Too old to shoot - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Too old to shoot

Has anybody had to make the decision to give up shooting because of age and infirmies that go with it that might cause a bad decision that could hurt someone.With my doctor visits I always ask any sign ofAlzheimers?He's a shooter too and has me do some screening tests and says keep shooting.I love guns and shooting ,but would give it all up if I thought I might do anything that made our sport look badly. Don't critique my spelling or sentence structure I'm an old man!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Is it possible for you to shoot with a companion who can keep an eye out for safety concerns?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Administrator

We had a member here who was still actively shooting when he passed away at age 94. You're only as old as you feel. You might have to retire the big blasters eventually and only shoot rimfire, but as long as you're in decent health why not keep at it?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM

I just came in from a range trip. As I was leaving, I noticed an aged man being helped in by a younger one whom I took to be his son. I left the parking lot thinking that was a fine thing. I support it completely.

Having said that, I'd have say that my father, who raised me to shoot and did until his own advanced years, eventually reached a place with a disability he had that made it irresponsible for him to continue to have firearms. He accepted that with the same grace and dignity the OP seems to be showing.

I'd say the advice of his doctor, which seems now to still be "keep shooting", is about as good as anything.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJY View Post
Is it possible for you to shoot with a companion who can keep an eye out for safety concerns?
That's a good idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM

I'm no spring chick, body slowly falling apart; shoulders/knees/back ad nauseum.
Simply a case of too much mileage.
Still shoot weekly.
Lucky in that my mind and eyesight are still reasonably keen.

I have an older bud that's been a shooting/hunting companion for 35 years.
He is beginning to lose mental acuity and physical ability, but lives for hunting and shooting (he was the IHMSA National Champ in the late 80's)

I make damned sure he gets to the range and our hunting lease on a very regular basis.

Do what you can, while you can Sam1.
Tomorrow isn't promised.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I watched a video on Mikhail Kalashnikov where he was still shooting AK rifles into his 90's. Of course he was a small man to begin with, and it was pretty obvious that he had trouble controlling the recoil of an AK with his frail old frame. But he still did it. If you think there is a serious concern about your health and ability to safely control a firearm I agree that you should take a buddy shooting with you to keep an eye on things.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM

I have a friend who is 86 and goes deer hunting ever year. Some years are more successful then others but he enjoys it.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM

As somebody who has a parent suffering from dementia, i understand your concerns.

However, as long as you are not mentally impaired and you doctor says that you are still good to go, you may have to step it down a notch and give up the larger calibers, but there is certainly no reason to stop shooting anything that you still feel comfortable with.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

My mom will be 92 in April. She still work 5 days a week by choice and can still shoot. Some things are difficult like heavy triggers, racking slides with stiff recoil spring sets. She is under 5 foot tall and weighed 95 lbs today fully dressed. When she was in late 70's she was still shooting 44 mags and 357 mags up until she was 88 years old. Still can.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM

There's 2 considerations:

- Physical capability. Can you physically manage all of the aspects of shooting in a safe manner?

- Cognitive ability. This is tougher. For some, cognitive function deteriorates or fails with age. There comes a point where access to firearms becomes a hazard. Its also more difficult for most to accept.

My father is coming up on 80... While he can still safety shoot all manner of firearms, he's come to the point physically where he's retired his .45s and .357s in favor of 9mm and .38SPC.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM

As long as you are safe and have the desire, then go for it. I, like you, am "senior", but still love to handload and "unload" on a weekly basis. I think that the shooting keeps me involved with people and the folks at the range. It is a 30 mile round trip for me, but I so enjoy it, even if I don't shoot so good that day.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM

I've noticed that I am enjoying shooting lighter firearms more now, but no problems with full size handguns. Fortunately I haven't been making any stupid mistakes or careless blunders. Important to know your limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
stun%20gun.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Not A Fun Thread

I am 57 years old and living in a nursing home independent living wing. I am not allowed to have a firearm where I live and haven't had a pistol for many years for a couple of different reasons. I have left sided weakness and balance issues that I have come to accept are permanent. I don't know how long it will take or how difficult it will be to get back into shooting, I can't even drive! The decision to stop shooting is a difficult one and we all have to collectively stick together and if someone we know is unsafe we need to step in and help them make the right decision. The flip side is that we need to be honest with ourselves and admit that we can no longer safely handle a firearm. The only other part of this is what resources are out there for the disabled shooter? I ask because I am in that group and am looking for any assistance I can find. Being an older shooter is not always fun in the sun.

