What is your every where you go gear/shtf gear - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 PM

What is your every where you go gear/shtf gear

Wondering what other people always have with them. Hers what i keep...

Ar15. 5.56.
Molle vest with first aid kit attached. 6 radio pouches each holding 2 30rd mags loaded with hornady 55gr fmj. Plus 1 in the rifle.
Ka-bar attached. Hydration system.
1911. Loaded with 230gr round nose.
Water purification tablets. 4 extra 8rd mags for .45

These are with me at all times. If I'm home they are behind the couch. If I leave the house the are behind my seat.

I drive a 2000 f350 dually 6spd 7.3 4dr. 600 mile range on highway. In back of that truck is my molle pack containing 3 200rd battle packs of 5.56 55gr. 1 battle pack of 230gr for the .45. 130rds. Sleep system good to -30. 1 week of ration bars. Cleaning kit. Entrancing tool. Hatchet. 25ft 550cord. 8 pairs boot socks. 2 chages of clothes. Fishing kit.

So even if worst case I still have my .45 and my ar.

Best case I'm warm. Clean. Dry. Well armed. And with enough rations to get me to a place safe to hunt and fish.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsawyer.drig View Post
Entrancing tool.
What I wouldn't give to have one of these!

Sorry, I'm a jerk, I couldn't resist.

All joking aside, I think you're much better prepared than most, by the sounds of it. All I really have with me as a general rule when I leave the house is a pistol, sometimes with one spare magazine, and then a little "possibles" pouch, containing a compass, minor meds, pocket knife, headlamp, tourniquet, spare contact lens case, triangle bandage, magnesium fire stick, etc. aside from that it's the clothes I'm wearing on my motorcycle, which always includes my IIIA vest when I'm commuting. Two days a week I work off-site, so if disaster struck on those two days I'd also have a Glock with 3 magazines, radio, taser, OC spray, cuffs, etc.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Damn. I need a new compassion ty for mentioning that.

Not only that but if a land escape isn't possible...I'm on the coast. With a 25ft cabin cruiser
Hell atleast you take a side arm. 1 mag is better then a sharp stick if it's needed

Last edited by glsawyer.drig; 01-05-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 PM

He'll I've always been that way. My family remembers when I was 7 or 8. I didn't ask for a Nintendo or toys. I asked for matches and a poncho. I got in trouble all the time for have stuff like that at school.

I've always felt that if you have gear it needs to stay with you. If it's at home its useless. I know people that do that.

All I can think of is hey look. There is riots and looting. Then some junkie with a Bic set your house on fire....now you have nothing....ooppps
Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 PM

Personal:
Glock 17, two extra mags. Small flashlight, pocket knife. Ordering an ankle medical kit tomorrow. Stays on me right up to bed time.

Truck:
Keep a backpack with a change of clothes, hat, sunscreen, off, flares, magnesium fire starter, 2 x bic lighters, water purification tablets, flashlight, head lamp, extra batteries, binoculars, leatherman tool, boo boo kit, 3 days rations, canteen, toothbrush, toothpaste, nail clippers, paracord, mylar blankets, compass, leather work gloves, toilet paper. Not the end all be all, but for a few days it'll do the trick.

Also carry a little carhart toolbag I use as a trauma kit. 4 x israeli bandages, 4 x olaes bandages, 3 x SOFFT-W tourniquet, 4 x quickclot zfold gauze (kind with the x-ray strip), 6 x krinkle gauze rolls, 6 x gauze pads, bottle alcohol, bottle hydrogen peroxide, steri-strips, 2 x halo chest seals, 5 x xeroform petroleum gauze dressings, leatherman tool, resqme tool, benchmade strap cutter, leather gloves, 5 x nitrile gloves, cpr mask, flashlight, headlamp, 4 x glow sticks, light bar (will stand on it's own), 2 x mylar blankets, 2 x ace bandages, space pen, write in rain pad.

