Idiot Scratch Proof - Page 16 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Thanks Log Man. This "idiot" just did the mod on my Norinco SS. It took all of 1 minute with a file. Guess I'll have to invest in some cold blue to put on all the mods I do. Now when I get my frame cerakoted I'll not have the idiot scratch to remind me of what an idiot I am!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:05 PM

I did this the other day and it works great, Thanks for the idea. You don't have to file a lot off to have this make a difference in ease of installation.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Excellent tip

Use this on all my 1911 slide stops- works perfectly.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM

Hey all, try this and see if it works for you. My Colt series 70 had the "hard to reassemble" slide stop problem. An old shooter on the marine pistol team showed me a trick. Move the slide to the point where you can engage the thumb safety. This puts the slide in the exact position necessary and also relieves some pressure on that pesky slide stop plunger spring, enough that I can get it to snap in like its supposed to every time.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp1953 View Post
Hey all, try this and see if it works for you. My Colt series 70 had the "hard to reassemble" slide stop problem. An old shooter on the marine pistol team showed me a trick. Move the slide to the point where you can engage the thumb safety. This puts the slide in the exact position necessary and also relieves some pressure on that pesky slide stop plunger spring, enough that I can get it to snap in like its supposed to every time.
Um, when the thumb safety is engaged the slide stop assembly notch is far and away from allowing the slide stop lug to pass trough as required to install.

LOG

Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 AM

logman - this is a great mod, considering all the thought you've put into easing reassembly while not compromising the function.

I've come at this problem from another way, and that is: of the many 1911s I've come across, there are 2 springs which I believe are overly heavy. One is the mag catch spring and the other is the thumb safety/slide stop plunger spring. I normally relieve these, then I not only have a smooth thumb safety range of motion, but also have a slide stop that snaps right in.

There's always the danger of going too light on the spring, so like all mods, it's necessary to go slow and combine light spring action with reshaping the components (which you've done here). More often than not, I've also had to reshape the thumb safety surface contour, for which I have found very little consistency between components from different manufacturers.

And have I mentioned the tendency of brand-new Springfields to hang up on the disconnector when riding the slide back into battery? Especially the GI models. But that's another story for another day
Old 04-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Those silicon carbide tips for engraving that comes with Dremel kits are the quickest way to make the notch. Using a vice, one drop of CLP and 10 seconds worth of work got the job done.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 AM

This mod works great...I'll be using it on all of my builds.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM

Ingenious, LogMan. You da man!

I have always been careful when installing the slide stop in my guns. The other night I stopped by a friends house that was former military, with my new never fired, Springfield SS 9mm. I had it field stripped and noted that the plunger on the slide stop side was fitted too long like some guns I've run across in the past. My friend asked to see it. Then proceeded to put the stop against the flat of the frame, press firmly and raked the frame. He still didn't get it in the notch. Tha plunger hung in the slot of the slide stop. But I did inherit a new idiot marked frame. I'd be pissed, but I'm going to Cerokote this gun.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 PM

Seems like this is more needed on Springfield's...? I need to do it to mine, an 80 production 1911A1. None of my colts need it, whether they where made in 1918 or 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 11:43 PM

It has to do with how long the plunger protrudes and if it has a fully rounded and smooth end.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:09 PM

I wanted to change out my TRP op full rail (bull barrel) guide rod to accept a standard Gi length one, but held back on that due to the fact that when I insert the slide stop It was always really hard to get in due to the plunger. With a GI guide rod I wouldn't be able to keep the recoil spring captured. I would have to be able to insert the slide stop while holding the slide back under recoil spring pressure. At least if I notch it I would be able to insert the slide stop one handed. I saw some recommendations to insert the slide stop half way with the slide forward and then rack the slide back under pressure to the notch so I can put the slide stop in the rest of the way, but I'd be to worried of dinging the slide with the slide stop that way.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Look what I found... on a new Wilson Combat Bullet Proof slide stop.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaniecowpony View Post
Look what I found... on a new Wilson Combat Bullet Proof slide stop.

Good picture. Wilson has been doing this for years on their Bullet Proof slide stops. One extra convenience offered to the buyer. Nothing new.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:34 PM

I'm WAY late to this thread. I have two 1911's, both Springfield, a TRP and a Champion. The Champion's slide stop has always popped in easily. The TRP's has always NOT.

After recently installing the Wilson 1-piece FLGR in the TRP, I was reminded of just what a PITA it really is, because I've had to depress the plunger with a jeweler's screwdriver or something every single time.

So tonight I did this mod. Like others have said, it took me all of about five minutes and it now pops in easily.

Thanks, Log Man. You're a genius!

Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM

until I looked at the second picture I could not see what you had done to the slide catch. Did you re-Parkerize or blue the slide catch. Thank for the pro level pics. And the info.

Ron
Old 12-31-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jza80tt View Post
I wanted to change out my TRP op full rail (bull barrel) guide rod to accept a standard Gi length one, but held back on that due to the fact that when I insert the slide stop It was always really hard to get in due to the plunger. With a GI guide rod I wouldn't be able to keep the recoil spring captured. I would have to be able to insert the slide stop while holding the slide back under recoil spring pressure. At least if I notch it I would be able to insert the slide stop one handed. I saw some recommendations to insert the slide stop half way with the slide forward and then rack the slide back under pressure to the notch so I can put the slide stop in the rest of the way, but I'd be to worried of dinging the slide with the slide stop that way.

Does this pistol not have a barrel bushing , or is it a reverse spring plug ? Why do you have to put the slide on with the spring under pressure , those are the only 2 reasons I can think of ???
Old 01-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69charger View Post
DANG. This idea is just about 24 hours late. Put my first little scratch on my NEW Colt Combat Commander xse. CRAP. Oh well. Its broken in now so i cant cry over spilt milk. (or can i?)
As my cousin Jeff (RIP) wisely said many years ago when my sister got her first scratch on her new car. "Now you can enjoy it."
Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
Does this pistol not have a barrel bushing , or is it a reverse spring plug ? Why do you have to put the slide on with the spring under pressure , those are the only 2 reasons I can think of ???
Correct sir no barrel bushing, reverse spring plug just as you thought.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jza80tt View Post
Correct sir no barrel bushing, reverse spring plug just as you thought.
I just saw where you stated bull parrel in( ) . Is there a small hole in your FLGR so you can use s steel wire to give you an assist in breaking it down ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
I just saw where you stated bull parrel in( ) . Is there a small hole in your FLGR so you can use s steel wire to give you an assist in breaking it down ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
There is and that definitely works, but the idea was that I wanted to change it to a GI length guide rod with a capped reverse plug. Seems like I just needed to learn to do a 3 handed job with one hand and stop my whining LOL.