Self Defense Training Videos - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

These are excellent for carbine training and mindset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQTpTljLz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye30b3TL5wI
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM

The best self defense videos I think I have see are from Valhalla Training Center in Colorado. Rob Pincus does a great job in a full series of DVDs. He covers common topics as well as lots of speciality training.

You can get information from the NRA (Where I got my DVD's or from the Training venter itself.

This link has a "Click here for more information" button that you can use:

http://directory.officer.com/product...raining_Center
Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 PM

I've got a couple of the original Jeff Cooper videos that have been put onto DVD. In my opinion they are very good. They are very fundamental with nothing fancy thrown in. Kind of meat and potatoes.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Dittos on recommending Clint Smith's videos. Good, proven, common sense tactics and equipment recommendations from a guy who's been there and done that.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Only one I've seen so far...

A while back, our friends at the NRA sent me a DVD on Personal Firearm Defense. It was part of a series...one of those "here, watch this and if you like it, please send us some money for it" deals. Rob Pincus (at Valhala at the time) is the instructor and what I like about it was that he works with what the body does naturally. I figure that alone is worth at least a few weeks of trying to train yourself to do something that wouldn't come naturally as a reflex. I liked the DVD, it was very informative, I may just send a check for it
S&W M&P15 5.56 / S&W M&P15-22 / Marlin 336 .30-30 / Savage 3D .22
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 AM

The new Magpul Pistol DVD is out. Have min coming in this week. I will for sure post a review as soon as I watch it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I just got the Magpul "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" it is an excellent resource for novice and more experienced shooters alike.

I have been shooting for over 20 years and I learned a lot just watching the "fundimentals" video's. FWIW, there are 4 DVDs with over 7 hours film.

Well worth it, I will be getting their carbine course on DVD as a result of what I learned about the handgun.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 AM

Great post i must say absolutely incredible informations thanks for sharing.......

Last edited by dave1280; 03-13-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 PM

PRACTICAL UNARMED COMBATIVES VOLUME 1
Author: Michael D. Janich

http://www.staysafemedia.com/product...TIVES VOLUME 1

Many people get really good at firearm skills but not with skills to get to their firearm when the attack is on at breathing distance. Many of Michaelís videos like the one above teach such skills
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Self Defense

I bought some cool targets online and had some fun at the range. I made a short video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NosNEIvmucA
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM

The art of dynamic hangun

I purchased this video and was pleased with the info.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
I purchased this video and was pleased with the info.
I was as well. I have there carbine DVD's 1 and 2 and for the heck of it I bought Aerial Platform Operations. Great stuff and I love the drills sections where they go over everything in detail for you to follow. These are much better than the Thunder ranch video and all others I've seen.

For other defensive videos, I have all 5 of the Emerson Edged Weapons series and the Karambit videos. These are amazing.

I also have the 6 DVD set from Alain Cohen - Krav Maga - The Israeli Method of Close-Quaters Combat. These are also amazing.

Now, I must add that I've been studying Krav Maga for 4 years now and Emerson's Knife fighting style for 5 years. I've been going to at least one advanced handgun and one advanced carbine class a year, but usually more.

My point is that these videos are great, but the DO NOT replace a class. My view on it is to get to as many classes as possible, preferably those that teach similar styles, then watch the videos when not attending classes. you'll pick up all kinds of the things that you missed before. Especially if the have a drills disc as well.

There's nothing wrong with attending different classes with different styles, but for me, i had to choose what I thought was better for me. For example, Chris and Travis and Magpul get you to put the gun low and inside tight. They have you push your shoulders forward and square up with your support hand far out on the rail with a very high grip on it.

Clint Smith on the other hand has you bring the gun up high to your check with your body bladed. your support hand elbow is bent a good bit and your elbows are winged out. You're standing straight up and down with your feet spread shoulder width. With the Magpul guys your far forward, very aggressive. The styles are very different. The more aggressive style works for me.

Both of these (along with Valhalla, Gunsite Shootrite, Tiger Valley, etc.) are great and both should be attended before you decide what ultimately is right for YOU. Use the videos for refreshers and watch them over and over. You'll improve a lot from the videos, but even more from the classes.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Absolutely agree! I think the videos come in very handy once you've been taking different classes and it's something to fill the time in between. I've noticed that especially with the carbine videos from Magpul, for example. I've taken the carbine classes, but was reminded of different things when I watched the videos a few weeks later.

