Best Bug Out Vehicle - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM

Tactical wheelbarrow. Well, according to GunKid.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chapman View Post
I bought a Toyota 4dr Offroad Tacoma last October as my primary vehicle and as my Bug Out vehicle. I had a Extended F-150 4X4 as my vehicle before. Since, I have wondered did I buy the wrong vehicle as a B O truck. I miss the room I had as full size vs a compact truck and also there is not as much room to stash a AR or Shotgun. I know that in Afghanistan Hi-Lux seems to be vehicle of choice for the Taliban as they are tuff and go just about anywhere. But I was looking more for a B O vehicle that I can fill up with supplies and this has not lived up as a cargo perfect vehicle. So my question now is "Which vehicle would you recommend as the best Bug Out Vehicle?"
It all depends on what you mean by bug out. The Toyota could be the best choice or at least the best compromise. Do you want to hit trails and disappear in the woods? How much stuff do you plan to take? Under my thought process I would want 4 wd and enough power to pull a trailer with my stuff. The Tacoma will do that and might be the best compromise. If you want to pull and rv and take your motorcycle then opt for a bigger vehicle. If you are looking for maximum range consider diesels. How many people? Would a Suv be better? Each person has their own idea of what a bug out will be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Here is my truck! Just missing my friends

Last edited by grayden; 01-16-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Wrong pic

Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM

Anything with a mechanical Cummins diesel, 4whd, and 3\4 to 1 ton running gear minimum, with a stick, no autos, no semi floats, no electronics, no gas burners, everything else is just a toy
"It is very simple. The model 80 is complete and total garbage only good for melting down to make steel core bullets. The model 70 was handed down from God to JMB in a devine inspiration of gunmaking genius. So take your choice"

Last edited by jeepranch; 01-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Toyota Prius. Nobody would suspect me of being a prepper in that thing so I'd just sail right past every roadblock or possible threat.

Seriously, I think whatever you use it needs to be low-maintenance and easy on fuel. All wheel drive is an obvious plus, but since so many of those are gas hogs maybe something smaller like a Subaru?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_glockie View Post
No flaming but...it would be a Subaru Outback with a trailer.

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

In my area, the Subie with a roofrack would unnoticeable.
We may pick up an older truck in the future.

The Jetta could be a stealth BOV as the trunk is HUGE.
I love big pickup trucks as well as the next guy but for this, give me something like your Subaru or a Honda CRV any day. They can haul enough stuff and the mileage is so much better and they are bullet proof for the most part. And they are AWD. A lot would depend on the availability of gasoline.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You can load your Subaru to it's rated capacity with your stuff, you and three friends and I could stick your loaded Subaru in the bed of my F350 and still go places that car never could. Those are 35" tires for scale. Diesel torque, 600 mile range with 4000lbs on board.

If I want to have all the comforts of home as I bug-out I throw on the camper. (I no longer have that style tiedown taking away ground clearance.)

Steve, you win. without question that beast will do it all. Besides the power, FX4 package and range - its engine will last forever. Road Block? What road block!

Ford Tough
Old 01-17-2017, 05:38 AM

I like the pack mule idea and if it got really bad it's a self-propelled meat locker.

There have been many reliability improvements in the last few generations of computer controlled vehicles but when Murphy lets the smoke out of the Engine or Chassis Control unit you're hosed.

Since I don't have a mule, my first choice would be a 1980 Diesel Scout. Second, the pre-computer engine control 1993 Cummins powered Dodge. Absolutely reliable, durable and zero to few unrepairable brain boxes, not fast but adequate power and good mileage and they'll haul or tow a lot if required and in a pinch they'll run on vegetable oil.

