1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acudoc1 View Post
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce my self. I have recently acquired a 38 super barrel by barsto that looks...... well different. I have included pictures that will help describe this. I was told it was made for light custom loads and not safe for factory produced pressures. Has anyone seen milling like this or comment on the relative support of the cartridge file:///C:/Usefile:///C:/Users/schasens/Downloads/photo%20(2).JPGrs/schasens/Downloads/photo%20(3).JPG
file:///C:/Users/schasens/Downloads/photo.JPG
i see no pics
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM

barrel overhang

I like to fully blend them
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Que? Define "fully blend"

Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Those that believe in blending the frame ramp to the barrel ramp visualize that the cartridge slides smoothly up the ramps into the chamber. Sounds good.

LOG

Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM

All this assumes proper extractor tip shape and tension, a smooth breechface w/o burrs, and good magazines (Colt,Wilson or McCormick) with good springs.

And it could just be lousy ammo - poor crimp, lousy bullet design, etc. I always insist the gun be tested with major brand factory ammo before blaming the gun. Reloads and odd bullets don't count. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM

I think what was happening in the pictures is only the bottom edge of the barrel was relieved, not the whole throat changed which would leave the case unsupported. Based on overhang you would have to measure frame and determine if the dimensions are way off on the ramp. If they are you have three options, weld it up, cut it out to accept barrel with ramp attached, or a machine and weld in a new ramp. Throwing away frame is not a good answer unless other pin hole dimensions are off too. Look at Kuhnhausen's second book for every dimension on the frame.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:09 PM

overhang pic

Your problem is addressed in Wilson's book, which a lot of us downloaded from this site. There is a pic, too. It only took me about 15 minutes of work to fix my barrel after reading that.
Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayguns View Post
FWIW, our preferred method for dealing with this issue follows this logic:

So, we heat-sink the frame and weld up the feedramp intrusion, and recut it to correct specifications in relation to the slide stop pin bore and back wall of the barrel bed. We then refit everything around that corrected relationship to ensure reliable function.
Bruce
Yes... have done many... Tig works very well.
Jerry
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 PM

I just shipped an old comp gun to Bob Cogan that had been dremiled up and he said he was going to weld and recut the feed ramp to get it right.He said it was no big deal,has to do it all the time.Hopefully it is coming back as a 460 Rowland.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo1223 View Post
I like to fully blend them
Ok then...you do realize there is supposed to be barrel setback. They are not supposed to be flush.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM

I'm just curious... How loose is your slide frame fit? and how loose is your barrel link? I'm thinking you could go with a slightly shorter barrel link and fix the problem as long as the barrel still locks up when closed.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM

One option is a raw barrel with only the bore finished and there should be extra meat on the barrel link lug for you to have it milled lighter on the stop side then everything else on the barrel can be fit properly from there.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:48 AM

I concur with Pistolwrench... During my first build with an 80 percent frame I cut too much out of the feed ramp of the frame, I was at .225 and my match barrel overhung quit a bit, I thought I had ruined the frame then after doing some research online I learned that you can cut the barrel throat back. This I did and the 1911 45 acp I am referring to now has almost 8k rounds through it with no feeding issues or case bulging issues..

Note here, I use only factory ball or reloads that are duplicate of factory when shooting, I have used a few rounds of +P ammo with no issues.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM

remedy for the barrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrx7 View Post
I would think that the barrel could be "ported at the opening leaving top of opening untouched but lower part moved in to match ramp and fix the issue ... Mr. "smiths" am I right ... Pm sent
I think he can just file the lower outer part of the barrel so that it won't interfere with the bullet entering the chamber-----10 thousands of an inch filed can solve the problem----
Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover 1 View Post
I have a barrel that overhangs the frame by about .015 inches.

I understand that that I only need to mill/file/dress back the feed ramp region of the barrel and not the entire barrel face.

I searched, but could not find a good side view and front view photos of a barrel that has been modified.

Could a board member post a photo of their modified barrel?

Just wanted to make sure I was not planning to do something dumb.

