1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 04-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Need to add -

Book of Two Guns by Tiger Mckee

Intro by Clint Smith

Excellent read. TR grads will recognize a lot of the material, and learn a lot of new stuff as well.

A review - http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ighlight=tiger

Paul

Last edited by pangris; 02-22-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangris
Need to add -

Book of Two Guns by Tiger Mckee

Intro by Clint Smith

Excellent read. TR grads will recognize a lot of the material, and learn a lot of new stuff as well.

Paul
Paul:
After reading your review I bought one on Amazon and hope to have it next week. I couldn't find where Tiger was selling them on his sight.

Hey, just curious, is that his real name?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:10 AM

On Combat. Another read by Lt. Col. Grossman. Geared more toward LEO's than On Killing.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM

I just finished Tiger McKee's Book of Two Guns and all I can say that if you're looking for a peripheral brain on shooting tactics, either stuff you learned or have forgotten this may be the book you have been waiting for. I think Gun Site and Thunder Ranch graduates will recognize a lot of the material within the book. It is written by hand and the author drew all the pictures. It was a training diary that was reorganized and published. I give it 5 stars.
Book of Two Guns
Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 PM

I keep a copy of Tigers book - I have three now - in my car. Wearing it out.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:58 AM

Tried to buy Tiger's book off Amazon but they (Tiger's company, not Amazon) don't deliver to my country. Bummer.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:32 AM

PM me and I'll see about getting you a copy.

Paul
Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 PM

I've recently read and would add these books to the list:

Deadly Force Encounters: What Cops Need to Know to Mentally and Physically Prepare for and Survive a Gunfight by Dr. Alexis Artwohl and Loren W. Christensen (Amazon Link)

and

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonazales (Amazon Link)

The first, is a complete survival guide that offers good information on pre-event preparation, surviving the actual event, and surviving the event aftermath, both legally and emotionally.

The second does not directly reference gunfights except once, but provides wonderful insight in to the nature of survival.

"Shoot deliberately." - Wyatt Earp
A 9mm may expand but a 45 never shrinks.

www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:28 AM

PM sent, pangris. Thanks for the offer.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Ordered Tiger's book off Amazon the other night, I hope to receive it soon. I'm gonna buy some more of these titles too, sounds like good info.
Dan Wesson PMDP #309
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudge
Ordered Tiger's book off Amazon the other night, I hope to receive it soon. I'm gonna buy some more of these titles too, sounds like good info.
You won't be disappointed. I have 2 copies of the book and keep one at work to read when I have a few free minutes. The nice thing about the book is that it is packed with useful information in bullet or paragraph style. Sort of a Reader's digest of everything you wanted to know about operating a tactical handgun/rifle. It has a very strong Thunder Ranch flavor to it and I am using it as a study guide preparing for my return trip to TR in September for my 3rd pistol course and first rifle course.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

A few new ones since I originally posted my list:

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram
Biography of the man who not only developed the OODA loop but was one of the finest tacticians in history.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell is about is about unlocking your unconscious mind so that you can make good decisions in the minimum time period.

Gates Of Fire by Steven Pressfield
The 480 BC battle of Thermopylae between 300 Spartan warriors and two million invading Persians is a must read for anyone wishing to improve their "combat mindset".
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 AM

"The Duck of Death" from the movie Unforgiven.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 AM

The Book of Two Guns by Tiger McKee is fantastic. The illustrations are excellent and new ideas I never encountered before abound. Still reading it since I received it in the mail.

Many thanks to pangris for his assistance in acquiring a copy. Thank you very much, Paul!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the Real World by Bryan Williams. It deals with various issues, and is a great book that describes what carrying a firearm is all about. It has very good tips and strategies for living in today's world, even if you don't carry a weapon. It also has great pictures demonstrating various drawing techniques like the 1 handed reload. Written in plain english, very easy to understand and has many lessons for the novice as well as the professional.

The book has 2 different parts, the first being more about the mindset, awareness of your world around you, how to avoid confrontations, etc, and the second part is the technical issues associated with handguns and other self defense equipment (pepper spray, knives, holsters, etc). Lots of good info in a very easy to read format. Clear discussions, but doesn't bog the individual down with too much technical information. Some books are heavy into firearm tactics, different stances, draws, and it makes some beginners heads spin. This book gives the basic info as to different draws, stances, etc, but does so clearly and cleanly, without trying to push certain equipment or styles.

I consider myself a novice to CCW, as I have only been doing it for a few years, and this is a great book to get you some information without overwhelming you. Very easy for a beginner to understand, yet it still holds valuable lessons for any skill level. Great book to read before you start taking advanced courses. The author is an outstanding instructor and this is evident in how his book is put together. Highly recommended, even for people who don't carry a firearm!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:25 AM

"In Gravest Extreme"...Ayoob
"Principles of Self Defense"...Cooper
"Book of Five Rings"....Masashi
"Tactical Reality"....Awerback
Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Gates of Fire is an outstanding book! I have read it several times. What an excellent book on loyalty, courage, and determination. A must read.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:39 PM

Paul Weston - dated but worth a look. Jim Cerillo

Paul Weston - dated but worth a look. Jim Cerillo for an updated look at some of the same issues.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 AM

Could anyone recommend the top 2 books on handgun tactics and which online store sells them internationally? I can't go about buying all of those books just yet. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by Kiddo; 01-30-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM

I find it ironic that none of you have read "Shooting to Live" by Fairbairn and Sykes. Probably THE difinitive work on close quarters defensive handgun work.

Jim
We'll settle this the old Navy way, first one to die loses!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Who said they haven't read it? It simply didn't make it to my personal list of best reads.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM

So, what was your opinion of it? By "best reads" I interpret that you found it hard to read? Just curious.

Jim
Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Jim,

I thought it was a good book but like many written by people with comparable backgrounds, it was more a collection of thoughts or experiences that don't necessarily flow (and perhaps shouldn't as they weren't professional writers). Some of the books that made my list presented concepts clearly derived from F&S. I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet either of them as I suspect it would have been very worthwhile.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Very insightful. And I agree completely. Fortunately, I had several "Highly Motivated" interpreters and didn't realize that those training methods were being implemented until later. On different note, the one book that was mentioned above that I did NOT like was Askins "Unrepentant Sinner". (I recently sent my copy to a Forum member from another board). Again, more History than Info. (I also believe he was borderline nuts!) Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 AM

LTC Grossman

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "On Combat" by Dave Grossman. Understanding combat psychology and physiology is paramount to any deadly force situation. Anyway, I found it to be an excellent read, especially out here and for those of us that are still... well... green.