What's the best 1911 movie? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM

Have you seen "The Getaway"? Late 80's early 90's movie with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin. James Woods and Michael Madsen as bad guys. Couple good target practice scenes with Kim "Opting for the .45" (1911 of course) when given a choice between a few different tools they were shooting. A good "B" movie with a bunch of shooting!! and Kim B. in the Buff. Not a bad combo!! Pulp fiction was a good addition Keep it in the 10 ring!! Holy Hamburgers Batman!!!!! Chip, I think we should play the freakin' Lotto or something this week!! That's strange Karma!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Hunter(Steve McQueen)
Magnum PI

Last edited by Silver_Surfer; 05-08-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
gunslinger 345, 'The Rock' has a good scene where General Hummel gives orders with his 1911
...OHHHH Man I LOVE that movie...

Quote:
chip p This one should be on the top of the list, I cant believe it got over looked

The Getaway (1994) Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger
Good shoot 'em up movie!!!!

Quote:
Silver_Surfer Magnum PI
You can tell my age- I grew up on Magnum PI!!! I dreamed of growing up to be as cool as good ol' Thomas Magnum... I liked how he would just shove his 5" into his pants and never carried any extra mags...

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip p
This one should be on the top of the list, I cant believe it got over looked

The Getaway (1994) Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger

This is a all Colt movie, Kim is so hot with her Gold Cup in Bright Stainless
Well - the fact that Alec Baldwin is very anti-gun might just disqualify any of his movies from the list.

BTW - did anyone in The Departed use a 1911?

Also, I remember in the chase scene of The French Connection that the bad guy Gene Hackman was chasing had a 1911 that he used to shoot the train conductor.

Yeah - I can't believe I forgot about The Wild Bunch. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, and the 1911 featured prominently, especially when the German Army officer comments about it. "Zat veppon you're kerrying - it kennot be perchessed - or even owned....legally."
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

The 1911 received more star staus in The Wild Bunch than Holden,Borgnine,Ryan,and all the others combined.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM

I would put "Last Man Standing" second to "We Were Soldiers" because of Bruce Willis blasting a guy through a window with the knock-down power of his .45.

I was much more impressed with Sgt Major Plumley taking down charging V.C. from all sides while everyone else clutches their rifles.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM

No 1911's in The Departed. That was pretty much a sig and walther movie...but it was still good.

If we are going to venture in TV then I'll have to throw Nash Bridges out there. Anyone no what kind of 45 that was? It was two tone with a compensator and the whole bit.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PursuitFRC
I was much more impressed with Sgt Major Plumley taking down charging V.C. from all sides while everyone else clutches their rifles.
I thought it was somewhat strange that Sgt. Maj Plumley didn't carry a rifle at all, making the comment that, "If the time comes when I need a rifle, there'll be plenty on the ground to pick up." I would expect that he would have at least carried his trusty old M1 Garand (did the Army still issue them in 1965?) or carried a M1 carbine. A paratrooper who had made all four combat drops with the 82nd in WW2 would know that a 1911 is great close-up, but against an adversary more than rock-throwing distance, you'd be at a severe disadvantage even if all he had was a .22LR.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM

You should watch the REAL "Getaway" with Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, which also has some great 1911 stuff and the shootout at the end totally spanks the Alec "my daughter is a pig!" Baldwin version.

Also check out "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" - Warren Oates puts some lead downrange, but his gun can't decide whether it is a 5", a commander or a Star 9mm!

We used the M1C and D variants as sniper rifles in Vietnam (limited).

The bad guy in the French Connection had a Colt Gold Cup he used to murder the French cop at the beginning of the movie and carried it during the famous car/train chase scene.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Can't believe nobody has mentioned saving private Ryan yet!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Another vote for Extreme Prejudice. That picture is iconic in that the 1911A1 and a Texas Ranger serving together on the Mexican border are a powerful cinematic image. Nick Nolte, for whom I could usually care less, does a bang-up depiction of a hard nosed third generation Texas Ranger that makes Chuck Norris' Walker, Texas Ranger, appear as a sort of a PC riddled candyass with stretch jeans.

Written in part by John Milius, (Dirty Harry, Red Dawn), and directed by Walter Hill, (The Warriors, 48 Hours, Last Man Standing), this film has some excellent 1911A1 gunfighting scenes despite some minor continuity gaffes with the 1911's size and Powers Booth's beard, and is a terrifically watchable straight-up action flick.