For that matter, what happens to the new Chevy, Ford or Dodge truck if they run out of that skunk pee the goofy new emissions laws require? Something between a limp mode and ranging to complete shut down...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-17-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
For that matter, what happens to the new Chevy, Ford or Dodge truck if they run out of that skunk pee the goofy new emissions laws require? Something between a limp mode and ranging to complete shut down...
About 500 bucks later a good desiel mechanic can get that fixed forever. Increase HP and fuel economy. Live like a free man.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
I love big pickup trucks as well as the next guy but for this, give me something like your Subaru or a Honda CRV any day. They can haul enough stuff and the mileage is so much better and they are bullet proof for the most part. And they are AWD. A lot would depend on the availability of gasoline.
agreed, but there will be no offroading with a loaded crv or subie. That AWD is a civilized type
"It is very simple. The model 80 is complete and total garbage only good for melting down to make steel core bullets. The model 70 was handed down from God to JMB in a devine inspiration of gunmaking genius. So take your choice"
Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Old 01-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
About 500 bucks later a good desiel mechanic can get that fixed forever. Increase HP and fuel economy. Live like a free man.
Never be able to sell it AND no one will work on it that knows the laws regarding tampering---lot of teeth in them now times changed a few years ago. I drive oil burners that are modified legally. Your throat your razor.

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/spe...t-dpf-deletes/

Last edited by Busa Dave; 01-17-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Never be able to sell it AND no one will work on it that knows the laws regarding tampering---lot of teeth in them now times changed a few years ago. I drive oil burners that are modified legally. Your throat your razor.

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/spe...t-dpf-deletes/
If the SHTF do you think the EPA is really going to enforce their rules on people? They will have to cross paths with a lot of leaded vehicles before they can enforce them. Pretty much down here there isn't any pollution/environmental state check stations and I don't believe the ones fleeing are going to stop anyway for checks. Now you do have to worry in states that do check. Move to Alabama quite a bit freer still.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
SH!T you win!!!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Tactical wheelbarrow. Well, according to GunKid.
I hadn't thought about or heard the mention of GunKid in a LONG time!!! Last I heard he was in jail! So much for his maintaining a low profile. I had countless arguments with that idiot. But if you do elect to go the Tactical Wheelbarrow route, don't forget to grab yourself a de-barked Chihuahua for security!!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Mr_Garth;8972346]The perfect grey man b o vehicle in Finland would be Octavia or Suberb STW (VWs in Skoda suit).

-Garth

Paikallisia kundeja ?

Interesting post.

F
Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Finco;9104570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Garth View Post
The perfect grey man b o vehicle in Finland would be Octavia or Suberb STW (VWs in Skoda suit).

Paikallisia kundeja ?

Interesting post.

F

Jep

Born and raised

-Garth

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MILSPEC2015 View Post
the very best "bug out"..vehicle is a pack mule or two...capable of going off road where NO vehicles of any kind will go.....roads will be a traffic jam as far as the eye can see......no dependence on fuel...will not eat things that will make a horse sick....has radar like ears that will hear things long before you will...just pay attention.....good ones can be ridden farther than you would ever want to walk...EMP proof..the virtues go on and on....going to call mine..."Sadie & Sam"
I agree and you can't eat a truck
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Double cab 4wd pickup, for sure. With crash bars, or a big old log bolted front and back . Crash bars are awesome.

F-350 double cab, 4wd w/ dual tanks, would probably be my favorite, had one years ago , or a Chevy 30 4wd van, those higher numbers (vs chevy 10, or F 150), = heavy duty suspension = carry more weight/handle s better . A heavy duty dodge 4wd van with a 318 is another favorite, me and my dad put 400,000 on am 81 dodge van with the 318, it holds up better than the 360. Heads n gaskets on the 360 go.

With a dirt bike in the back (on the back with welded posts if van) if possible. (To scavenge parts when necessary ).