Larger boo boo kit from Sam's Club, blanket, couple coats, cap, SOFFT-W tourniquet (console just in case), flashlight/tazer combo, flashlight, binoculars, leather gloves, tool kit, jumper cables, flares, work light, fire extinguisher, resqme tool on visor, gallon of water, granola bars, off, space pen, write in rain pad.

Carrier with lvl 4 plates, 8 x 30 round mags, IFAK + 2 extra tourniquets, 100 oz camel back, and rifle case with ear/eye, mechanix gloves, cleaning kit, lower parts kit, 5 x 30 round mags, extra batteries and rifle. Go back and forth from home to truck.

Soon to be adding some tow straps, and cargo straps. Just moved back into a truck.

Takes care of everything I have ever run into. Plus all the stuff I think I could realistically run into. Amazing how often you end up getting into the random little stuff like granola bars, water, boo boo kit, extra jacket, flashlight.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:40 PM

I like that list. My second rig is a old tow truck. I'm putting the bed from it onto the diesel. Then I'll have 3 12k hydralic winches on that. Plus the boom extends. Then I'm mounting another 12k hydralic winch to the front. So I should be good. Plus I always keep a chain saw with the truck. And chains and straps.

Later this month I'll add my cb

Last edited by glsawyer.drig; 01-05-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 PM

So what goes with you when you get out of the vehicle?

Quote:
Wondering what other people always have with them. Hers what i keep...

Ar15. 5.56.
Molle vest with first aid kit attached. 6 radio pouches each holding 2 30rd mags loaded with hornady 55gr fmj. Plus 1 in the rifle.
Ka-bar attached. Hydration system.
1911. Loaded with 230gr round nose.
Water purification tablets. 4 extra 8rd mags for .45

These are with me at all times. If I'm home they are behind the couch. If I leave the house the are behind my seat.

I drive a 2000 f350 dually 6spd 7.3 4dr. 600 mile range on highway. In back of that truck is my molle pack containing 3 200rd battle packs of 5.56 55gr. 1 battle pack of 230gr for the .45. 130rds. Sleep system good to -30. 1 week of ration bars. Cleaning kit. Entrancing tool. Hatchet. 25ft 550cord. 8 pairs boot socks. 2 chages of clothes. Fishing kit.

So even if worst case I still have my .45 and my ar.

Best case I'm warm. Clean. Dry. Well armed. And with enough rations to get me to a place safe to hunt and fish.
Lots of us have get home, and or "bug out" bags. My wife and I certainly do. But we do not walk around with this stuff everywhere we go. What do you have with you when you are on foot?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM

.45. 4 mags. Knife. But the furthest I get from the ar and rest of my gear... when I goto the store. But then I just have to go outside to it
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Since I travel far from home occasionally for work I keep a mid sized backpack (GHB) in the truck at all times. Long underwear and wool socks, thermal blanket, 3 days of food, several canteens, small flashlight with extra batteries. First aid kit I added a bit of extra stuff to like ace bandages and moleskin. Little extras like fire making, water purification, TP, and fishing items. Compass and maps, solar charger for phone, ect. 25 rnds for my carry pistol and a fixed blade knife. I used to keep a breakdown 22 in the bag but not anymore.

The goal is to travel light and fast so I try to keep things lightweight,,, A lot of people like those 5.11 bags but the smaller ones don't have a waist strap which I conceder critical if I want to hump 35 lbs all day. Even with the optional waist strap the 5.11 bags I've seen are too short to effectively use a waist strap.

I'm no longer in shape to easily hump 55 lbs for a week so I didn't pack the kitchen sink or an armory. Instead I try to be realistic and pray it will never be needed. Once a year I unpack it and check everything.