The Way Of The Gun gets honorable mention, primarily for its way above average depiction of realistic gun handling. As a movie though, the plot and the pacing are fairly dreadful.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy
It was a Glock I believe.

I think it was a Sig.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats
Another vote for Extreme Prejudice. That picture is iconic in that the 1911A1 and a Texas Ranger serving together on the Mexican border are a powerful cinematic image. Nick Nolte, for whom I could usually care less, does a bang-up depiction of a hard nosed third generation Texas Ranger that makes Chuck Norris' Walker, Texas Ranger, appear as a sort of a PC riddled candyass with stretch jeans.

Written in part by John Milius, (Dirty Harry, Red Dawn), and directed by Walter Hill, (The Warriors, 48 Hours, Last Man Standing), this film has some excellent 1911A1 gunfighting scenes despite some minor continuity gaffes with the 1911's size and Powers Booth's beard, and is a terrifically watchable straight-up action flick.

The Way Of The Gun gets honorable mention, primarily for its way above average depiction of realistic gun handling. As a movie though, the plot and the pacing are fairly dreadful.

Speaking of The Way Of The Gun, how awesome was James Caan in that movie! The scene where he is shooting up the 2 main guys with a S&W snubbie and pulling off some perfect tactical reloads was admirable in hollywood. I read somewhere that Caan has trained at Gunsite in the past.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Sooner
Can't believe nobody has mentioned saving private Ryan yet!
I did, 1st reply.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Extreme Prejudice is certainly good, but for me Theif gets my vote.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Im gonna get hate mail for this, but the 1911 that sticks out in my head the most is............ Mercutio's 1911 from the Romeo and juliet remake in 1997.

This is gonna hurt.......

Sig P228, SA TRP Armory Kote, SA Loaded Champion, Stoeger Double Defense over/under 12ga
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Windtalkers
The Thin Red Line
The Lost Battalion (HBO Special)

By the way, in The Wild Bunch most of the 1911 scenes were using Star 9mm pistols. It was often hard to get .45's to work properly with blanks in those days.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 05-08-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Cicero
In 48 hours Nick Nolte's 357 mag is stolen by the bad guy. He replaces it with a 1911, 45cal. Later in the movie he empties the entire mag. into the same bad guy.
Re-read the script, Nolte’s revolver is quoted as a “44”

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

The Rock

It is Ed Harris' (Gen. Hummel's) sidearm. I think it's a Colt stainless.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hberttmank
Extreme Prejudice
+1 "with extreme prejudice"

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
The Lost Battalion (HBO Special)

One I forgot that is also a favorite of mine
Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM

I just watched The Untouchables and noticed the external extractor 9mm mentioned in the blank shooting thread last week. It sure is cool all the little things you can pick up on if you look close.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM

Not really the best 1911 movie out there, but Mr. and Mrs. Smith showcases an amazing custom 1911.
Yes, I realize that I'm named "Kimber4Ever." I was drunk, blackmailed, dared, paid by Kimber to do it, I had recently taken a blow to the head, yadda yadda yadda. Heckler & Koch, Baer, and Vang Comp, that's all I'm saying.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtownKimber
Speaking of The Way Of The Gun, how awesome was James Caan in that movie! The scene where he is shooting up the 2 main guys with a S&W snubbie and pulling off some perfect tactical reloads was admirable in hollywood. I read somewhere that Caan has trained at Gunsite in the past.
That was a pretty cool shootout. That movie had a LOT of cool shooting scenes!

Oh has anyone mentioned Platoon yet??? When William Dafoe takes a flashlight and a 1911 into the tunnels to search for VC. I couldn't imagine firing a 45 inside an enclosed space like a tunnel- talk about LOUD!!! That movie is up there in my top favorite movies as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobee
Im gonna get hate mail for this, but the 1911 that sticks out in my head the most is............ Mercutio's 1911 from the Romeo and juliet remake in 1997.

This is gonna hurt.......
Okay I reviewed the movie because I was secnd guessing myself. It is a Berreta 92...my bad.

Sig P228, SA TRP Armory Kote, SA Loaded Champion, Stoeger Double Defense over/under 12ga