High Polished Smith & Wesson 9mm Model 5906 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up High Polished Smith & Wesson 9mm Model 5906

The S&W semi-autos don't seem to get much love, but they're great pistols, IMO, in both looks and function. Here are a few photos of a 9mm Model 5906 I polished for a local customer recently. I also have a 10mm Model 1006 coming up for treatment in the next week or so.

You can see more of my work at:
www.GunsPolishing.com
Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Absolutely Stunning !!!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Absolutely Stunning !!!!!
Thanks! The new grips really compliment the polished finish well. I can't recall what kind of wood they are, though.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Administrator

You definitely don't see something like this everyday. Great work! I'm sure the owner will be giddy when he receives it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 AM

Congrats to the owner. Another outstanding job from Patriot Polishing. Your wife's photo skills continue to shine and reflect your work.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:21 AM

Polish

Patriot polished a Sig 220 Carry Elite for me that came out incredibly. On top of the workmanship the owner is one stand up guy and a pleasure to do business with. Highly endorsed!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr527 View Post
Patriot polished a Sig 220 Carry Elite for me that came out incredibly. On top of the workmanship the owner is one stand up guy and a pleasure to do business with. Highly endorsed!
Robert is a United States Marine and it shows.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr527 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Robert is a United States Marine and it shows.
Thanks so much for the kind words, guys. That really means a lot!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Administrator

A local shop got in one of the factory-polished Remington R1S pistols. Compared to Robert's work the thing is a mess, with uneven polishing and other flaws like the cocking serrations rounded off. There's something to be said for leaving a job like this to a master refinisher who knows what he's doing and takes the time to get it right.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:47 PM

Absolutely beautiful. I have always considered the 5906 to be a very good gun, built like a tank, but not particularily nice looking. The fine polish job on that gun tells me I was quite mistaken. Patriot clearly knows he's doing.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM

Yeah, that's shiny alright! Amazing!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
A local shop got in one of the factory-polished Remington R1S pistols. Compared to Robert's work the thing is a mess, with uneven polishing and other flaws like the cocking serrations rounded off. There's something to be said for leaving a job like this to a master refinisher who knows what he's doing and takes the time to get it right.
High praise! Thanks, dsk! I have not seen any of the Remington factory polished guns, but I have come across several from the Colt Shop in the last few years that left much to be desired.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
Absolutely beautiful. I have always considered the 5906 to be a very good gun, built like a tank, but not particularily nice looking. The fine polish job on that gun tells me I was quite mistaken. Patriot clearly knows he's doing.
Thank you! It took awhile for the aesthetics of the S&W pistols to grow on me, too (Miami Vice was on past my bedtime ). Granted, they don't compare to the lethal elegance of the 1911, but they're not bad
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Back when they were in production I used to regard the S&W metal-framed autos as little more than ugly double-action 1911 knock-offs. Now that they're history and we're all stuck with plastic guns nowadays I kinda miss 'em.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 PM

I think it's time to put something else in the Patriot line. This could become habit forming!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
I think it's time to put something else in the Patriot line. This could become habit forming!
You have excellent taste, my friend, so I anxiously await your next project!