Last edited by John Galt 1; 01-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 PM

This sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post

I'm no longer in shape to easily hump 55 lbs for a week so I didn't pack the kitchen sink or an armory. Instead I try to be realistic and pray it will never be needed. Once a year I unpack it and check everything.
You are not the only one that can not reliably hump a 55lb pack everyday for a week. Back surgery ruled this out for me a couple of years ago. Knowing your limitations is a good thing. The best thing to do is figure out what you really need to have with you to make it home and ditch everything else, IMO.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 PM

I am still waiting on Fedship.

For them to iron out the retrofit on my Ohio class Boomer. I decided to keep a couple of the missiles. But they informed me that this might be a problem for the bowling alley.

Anyway, we will see what happens.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...87&FORM=IARRTH
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 PM

See I intend to hump it just till safty is reached. The us is littered with old hidden military sites. Especially the Washington coast
Old 01-09-2017, 12:08 PM

SIG P239 9mm nowadays, one extra mag, a Leatherman Wave, and a pocket-size roll of duct tape are with me at all times. I live in a fairly walkable city, so I'm never too far from home should the excrement hit the fan.

Last edited by Vintage68; 01-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Any one added nv? Looking at armasight spark core.... not the best but great reviews. And affordable

I can see nv being very useful
Old 01-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Small pack, flashlight, roll poop paper, several knives, One good East Wing claw hammer, multiple pieces of very high quality line (rope). I've used the line (rope) for a thousand things on a daily basis. Just know a few simple knots & hitches and it takes the place of any strap, bungee, etc. and it's uses are only limited to your imagination. I have about 200' of line total that goes everywhere I go. My favorite are 25" and 30' lengths of 3/16" to 3/8" braided that you would find at an outfitter such as R.E.I. in the climbing section. The claw hammer will get you everything you didn't pack in the SHTF gear bag when you are out and about and weren't pre warned of the S hitting the F.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Good idea on the hammer.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Any one added nv? Looking at armasight spark core.... not the best but great reviews. And affordable

I can see nv being very useful
My own opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that NV is gimmicky. I wouldn't waste the money on it. For very isolated and narrow use circumstances, they can work, but for me that's just too much money and weight/ carrying to shell out for a general survival item. I used NVs (PVS14's) at work for several years, and my takeaway from it was "ho-hum". Fun to play around with, but not enough to interest me in spending my own cash. I'm sure others will disagree. If I was going to carry the weight a space in a pack for NV, I'd pick a set of binoculars instead. Not to mention that for survival gear I try to reduce the number of battery-powered items I take, not increase it.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 01-09-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

got a very fortified first aid box, and I keep a Kimber Ultra with me when I am outdoors.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
My own opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that NV is gimmicky. I wouldn't waste the money on it. For very isolated and narrow use circumstances, they can work, but for me that's just too much money and weight/ carrying to shell out for a general survival item. I used NVs (PVS14's) at work for several years, and my takeaway from it was "ho-hum". Fun to play around with, but not enough to interest me in spending my own cash. I'm sure others will disagree. If I was going to carry the weight a space in a pack for NV, I'd pick a set of binoculars instead. Not to mention that for survival gear I try to reduce the number of battery-powered items I take, not increase it.
Not sure if its necessarily worth the weight, space or battery power, or the $2k.... particularly if you're on foot... but the night belongs to the one who can see in it.

Having used PVS3s, 7s, 14s and 21s.... the progress in capability is exponential. And, depending on situation, environment, training, and fielding, I'd say that the capability is more than "ho-hum"... from clearing a structure in low light to driving at 50mph without white light, there's definitely practical use...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 PM

I was thinking of the clearing a building....checking around your camp at night....and the armasight spark is 500. Can be hand held...helmet mounted... and weapon mounted.... so I was thinking we'll worth the cost. And it has nothing but good reviews
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Not sure if its necessarily worth the weight, space or battery power, or the $2k.... particularly if you're on foot... but the night belongs to the one who can see in it.

