Final Cut for CCO choice - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 11:51 PM

Final Cut for CCO choice

In this thread, I asked for recommendations for what I eventually learned were called CCO models. Based on specs and occasional off-base recommendations, I think I've narrowed my choice down to three models.

Dan Wesson CCO
  • High Quality
  • Expensive (>$1200)
Sig Sauer C3
  • Quality (I've owned 4 Sigs)
  • Less expensive ($750ish)
Springfield RO Compact
  • Highly rated by Hikock45
  • Least expensive (found for $700)

Leaning heavily to the Springer RO Compact. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Roscoed; 01-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 AM

Well I don't really think there's a bad choice here. But Dan Wesson would be my first choice followed by the Springer. But the DW is obviously in a higher class than the other two.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 AM

Dan Wesson way above the other 2 followed by Springfield ROC. Sig wouldn't even be an option for me.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 AM

Dan Wesson if they stopped doing the chain link or whatever on the front strap.
22 1911's 16 Smith & Wesson Model 29's and 629's. 3 Colt Pythons. 7 Ithaca Model 37's. 2 F-16 Fighting Falcons. 1 A-10 Warthog. 21 AR Style Rifles. 2 Sherman Tanks. 1 Panzer Tank. 1 Pallet of Stinger Missiles. 1 105mm Howitzer. 1 Squad of Nepalese Gurkhas. 1 Billion rounds of assorted ammo and 2 Trident missiles.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:56 AM

I was on the same quest about a year ago and ended up with the ROC. When I was looking I found some fairly bad reviews on the C3, and the Dan Wesson was a bit out of my price range. I also already have a couple Springfields so that made me a little bias. I am completely happy with my choice, but I agree with the previous post that the DW is probably a little better overall, but to merge extra money wasn't worth it. Additionally this is my carry gun so I thought part of that saving would be better applied to ammo and mags to throughly "break-in", and shoot and test a SD combination. I think you would be happy with either.

Last edited by TNShootin'; 01-10-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 AM

OP, out of curiosity did you consider the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO?
22 1911's 16 Smith & Wesson Model 29's and 629's. 3 Colt Pythons. 7 Ithaca Model 37's. 2 F-16 Fighting Falcons. 1 A-10 Warthog. 21 AR Style Rifles. 2 Sherman Tanks. 1 Panzer Tank. 1 Pallet of Stinger Missiles. 1 105mm Howitzer. 1 Squad of Nepalese Gurkhas. 1 Billion rounds of assorted ammo and 2 Trident missiles.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylan Givens View Post
My favorite is Wiley Clapp...

DW is a close second.

The others are several notches below
Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 AM

DW CCO was my choice. I have since bought two more DW's if that tells you anything. I like colts but would take a DW over one any day of the week.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM

The DW is always a good choice. I will say that the RO is no slouch....a lot of bang for the buck when SA came out with those!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM

I've owned the Dan Wesson and the Sig. Both are good guns, but the Dan Wesson is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of quality, fit, and finish. But you pay for that. The C3 was a good gun, but some don't like the unique slide design. I kind of liked that part.

Something makes me think the Range Officer Compact comes with slim bushings and grips from the factory. If so, changing grips would mean you're stuck with only other slim grips. Which cuts your choices down some unless you change out the bushings and screws.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM

DW - worth the extra coin for all tool steel parts and fit/finish.
SA - good gun
Sig - good gun but, don't care for the aesthetics and external extractor
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM

Name things what they will, the whole point of CC is to successfully conceal a defensive handgun. I realize we are on the 1911 Forum, & I love my 1911's, but I could not actually CONCEAL one on my person unless wearing a coat or jacket - even a compact is to bulky.
I think I'm the only one here who has recommended Communist block surplus handguns.
They were completely tested for reliability before military acceptance. compact fixed barrel pistols like the Makarov & polish P-64 (single/DA), were patterned after the Walther PP, & are very good, easy to conceal firearms. They are easily affordable for the non-elite working person.
Felt someone needed to mention this overlooked but good option in this discussion of concealed carry weapons.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-002F.JPG   images MAK & P-64.jpg   images  P -64.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 AM

I have range officer compact and it is a great gun. I have put a little over 4000 rounds through it and been through three classes with it. I haven't had a single issue of any kind. It does have slim grips from the factory if that is an issue for you. It didn't bother me since i wanted a set of vz slim grips for it anyway. Bang for the buck I don't think you will beat it. I looked at the dan wesson cco and valkyrie and liked them but I have never had the chance to fire them. Personally the Dws are the better looking guns and the fit and finish may be better but the Springfield is functional.The one thing I would say is consistently better is the triggers of the dw guns. For me I knew the gun was going to get carried daily so I wasn't concerned with the finish when I was trying to decide. I went the route you often hear suggested on here of the less costly gun and training vs the more expensive gun. I am happy that I went that route. I have no idea what your level skill is but for me classes made more of a difference than the differences between the three guns your looking at.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:28 AM

DW CCO... four years running, my CCW of choice. Great slide to frame fit, very high quality workmanship, extremely accurate, super smooth trigger right out of the box... my Milt Sparks Nexus or Axiom, perfect accompaniment.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM

DAN Wesson if you shop you can get one for 900-1000
Just traded mine and now carry a. Valkryrie commander
Carries just as good as the cco and 1 more round/ comparability with my other 1911 grips and mags. Sigs are ok but I sold all mine in favor of traditional slide/ extractors
You can order the cco with fsc too
Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Dan Wesson if they stopped doing the chain link or whatever on the front strap.
You can have Keith at DW build a CCO on the ECO frame with 25lpi. However, this would cost a bit more than the $1300 street price the OP is looking at. This was originally my plan. When Keith asked me to spec it out exactly how I wanted it, the project t spiraled out of control until I ended up around $2200 for the build and my supplied parts. Lol that's how it goes sometimes I guess
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I handled a stainless commander Clapp in my LGS while I was searching CCO options. I would have likely bought it if it had been the CCO. I really like the Colt Clapp models. That said, the fit and finish as well as the trigger on the Dan Wesson were better.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 PM

If you are still shopping, I have the ROC. Good solid gun, but kind of wishing I had held out for the DW. The ROC is a great value for the $$. You can do better with the DW or a Colt WC. I'll end up with one of those, and the ROC.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Looks like the consensus is Dan Wesson. I couldn't agree more . Mine is flawless and very accurate .
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM

I find a 1911 VERY easy to CC and I also like the chainlink.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Dan Wesson also offers a CCO variant called the Valkyrie, light weight frame:
http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/valkyrie/

Les Bear also has an CCO offering called the Stinger, steel frame:
https://www.lesbaer.com/Stinger.html

Finally, Colt also makes a light weight frame CCO with front strap serrations instead of checkering, and well appointed features. It's not well known but an awesome gun, nonetheless.
https://gunsitestore.com/product/fir...gunsite-cco-2/

Shoot by faith, not by sight.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM

I'll vouche for the ROC. I really like it.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:09 PM

I prefer the guardian over the CCO...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM

All good choices.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Is this budget or preference driven? the Sig ( I think I remember) has traditional take down, the SA doesn't , don't know if this is an issue for you, don't know which has front strap serrations , or if you want that. but the sig has a non traditional slide shape. SA is "normal" as for DW's, they are nice, but I don't care for the chain-link on the cco, so would look to have the Valkrie, or the ask for a custom (as suggested above), cco slide on a eco frame, (may be cheaper than the Valkrie?)

Yeah, forgot about the colt, it has the front strap I happen to like.

What do you want to tell your friends you bought? and why?

Last edited by DWowner; 01-11-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: about the colt