What's the best 1911 movie? - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 AM

Way of the Gun had some excellent technical direction when it came to gun handling and tactics. I love that movie.

It was a horrible film, but there are some great scenes of Alec Baldwin (I know, I know . . ) handling dual 1911's in The Shadow.

Good list so far.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Don't forget Nicholas Cage's pair of garish gold-plated Springfields in Face Off.

Ed Harris' character in The Rock is who got me wanting a stainless Colt Government Model so badly back in the 90's.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Band of Brothers was awesome, too - but I just don't remember a whole lot of 1911-intensive scenes. The one memorable scene with a 1911 in it that I can remember was actually a Hollywood gaffe - it's in the episode when the 506th liberates the Jewish concentration camp, and Private Webster starts to take all the cheese and bread from the local baker, who then complains loudly. Webster pulls his 1911 on the man, and it's wearing 3-dot white sights!
Also when Speirs was pointing the 1911 at the drunk private for shooting Grant.

JD

Last edited by Staff; 05-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 AM

for mine its ...last man standing with bruce willis ..........a pair of 45's , lots of ammo and looking like he knew how to use them ..even the mag changes looked cool ...
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM

RE: LAST MAN STANDING, how did he carry the 40-11 magazines he was loading?
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Yeah, last man standing was cool. Even more than how did he carry all that ammo, for me, was, when he was sitting at the table how did he load all those mags?...his fingers had to have been killing him

Many others have been mentioned, but what did it for me was Pacino carrying the officer's model in Heat. That's what made me put ivory grips on my Kimber PC. Just a classic look.

One that hasn't been mentioned --> Titanic. The a-hole fiance' bodyguard had an engraved nickel plated 45, and that was when Browning's design was brand new.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:35 PM

My votes go for

Ronin: DeNiro tells Bean's character "..actually I prefer the 1911."
Bean: ".45, old gun"
Deniro: "It served my country well."
Bean: "Your country, not done so well in the past couple of wars, yeah?"
Deniro: "At least we don't go around whining about it."

Or something like that

Saving Private Ryan: Hanks is hit on the bridge, and is shooting his GI at that tank, and then it explodes! .45 ACP power FTW!!!

S&W 1911 Satin Silver w/Tac Rail
Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm
1971 4" .22 Colt Diamondback
Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Everyone quotes Ronin, but DeNiro only uses the 1911 in one shootout and goes w/ some sort of Sig for the rest of the movie.

Training Day:
Alonzo is packing twin 4506's (they should have done a scene where he tries to reholster them), a Glock w/ a chromed slide, a sawed off 870 bolted under his smokin' hot ho's bed, and finally a 5" govt model in a holster under the dash. Ironically, he is apparently out of guns when he runs into the Russkies.

When Hoyt is pointing the 1911 at Alonzo, the hammer is down.

Check out Narc - a very brutal and realistic movie that also makes the 1911 hammer down boo-boo, which sucks as the rest of the gun stuff is spot on.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

I watched part of Red Dawn yesterday. I caught yet another 1911 malfunction on-camera. The American dude who climbed onto the Russian tank, trying to shoot his .45 through the open ports got off just one shot before it jammed. Despite that he continued to "shoot" several more rounds before the scene changed. Gotta love the miracle of the post-production sound man.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Ronin is one of my favorites and Steven Segal in Fire Down Below.I love the scene at the truck stop where he has a shootout with the two dirty agents.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
I watched part of Red Dawn yesterdqay. .... The American dude who climbed onto the Russian tank, trying to shoot his .45 through the open ports got off just one shot before it jammed. ...
Played by Powers Boothe.

(My question on RED DAWN is, how did those kids stay so clen and their hair so neat while camping in the mountains all winter?)
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Here is a site that claims to be movies with 1911's in them. Hope this wasn't already posted. I think we beat this list pretty quick.

As far as the kids in Red Dawn being so clean...I imagine all those boys were trying to keep Erin Grey taken care of.

www.gunsinmovies.com/guns/1911.html
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Sin City, Last Man Standing, Windtalkers, Way of the Gun, and Spartan with Val Kilmer.

There's one scene where a team of Spec-Ops guys is gearing up in Spartan and a fellow operator looks at Kilmer's 1911 and says "You still carrying that?" and Kilmer just gives of this sly little smile, like he knows some kind of big secret. That and seeing William H. Macy with a stainless 1911 in the movie was pretty damn cool.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Gonna show my age here . . .

Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia

with Warren Oates

Understand that Oates was military armorer and had a lot of experience with the 1911.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Hands down, best movie to feature the 1911 prominently:

LAST MAN STANDING!!!

Gotta' love a movie where they actually show a table full of mags and multiple reloads! Usually they have that endless magazine and always manage to shoot 30 rounds out of a 7 round mag!

Steven Seagal Movies:

While I can't defend his acting, Seagal is a tried and true 1911 fan, he owns tons of them and he really knows how to use them. His familiarity with the 1911 comes across clearly on film, although many now frown on his squeeze check for a loaded chamber.

As for TV:

Gotta' love Magnum P.I. & his stock USGI 1911A1! Made me want to go out and buy one when I was still in elementary school!

Also on TV:

Nash Bridges: Main character carried a custom 1911 built by Mac's .45 Shop in California in .38 Super.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM

"Best" movie is a matter of opinion, but "movie in which the 1911 gets the most screen time" has to be Last Man Standing, I'd guess.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Band of Brothers was awesome, too - but I just don't remember a whole lot of 1911-intensive scenes. The one memorable scene with a 1911 in it that I can remember was actually a Hollywood gaffe - it's in the episode when the 506th liberates the Jewish concentration camp, and Private Webster starts to take all the cheese and bread from the local baker, who then complains loudly. Webster pulls his 1911 on the man, and it's wearing 3-dot white sights!
"Oh my mistake, you're not a Nazi. How about a human being? Are you one of those?!"

NRA(Lifetime) & TSRA MEMBER and CHL holder, & always will be.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 PM

'Platoon' is on right now. Isn't there a scene where Sgt Barnes pulls out a 1911 and sticks it to the head of some Vietnamese kid during an 'interrogation'? Also, 'Apocalypse Now' is a classic (the first half of it at least and considering Martin Sheen is in it) Is there any 1911 scenes there? Haven't noticed anyone say if there was.

Besides the cemetery scene in 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly', is there any other sequence in movie history as cool as those Air Cav helos attacking that VC post? If there is, you must post it alongside this topic. LOL.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Best 1911 movie I've ever seen is the instructional video by Todd Jarrett
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger345
Also, 'Apocalypse Now' is a classic (the first half of it at least and considering Martin Sheen is in it) Is there any 1911 scenes there? Haven't noticed anyone say if there was.
He has a 1911 under his pillow while he gets loaded in his hotel room and then later in the movie he executes a wounded civilian. Dont think he ever uses it in a gunfight.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 PM

May not be the "best" movie...but nobody has mentioned it....The Punisher.
Just before the family massacre...2 nice custom 1911's in the case in the house if I remember right.

And "Titanic"...the new version of course. Cant remember the guys name but he was the "bodygaurd"....had a nice engraved nickel 1911. And that was a good movie.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://1911auto.org

Last edited by ridgerunner665; 05-10-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 AM

i have to agree that steven seagal has some nice 1911's. i was surprsed when i didnt find mention of them right off on here.. lol.. than i found it.

i liked his first couple of movies, and he used 1911's in his better movies. he carried a variety of them, from 70 series gold cups to a cool officers model slide on a full size caspian frame.

yeah his movies suck and i havent watched them in years, but i still like watching hard to kill and above the law every now and then....

last man standing i think has the most votes on here, and it certainly would be my favorite! walmart has it in the 7.50 cent bin now.. lol..

its as much as a 1911 advertisment movie ( knocking people through the air.. lol ) as twister is a 90 minute dodge commercial!

heres something no one has mentioned:

i love the episode of m*a*s*h* where hawkeye and potter are under enemy fire and the are shooting off their 1911's in the air ( slighty drunk at the time!)
i laugh everytime i see that!

russel5150
SDMF
Old 05-11-2007, 04:32 AM

Views

Best pistol fighting:
-Collateral (H&K)
-Steven Segal (all small weapons)

Nice 1911 stuff not yet mentioned:
-Speed
Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 AM

black hawk down
heat
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commiedoor
for mine its ...last man standing with bruce willis ..........a pair of 45's , lots of ammo and looking like he knew how to use them ..even the mag changes looked cool ...
This is where I'd put my vote. Bruce Willis did an excellent job running two 1911s at once. And yes, the double mag changes made it even better.
Ever try that in real life?
It's doable but not that easy...
Steven Segal was OK but Bruce made them great!

I may have to go rent it again....