Polished Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum Revolver - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Wink Polished Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum Revolver

Along with the .50 cal S&W 500, the 686 is one of the revolvers I polish most often. Rather than bombarding the forum with photos of the same guns over and over, I usually only post repeat models if there is something out of the ordinary about it. This is a stock, right from the factory 686, so nothing special. I just thought the photos looked nice

You can see more of my work at:
www.GunsPolishing.com
Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Very nice. Even Colt-loving Rick Grimes would be proud to pop some zombies with that one.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Polished 686

Never thought this model was that pleasing to look at compared to other Smiths like the Model 66, but that high polish really looks nice on that 686.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Curious as to why you didn't do the trigger and hammer. Artistic judgement?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
Probably case harden, like my older 686
Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Very nice!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Very nice. Even Colt-loving Rick Grimes would be proud to pop some zombies with that one.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8greeM* View Post
Never thought this model was that pleasing to look at compared to other Smiths like the Model 66, but that high polish really looks nice on that 686.
I finished up a 66-3 just the other day. It does look mighty nice, I must say. I'll post some photos in the next day or two.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
Probably case harden, like my older 686
The SMsgt called it right. The newer 686's (from -5 and on) have case hardened triggers and hammers. Conventional wisdom says that, because they are not stainless, they will rust if polished. Just to be sure of that, though, I polished the trigger on my own 686-6 several months ago, and sure enough, it showed spots of corrosion after about a week and got progressively worse from there.

The older 686's (from -4 and earlier - those with the hammer-mounted firing pin) have stainless steel replacements for the trigger and hammer that you can buy. The newer models do not, strangely, and the replacements for the older models are incompatible in such a way that they cannot be fitted to the newer revolvers (too little material in key contact spots)

Given the number of newer 686's I get for polishing, I considered designing and fabricating SS replacements of my own to polish and offer, but with all the cost, time, and legalities of patents and such, I decided against it (for now, at least).
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 PM

Wow! I haven't seen a single firearm that you've polished that didn't look impressive. I agree with 8greeM*, the 686 is mighty spectacular polished.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Wow! I haven't seen a single firearm that you've polished that didn't look impressive. I agree with 8greeM*, the 686 is mighty spectacular polished.
Thanks, man. I'm a big fan, too. In fact, a polished 686 is the one and only firearm I currently own. Where I go, it goes!