!!!!!!

As I've paid dearly for my education, this time I want to do things correctly!

A gunsmith I am not.

Last edited by tjkoko; 02-05-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The sandwich and radius as a guide I understand and thanks much for your patience. And now I think I found the correct words:

Is the sear sandwiched so that the nose protrudes maximally???? Or is the sear rotated about the pin at a certain protrusion or angle??

Way back in the '90s before I had internet access I only had for reference Kuhnhausens Vol. I for reference and I spent many a' night working the mechanisms to learn as much as I could. And I will admit that I made every mistake that anyone could make, doing a trigger and hammer and sear job. And finally out of frustration I took the firearm to Ikey Starkes in Denver who straightenen everything and me out. He showed me what was wrong with my job: a weak sear spring!!!!!!!

As I've paid dearly for my education, this time I want to do things correctly!
The protrusion of the sear primary surface above the discs is theoretically equal around its circumference, however due to the sear pivot hole and sear pin diameter there could be a sight variation as to this protrusion above the disc faces. As long as some is above the disc to stone the results will be as hoped. This does make the point that as the discs are snugged against the sear the nose can be pushed up or down slightly due to the pin and sear pivot hole tolerances. This can be used to your advantage, by stoning less allowing more later by re-positioning.

LOG

Old 02-05-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The protrusion of the sear primary surface above the discs is theoretically equal around its circumference, however due to the sear pivot hole and sear pin diameter there could be a sight variation as to this protrusion above the disc faces......LOG
Alright, so the sear's vendor-prepped engagement surface should run "parallel" with the jig's own adjacent surface with minimal protrusion. (Edit) Minimize the play between the sear's holes and sear pin allows. Best minimize protrusion at first.

A gunsmith I am not.

Last edited by tjkoko; 02-05-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:12 PM

ALWAYS push down on the nose of the sear for minimal protrusion. this also mimics its position under tension in the gun.

CW
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM

+1^^^^^

A gunsmith I am not.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM

So if a person only had one sear to do, other than filling that do-it-yourself urge, why wouldn't one just buy a True Radius sear from Brownell's and be done with it? It's $50 vs $60 -$120. What am I missing?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 PM

Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP155 View Post
So if a person only had one sear to do, other than filling that do-it-yourself urge, why wouldn't one just buy a True Radius sear from Brownell's and be done with it? It's $50 vs $60 -$120. What am I missing?
Many 1911 owners have several pistols. They might plan to acquire more pistols in the future. And yes, learning by doing can be very rewarding to some of us.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 PM

There are plenty of good video on youtube that teach this too.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP155 View Post
I tried to order TR805 from Brownells. It had been on backorder from Brownell's for over a month so I cancelled that order and went direct to Harrison Design. HD sent me a message that the TR805 is no longer in production.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiya View Post
I tried to order TR805 from Brownells. It had been on backorder from Brownell's for over a month so I cancelled that order and went direct to Harrison Design. HD sent me a message that the TR805 is no longer in production.

The following is what I intend to do for my one and only trigger job:

Once my new and unfired S.A Mil Spec has had around 1000 rounds fired thru it, it'll be totally stripped and (probably not) polished using anything from a translucent arkansas to a fine Gesswein.

As to the sear itself, I intend to use a shim measuring .040 - .060" and either the translucent arkansas or the fine Gesswein to stone the breakaway angle - VERY conservative but I'll be it'll reduce the pull just a bit. I wanna' be very conservative.

A gunsmith I am not.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM

I just followed the directions on the TR jig and got a perfect 3-1/2 pound pull on the Remington.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiya View Post
This is correct. I kept both going for a while, but discontinued the sale of the original jig in favor of the new one.

The Jigs are now available exclusively from Elite Warrior or Harrison Design.

CW
Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blke550 View Post
There are plenty of good video on youtube that teach this too.
As of just now, this is the only video I know of, showing proper use of the TR Pro jig. Thanks to Rhode Island Armory.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks5Bbw3Z7lk

CW
Old 04-24-2015, 03:51 AM

Cwarner?

Has anybody thought about a scaled down TR jig for the new 85% sized pistols?
Closed Thread