Polished Ruger SR1911 with 24k Gold Plated Components - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM

Talking Polished Ruger SR1911 with 24k Gold Plated Components

These twin Rugers are on their way home to a great customer in TX. We had several of the blued carbon steel parts 24k plated and we replaced several others with aftermarket stainless parts. The pistols actually each have two full sets of components, one set in 24k and another in polished stainless. We used the 24k parts for the photoshoot.

You can see more of my work at:
www.GunsPolishing.com
Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 PM

Not my first choice for such work, but those Rugers look quite pimptastic.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Who is the customer... Nicholas Cage?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I thought the same thing. If he doesn't get the dual behind the back holsters for these, then why even bother
Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Although not to my taste, I must admit that the high polish with gold accents looks very decorative and artistic. They'd be perfect for BBQ guns or to just display as functional works of art. You did an amazing job Rob, congrats to your new client.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Beautiful work, a little gaudy for an EDC but what BBQ guns !!!I notice the "Lawyer Marks" on the dust covers are also gone. I didn't realize there was enough metal there to take them off. Looks much better without it.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Anyone wanna humor a dumb kid? What's a BBQ gun?

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 PM

It's a Texas thing - the special pretty piece you wear to a BarBQue.
for it serves no purpose in His kingdom, in which there are
none but the upright." - Martin Luther, 1523 -
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
No, Castor Troy.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 PM

I haven't seen a pair like that since Dolly Parton was last on the Tonight Show with Carson. Simply beautiful Robert! Reminds me of the Taurus 1911 AR's from a few years back - though none were polished to the extent of your work. I have my pimp gun in dark polished blue and, like it or not, it's a very good shooter. Once the plating comes off, it's back to the shop. I just may need a companion for the Colt XSE you did for me several months back. It still looks great with no scratches to speak of.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM

You do great work. I would never do that to a gun of mine, but it would be great to have that polish under a deep blue.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:06 AM

Really nice great work. And many who have enough money can have fun like that, and nothing wrong with it either. Heck how many have jacked up cars boat's wear Jewelry? many many do it. Just bought myself one of those Remington factory hi-polish 1911's..and for the price was real happy with it. Not that fond of Ruger like I once was. But those would not be bad to have at all in the cabinet. And guns like that always spark a conversation.

RON K.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Pretty. So where's the BBQ this weekend?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Although not to my taste, I must admit that the high polish with gold accents looks very decorative and artistic. They'd be perfect for BBQ guns or to just display as functional works of art. You did an amazing job Rob, congrats to your new client.
Thanks, man! Yes, these are strictly BBQ all the way. I'm usually not a big fan of the gold plated pieces, but (and I may be biased in this case), I think this customer made all the right choices about what to plate in 24k and what to polish.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Beautiful work, a little gaudy for an EDC but what BBQ guns !!!I notice the "Lawyer Marks" on the dust covers are also gone. I didn't realize there was enough metal there to take them off. Looks much better without it.
Thanks for the kind words, Minorcan. The first question I ask any time someone sends in a Ruger is whether or not they want that nonsense removed. Although it takes a bit of extra work, I don't charge more for it. I consider it a public service Ironically, though, this particular customer is a lawyer.

As far as the depth goes, the lawyer marks and slide markings are laser engraved on, not stamped, so they're pretty shallow. The S/N is engraved on significantly deeper, but the rest of the markings are barely even there. It takes a great deal of patience and finesse to sand and polish them without compromising them, so deliberately removing them is a simple matter.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevysupreme View Post
Anyone wanna humor a dumb kid? What's a BBQ gun?

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
BEHOLD
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196979
Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
I haven't seen a pair like that since Dolly Parton was last on the Tonight Show with Carson. Simply beautiful Robert! Reminds me of the Taurus 1911 AR's from a few years back - though none were polished to the extent of your work. I have my pimp gun in dark polished blue and, like it or not, it's a very good shooter. Once the plating comes off, it's back to the shop. I just may need a companion for the Colt XSE you did for me several months back. It still looks great with no scratches to speak of.

Thanks, man. I still can't get over those grips. Perfect choice