Having used PVS3s, 7s, 14s and 21s.... the progress in capability is exponential. And, depending on situation, environment, training, and fielding, I'd say that the capability is more than "ho-hum"... from clearing a structure in low light to driving at 50mph without white light, there's definitely practical use...
As you said. With nv you can own the night. So if I hear you at night. I can use it to find you before you see me. If I'm coming up on your camp...I know more about your forces then you do mine. That's good info to have
Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 AM

Wow, OP! That's a lot of weight, if you ever have to hump it on foot.
390 rounds of 5.56 in 13 magazines, and not to mention all the other stuff in you bag.

I don't think I carried that much ammo, when I was in the Infantry. The standard load was 7 mags.

Like some other posters have stated, you might want to test your load out with a 5 to 10 miles hike. I think we all have desires to have as much tools as possible in case of emergency, but I think we should balance want versus need, where weight is concerned.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Lots of us have get home, and or "bug out" bags. My wife and I certainly do. But we do not walk around with this stuff everywhere we go. What do you have with you when you are on foot?
This is much more a multi-dimentional question. "Everyday" may find me at the gun store, flying OCONUS or driving across the state or country.

Since I mostly travel for work, I will expound on what I carry for that. I just made a Country Tour of Saudi Arabia. This is what I carried (Not what was in the car) It is basically my carry on bag that I take on every trip (Enhanced).

Bag is a Vanguest Pilium Bag with a large IFAK Pouch on the side.

Keep in mind this is a carry on bag I use for traveling to work...

For the Naysayers.......

Dell XPS-13 with accouterments for power, projection etc. Bose NC headphones and spare ear buds, mouse for the Dell.

A Vanquest pouch that contains power converters, batteries, plugs to gather electricity anywhere in the world. It also has a Waka Waka solar power source / Light which is the Balm in a remote setting. A Skyroam Wireless Internet device, a spare telephone and an LCD projector. CR123, AA and AAA batteries. Car 12v converters for everything.

In another pouch I carry my satellite phone and Garmin Rhino GPS with requisite connections etc. Prescription shatter resistant wrap around Raybans

I also carry a small box with supplements, a small LED flashlight that has Bright, Medium and Red flash settings. Magnet on the bottom. I also carry a Nitecore MH27 rechargeable 18650 flashlight that can be recharged indefinitely with the Waka Waka light. 10-12 Protein bars and I typically put a 2 liter bottle of water in the elastic cordage down the back. I pack a customize bag of mixed nuts as well for overseas trips. In the hydration pouch I carry a IIIA soft plate and a heavy duty survival blanket. Its made of a heavy duty tyvek like outer with a durable mylar reflective lining. Very durable yet inexpensive. I typically put a lifestraw strapped to the IFAK on the outside. If needed, I have Sawyer filter kits to attach to a water bottle, but don't always carry them.

IFAK - Kerlix prewrapped with vetwarp and CAT Tqt, 4 x 4's, large and small bandaids, a variety of OTC drugs like ibuprofen, immodium (Gott a refill after this trip, my colleague was "Not right", Cipro, Avatonquin(sp) benadryl, antibiotic ointment, saline solution, prednisone, antacides, dental, ear and eye care, mole skin, burn care and a chest seal. I have one of those little magnifying credit cards, not sure why I packed it a while back, but I use it often, so it stays. Small flashlight with head strap.

In my pockets I carry my Passport, wallet. If not flying, my Leatherman skeletool that travels in my carry on. In my sport coat pocket I carry a small IFAK with individual doses of OTC like ibuprofen, benadryl claritin, cold meds, of course immodium (always on top) small band aids, a water bag and treatment, antibiotic wipes. A compass. Lots of Cobalt Gum.

I can clear my pockets and have it all in the bin at airport security in less than 15 seconds.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:51 PM

G19 and a Benchmade, with a spare mag, probably should rethink my edc and ramp it up a bit, been lazy lately since the election which I know is a big mistake but I just had a big sigh of relief when it was over. This has been a good reminder that nothing has changed on the street.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM

My wallet, lighter, pocket knife, phone, and most of the time a handgun.