Thanks,

Hoover
Could also be a too long link.
Fit a link before cutting.

Also note in your pictures, when the slide cycles the barrel is NOT flat onto the frame as you picture shows, but the muzzle is angled upward which reduces the ramp overhang.
But it is still too much. Barrel ramp angle is real touchy with hollow points.

If it is a frame problem the only reasonable solution is a fitted integral ramp barrel. Or the frame is junk.

Last edited by UncleRico; 05-08-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:22 AM

this thread/subject is the most informative/interesting in awhile. I concur this should be made a sticky
Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM

..Tig..

Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Neat.
A friend here is a toolroom machinist and attacked a Hardballer with great enthusiasm and skill, but no gunsmithing background. He welded up and recut the frame to the point that a ramp comes up behind the barrel ramp. Oddest looking thing, but it feeds his ammo and he is happy.

I no longer have the literature but I recall a brand of barrel that claimed great case support without the need of a mortise in the frame for an "integral ramp."
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
I think I can be of some help.

This first picture shows the 'barrel bed length'. It is measured from the
vertical impact surface to the top of the feed ramp. You need to slightly angle your calipers to get beneath the top edge break of the VIS.
This measurement needs to be .246" minimum. This one measures right at .246".

This shows a new and un-fit Kart bbl fully nested in the frame. Notice the overhang.

The next two show a Kart bbl faced back and re-throated to privide the proper gap.

Pic of the unsupported case area. If needed it could be deepened even further.

I hope this helps!
How much unsupported case is safe?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterPumice View Post
How much unsupported case is safe?
In the 1911 .250"-.260".

LOG

Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 PM

.25" ? Wow! Measured from?

Last edited by Pyrenean; 01-13-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
.25" ? Wow! Measured from?
The furthest case support from the breech face, which would be the break over corner into the chamber, when the barrel is as far forward in the slide as it can be.. I check by first knowing the absolute head space. Cut a .308 to that length and scribe the .250" and .260" and check.

Alternately know how much the hood end can be spaced between the hood end and breech by adding progressive thickness until it won't close. Then mark a case accordingly, subtract the space dimension, so you can hold the case even with the hood end to see.

LOG

Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
I think I can be of some help.

This first picture shows the 'barrel bed length'. It is measured from the
vertical impact surface to the top of the feed ramp. You need to slightly angle your calipers to get beneath the top edge break of the VIS.
This measurement needs to be .246" minimum. This one measures right at .246".

This shows a new and un-fit Kart bbl fully nested in the frame. Notice the overhang.

The next two show a Kart bbl faced back and re-throated to privide the proper gap.

Pic of the unsupported case area. If needed it could be deepened even further.

I hope this helps!
I know you posted this a long time ago, but thank you very much.

I have an inexpensive barrel I recieved in a parts lot, I'm going to try doing your method,.

I've never throated a barrel before, just polished ramps, I did have one that was flush, I filed it back (carefully), then smoothed the ramp sharp, it fed pretty much perfectly after that, but I use ball ammo ,( I never use "defensive rounds" in my 1911's. ).

I'm looking for your opinion on how much unsupported case a standard 45acp can take, without having to worry about it blowing out thru the mag well, and anecdotal info from others who have over throated, or cut back the barrel too far.

I'm also under the impression that a 40 S&W, 38 super, and other ammunition all have different amounts of unsupported case tolerances, and haven't found specific measures. Particularly with 40 S&W, I have been told needs almost completely support ( guessing based on the mk 1 glock 22, they were prone to bulging I've read).

PistolWrench, thank you again for this, and all your other posts over the years, I know they help me, I'm sure many others.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 PM

So here's my 04 llama max 1 lf

Hi this is my first post
You can see there is a bit of play in the barrel overhang I've put about 100 rds of ball ammo through it and a magazine of hollow points, no feed issues. When i nudge the barrel forward it sits ever so slightly forward of the frame. Is this a problem usually?
Attached Thumbnails
20170219_220925.jpg   20170219_221009.jpg