USAF 1981-1985
http://www.thewebcorner.net
Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit.

Last edited by mzanghetti; 01-11-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I forgot some words!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM

I used to have a friend, actually a range acquaintance, that was driven to the outdoor range for half days of shooting by his wife. He was in a wheelchair, had been an engineer and machinist, and was in his late 80's when he passed away, but made it to the range once or twice a week during weather permitting, and his wife passed the time chatting with others and picking up discarded brass out of boredom. She even occasionally came to the range and picked up brass after he died, and stated that it made her feel close to him. He shot pistols, .22's, and often shot a customized M1 Carbine. He was a kind, a gentleman, and fun to be around.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Sam1

Retired on Medical Disability just over 10 years ago. I asked my shooting
buddy how long have we been going to the 'Range'
(indoor bay 1 4 lanes, Bay 2 5 lanes 25 yds, with
overhead sys for trolley targets ). Since '07. He
watched me the first couple of visits then, and now
we just have our own lanes 30 mile drive 1-way
about every 2-3 weeks, both members so that pays
off. I enjoy my 1911 Variants, a .45 ACP S&W
Rvolver, and others. STill put a pie plate group on a
big BG target at 4-6 yards.

Oh, the disability? 'cept for that I'm in decent shape
for 66 yrs. I've been open about it with the VA sociaol
workers about knowing when to stop.. I'm legally blind.

Also, have a CPL Wash State is a 'Will Issue' state / pass
the background check and it's issued.

Randall - 1st firearms safety cert. class '61?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Don't plan on quitting until I'm shooting coffin nails!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 PM

My Father in Law died at 89. About four months before he passed, I took him for our last trip to the range. I sort of kept an eye on him, but never any real safety issues.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

when you cant hit the broad side of a barn, then it's time to call it quits

I hear in the news all the time about seniors having to shoot home invaders / robbers

it's important to keep on shooting to keep yourself familiarized with your guns.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM

I am still kicking at 76 have eyesight problems and had a full shoulder replacement. I have given up rifles and have a hard time pulling the slide back on my guns. I have now five guns with red dots on them which helps but when you got the shakes but I can still hit that target . When I am in the box I will take my Dan Wesson with me .
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM

I confiscated my mother's Colt Cobra when she was in her 80s.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM

When I can't shoot I will beat you with my cane. 22 with red dot is fun.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM

When I can no longer drive my little convertible sports car, I'll have someone drive me to the range!

Seriously, my God-father (Gf) was still deer hunting with us, he started the original group, we became fill-in over the last 32 years. He had a ND in deer camp; no harm, no foul, and nary a set of shorts were soiled but that was his last year. I believe he knew it was time! 1. He screwed up, big time, 2. He was a Marine and WWII vet and knew better, 3 He decided to stop shooting/hunting after that, he was 80 and for all appearances appeared in complete control of his faculties! Cliff notes: We had a Hunter return to camp after a brief respite. Gf was schooling him on "his" (Gfs) rifle and couldn't remember if the safe was in or off and could not remember the correct position of the safety. He said: "I had to make a decision, so I pulled the trigger?" Wrong decision/answer, fortunately rifle was pointed at the ground - bad news in the dark the BANG was that much more startling.

New Rule was instituted later that day: No loading or unloading rifles within the camp area.

In my 32 years hunting this was the first and only incident! We usually have 10 hunters in camp! I pray there is never another. As one distinguished moderator "dsk" stated in another post "safety never can take a day off" I believe I, paraphrased!

Gf is now 92, this past summer.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
My mom will be 92 in April. She still work 5 days a week by choice and can still shoot. Some things are difficult like heavy triggers, racking slides with stiff recoil spring sets. She is under 5 foot tall and weighed 95 lbs today fully dressed. When she was in late 70's she was still shooting 44 mags and 357 mags up until she was 88 years old. Still can.
Damn,,,that's great!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
Has anybody had to make the decision to give up shooting because of age and infirmies that go with it that might cause a bad decision that could hurt someone.With my doctor visits I always ask any sign ofAlzheimers?He's a shooter too and has me do some screening tests and says keep shooting.I love guns and shooting ,but would give it all up if I thought I might do anything that made our sport look badly. Don't critique my spelling or sentence structure I'm an old man!
It's a good sign that you're concerned enough to ask. A colleague is a retired surgeon in his 80s and still shoots and carries in Fla.
keep shooting !