And a self priming gas pump going up thru a hole i n the floor of a van, or bed of truck, pull up over a gas station test eight inch manhole cover (where the attendant uses a huge wood stick to test gas level ), and fill your tank free if electricity went down and gas station is closed. There is sometimes a manual gas pumping lever on older gas pumps, but anything newer than 1995 may not have one.
Had a friend in the 90's, who used a modified high power water pump and this method to steal fuel for a school bus RV, he filled a 20 and 60 gallon tanks in about 10 minutes, freaky ex marine named Dr Farvegnugen. Pulled bus up over the cover plate, etc. I would only do that in the most desperate of conditions, sure would beat sucking hoses on parked cars in an emergency.

nothing flashy, I'd even remove the f350 badge, and beat the **** out of it. Definitely no expensive looking wheels or tires, had a wonderful 76 toyota, with nice lift, stolen for the suspention, solid rims n tires. Still hurts, LOVED that truck.

Whatever rig, adding some anti theft switching system, ALA mad max could not hurt.
. I used to have a vw bus when I was a kid, the ignition switch broke, I replaced it with a hidden push/pull, and button ignition, then used a set of my baby's plastic keys in the ignition slot as a joke. Few times I got pulled over the Cops though it was funny too.(had an actual Porche engine, pulled 6-10" wheelies, that tended to get attention)

Also subaru impreza outback is a reliable car, ugly, slowish, but it never gets stuck, and is pretty much invisible.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_glockie View Post
No flaming but...it would be a Subaru Outback with a trailer.

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

In my area, the Subie with a roofrack would unnoticeable.
We may pick up an older truck in the future.

The Jetta could be a stealth BOV as the trunk is HUGE.
Ha, before I read your post, i just wrote that a Subaru outback is invisible!

I don't have a trailer, but that's a great idea, a,small landscape trailer would do, or a gutted Cole man pop up, for security. I do have a roof box, that way most of your stuff is on the roof, so you can fold the seats and crash in the back on long trips.

I'm at 190,000, original motor &trans going strong (even compression anyway), had every single wheel bearing and axle wear out, that's about it. Just put on good tires and jdm ver 6 rally shocks, need to do the timing belt, they have interference engines.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:40 PM

Assuming that the roads will be clogged, or at least filled with undesirables, my bug out vehicle is a fourteen foot Old Town Stillwater canoe. The area where I live (New England) is crisscrossed with streams of all sizes that all lead to something bigger that eventually leads to the Intercoastal Waterway. There is literally nowhere on the Eastern Seaboard that I can not get to given a little time, my whitewater skills that I keep sharp, and through remotely populated areas. The canoe holds as much as I could ever put in the back of a pickup. I will probably hear the shooting and the battles raging on the roads off in the distance as I glide on through :-)
Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM

i have an 87 suzuki samurai lifted 4x4 to get me, the fam and a small kit (firearms, some ammo, some food, and first aid) to point "b" where everything else is already waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Until 310 miles later when the 53 gallon fuel tank runs dry. <6mpg doesn't get you far absent a military supply chain with tanker trucks running behind the advance.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 01-26-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonbeast60 View Post
Assuming that the roads will be clogged, or at least filled with undesirables, my bug out vehicle is a fourteen foot Old Town Stillwater canoe. The area where I live (New England) is crisscrossed with streams of all sizes that all lead to something bigger that eventually leads to the Intercoastal Waterway. There is literally nowhere on the Eastern Seaboard that I can not get to given a little time, my whitewater skills that I keep sharp, and through remotely populated areas. The canoe holds as much as I could ever put in the back of a pickup. I will probably hear the shooting and the battles raging on the roads off in the distance as I glide on through :-)
??? That canoe is rated for 850lbs which includes the weight of the paddlers. Even a Toyota Taco can carry a load in it's bed that will sink your canoe and still have capacity left over to fill it's cab with people.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM

You sound like a pretty good target to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonbeast60 View Post
Creeping down a small waterway with a heavily laden canoe. I would say that you are pretty vulnerable. And certainly attractive as a target under the right circumstances. There are plenty of people living adjacent to those waterways that would likely be of an opportunistic frame of mind given the right circumstances. I would exercise caution in this regard.