They definitely will never replace actual training, but they will aid in the training if you get the good ones.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM

I just ordered The Art of Dynamic Hangund 4 disc set and will be happy to give a full review as soon as it gets here.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 PM

It's a great set and it's really nice to have the drills on one disc all together. I use a thumbs forward grip and have for years. I've showed some people why I like it the best, but on the disc, Travis Haley explains it very well and shows why it works better than other grips.

I've really enjoyed the set and watch it every now and then.
~Paul Howe~
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 AM

I sell them through theGompa.com
Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Another +1 for the Thunder Ranch series. Clint Smith keeps it simple and makes it easy to understand how to apply the skill set to the fight at hand.

I was not really impressed with the Magpul videos. I found them to be more "tacti-cool" than tactical.

As others have posted, videos don't replace quality instruction.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM

Thunder Ranch

All the Thunder Ranch Videos are great. Tactics and Defensive Hangun.

But the bottom line is that you need to go out and work this stuff.....
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Magpul

I have several of the Magpul Dynamics series and recommend them. They do a good job of presenting the material and it's based around practical shooting.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Magpul Dynamics... period.

Magpul Dynamics are the best. I also like TR and Rob Pincus. But Magpul is just too good.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Magpul in my opinion makes the very best videos for weapon manipulation. As far as SD videos, Rob pincus from I.C.E training is very articulate and does a good job.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
I was as well. I have there carbine DVD's 1 and 2 and for the heck of it I bought Aerial Platform Operations. Great stuff and I love the drills sections where they go over everything in detail for you to follow. These are much better than the Thunder ranch video and all others I've seen.

For other defensive videos, I have all 5 of the Emerson Edged Weapons series and the Karambit videos. These are amazing.

I also have the 6 DVD set from Alain Cohen - Krav Maga - The Israeli Method of Close-Quaters Combat. These are also amazing.

Now, I must add that I've been studying Krav Maga for 4 years now and Emerson's Knife fighting style for 5 years. I've been going to at least one advanced handgun and one advanced carbine class a year, but usually more.

My point is that these videos are great, but the DO NOT replace a class. My view on it is to get to as many classes as possible, preferably those that teach similar styles, then watch the videos when not attending classes. you'll pick up all kinds of the things that you missed before. Especially if the have a drills disc as well.

There's nothing wrong with attending different classes with different styles, but for me, i had to choose what I thought was better for me. For example, Chris and Travis and Magpul get you to put the gun low and inside tight. They have you push your shoulders forward and square up with your support hand far out on the rail with a very high grip on it.

Clint Smith on the other hand has you bring the gun up high to your check with your body bladed. your support hand elbow is bent a good bit and your elbows are winged out. You're standing straight up and down with your feet spread shoulder width. With the Magpul guys your far forward, very aggressive. The styles are very different. The more aggressive style works for me.

Both of these (along with Valhalla, Gunsite Shootrite, Tiger Valley, etc.) are great and both should be attended before you decide what ultimately is right for YOU. Use the videos for refreshers and watch them over and over. You'll improve a lot from the videos, but even more from the classes.
I've trained with Mr. Emerson. Great instructor, awesome knifemaker and all around cool dude.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM

magpul dynamics

Ive seen some magpul dynamics videos mainly focusing on tactical shooting but their videos have several helpful points and styles of shooting so i recommend that video if your looking to improve your tactical shooting which in turn may help you with defensive tactics.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM

I recently watched magpul dynamics The Art of The Dynamic Handgun. I thought they were well done good video and great teaching. Only second to real training. They tell why they teach what they do and besides some different malfunction clearing. I agreed with all of there teachings. Check out previews on YouTube.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Thunder Ranch Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53 View Post
I am very impressed by the Thunder Ranch videos. Clint Smith has a way of cutting through the nonsense that I find refreshing.
I agree completely. I got the entire collection from Thunder Ranch and I believe there are a great resource, especially for novel shooters. I have only one complain with Thunder Ranch...nothing to do with the vids, all clases are full...from today to dooms day...impossible to book a class with Clint. signs!

Other than that, TR training vids are a great resource and I recomend it.

Taipan.