Self Defense Training Videos - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM

I own the majority the Thunder Ranch and Magpul dvds and have nothing but great things to say about them. Very informative and just rich with detail. Clint Smith is always a bit more layed back than your "typical" instructor and then Christ Costa & Travis Haley of course are your run and gun types. Both are highly recommended training genres.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Self-defense DVD's

There is hardly anything a person cannot learn from YOU TUBE videos on the subject of self-defense and shooting.

Once you start searching for them you will learn who is an expert in his field and knows what he is talking about. Keep tract of the people's names who seem to be very knowledgeable and re-watch them a few times over.

One of the best things about You Tube is that there is many out there WITHOUT stupid background music like some of the DVD's you pay big bucks for. You will have to put up with ads, but just X them out.

One bad thing about You Tube is that it is addicting and you might spend too much time on it. It sure beats mindless TV though.

Checkout modernsurvivalonline.com. Lenny McGill has about a dozen of them on there about close-quarter shooting with the M-16.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Gunsite DVD's = Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Pork View Post
Watched Gunsite's Concealed Carry I today. Thought it was pretty weak. Very short. And it contained a very long Galco commercial masquerading as holster advice.
Oh man. I completely agree. I bought both the first and second edition DVD's and was so disappointed in the first one I haven't even opened the second one. I did learn a couple pointers for clearing a weapon in a confrontation, but otherwise not impressed.

The music and video felt really dated too.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolverman View Post
The best self defense videos I think I have see are from Valhalla Training Center in Colorado. Rob Pincus does a great job in a full series of DVDs. He covers common topics as well as lots of speciality training.

You can get information from the NRA (Where I got my DVD's or from the Training venter itself.

This link has a "Click here for more information" button that you can use:

http://directory.officer.com/product...raining_Center
"Page Not Found
We're sorry, but the page you've requested cannot be found."
Old 05-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Has anyone attended Front Sight Firearms Training Institute? Interesting website.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Pepper Spray Demo on SOTG

This week on Student of the Gun they talk about OC/Pepper Spray as an alternative use of force to a gun. They conduct a live-exposure and show the effects. http://www.studentofthegun.com
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo View Post
I saw a brief clip of one of Thunder Ranch's video's playing at a gunshop. Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch more but I liked what I saw. I like the way Clint Smith teaches. IMHO, he is the premier trainer today. I will be buying his video's.
We have a couple of Thunder Ranch's DVDs. One for ladies concealed carry and the other is Defensive Handgun. Clint Smith is an excellent instructor and I will buy more of his DVDs.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
Gabe Suarez.. defensive pistol and close combat
+10 Gabe is 1st class no BS and has a lot of real world experience to draw on. His techniques are constantly being honed and taught. Talk about some tough instructors? But they teach you how to survive a gunfight, not kill paper targets.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensive.edge View Post
Amen to that! Louis is an AWESOME instructor. He's also quite humble given his amount of real-world experience.

If it has Louis' name attached, I'd put a lot of faith in it.
Louis and I were classmates at Gunsite back about 1980. We had a lot in common from South Africa and he is a great guy.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 PM

training videos are good but no substitute for live fire training.
Find a facility near you and train train train!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Self Defense Training Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45goldcup View Post
I sure would hope everyone knows that. There's nothing wrong with using videos to pick up some tips then apply them in your own training. Hell, even though I'm not a fan of the older Magpul style, I picked up a few things from the videos.

Panteao Productions has some great stuff now from Pat Rogers, Paul Howe, Travis Haley, ISA for driving, plus one or two others worth watching.

Absolutely not a substitute for training, but the ability to watch scenes over will allow you to pick up on little things, and again, apply them in real training.

I dry fire my handgun and rifle daily. For a while, I was doing live training two to three days a week, even if only for 30 minutes. Now I get out about every ten days, but still do daily dry work, not just dry firing though.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 10-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45goldcup View Post
I do not think anyone is advocating the use of videos over hands on training. However, videos from quality instructors are an excellent supplemental tool in the training tool box.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolverman View Post
The best self defense videos I think I have see are from Valhalla Training Center in Colorado. Rob Pincus does a great job in a full series of DVDs. He covers common topics as well as lots of speciality training.

You can get information from the NRA (Where I got my DVD's or from the Training venter itself.

This link has a "Click here for more information" button that you can use:

http://directory.officer.com/product...raining_Center
I really like the DVDs by Rob that I got through the NRA. Easy to watch, holds your attention, real world tactics not gun range routines. I just got a new one from the NRA with a special section called Wrong Woman which is very practical real world self defense. it also has a section on home use of a pump action shotgun. I wasn't too much interested until i started playing it, then I couldn't turn it off. i insisted that my wife watch it, especially the wrong woman bonus section.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 PM

What's the opinion on Fighting With the 1911 with Tiger McKee? I'd like to see something tailored to the 1911, but I can't find many reviews on it.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpedzinski View Post
Has anyone attended Front Sight Firearms Training Institute? Interesting website.
I have. Probably worth the money if you find one of the (many) members who will sell you a membership at a steep discount. The training is reasonably high quality. One major fault that I objected to is the rigid insistence on using their methodology and no other. For example, in over 40 years of shooting I have evolved away from the Weaver Stance into a very comfortable and accurate variation of an Isosceles Stance. The instructors would not let me use my preferred method and were quite insistent on "correcting" me to use the Weaver Stance even though I was the most accurate shooter in the class. They applied similar antiquated techniques to clearing malfunctions. Their courses are worth attending, but be prepared to shoot "their" way.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

They just ask that you give a good effort to use what they teach, after a while they stop and let you use what you are used to if you find it better.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 PM

I enjoyed Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol video. It focuses more on "shooting", if that makes any sense, than a tactical video.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rivers View Post
I really like the DVDs by Rob that I got through the NRA.
i just watched the PDN Combat Focus and Home Defense one, really good stuff, and Rob explains it all very well. and my in-progress "tactical" class is in alignment with Rob's training, as well as some others i have seen. for me though, my class starts off in the basics of it all, and then will mix in some Krav Maga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG20 View Post
I enjoyed Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol video. It focuses more on "shooting", if that makes any sense, than a tactical video.
this is an interesting post to me. the way Rob Pincus explains it, "shooting" & "tactics" are inherently linked together. good shooting = good tactics and vice-versa. i think in the realm of tactics it falls into a simple set of mechanics (to simplify your options which lends to better accuracy and efficiency), coupled to some cognitive things. bundle it all together and you get what Rob calls "combat ready shooter".

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 02-08-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:12 PM

Gun handling and shooting techniques

This won't cost you a dime and is one of the best instructors I have seen.Go to YT and search Ron Avery. I use his 5 dot warm up every time I go to the range.I spent 30 yrs. teaching and he is the best I have seen on gun techniques.