Milt Sparks 45th anniversary! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Milt Sparks 45th anniversary!

45 years ago Milt jumped into the holster business in ernest, following a magazine write up by fellow Idahoan, Elmer Keith, back in 1969. Shortly thereafter, Milt became aquainted with Jeff Cooper who wrote him up in his book, "Cooper on Handguns" that was published back in 1972. We've been backlogged ever since.

I should have been on top of things, as last year was our 44th anniversary and with the 44 being almost synonymous with Elmer Keith??? Oh well... another marketing opportunity lost.

Anyway, Look for some special runs celebrating our 45th year, built around the 45 auto of course. Maybe possibly some retro stuff? We'll see what 2014 brings...

Stay tuned!

To error is human, to forgive is canine.~ Duck Dodgers
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Congratulations!

and continued success and creativity, Tony. My wife bought my first Sparks holster (a Yaqui) 40 years ago - that's four - zero, and throughout the years I've been through a few. Milt certainly made his right choice in passing on the leather and needle. Bravo to all of you!
Vote for a living."
Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
Anyway, Look for some special runs celebrating our 45th year, built around the 45 auto of course. Maybe possibly some retro stuff? We'll see what 2014 brings...

Stay tuned!
Congratulations Tony and crew. You have made Mr. Milt Sparks proud by carrying on the tradition of high quality concealment holster.

Maybe one of those old leather pilot instrument landing simulator (I started to type "stimulator") hehe. Seriously, maybe the 1AT in tan with fancy stitches like Ross Seyfried's rig or a Gold Label rig.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Tony;

Congratulations on an astounding benchmark. Your products are the standard to which others aspire. I'll definitely be looking out for your anniversary line.

All the best.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Congrats Tony and Crew on your company milestone! I look forward to adding to my MS collection in 2014. I look forward to seeing some of the retro stuff from early on.
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Retro stuff sounds great! Congrats on your anniversary!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM

By all means! Please keep us informed! I'm really looking forward to the release of that holster design that shaves a full second off of my draw time.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM

Do not forget Mel Tappan's Survival Guns. I purchased my first holster from Milt around 1978 after reading that book. Sending out those envelopes and waiting for the catalogs to show up. Still have a few early holsters hiding somewhere.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Purchased my first Sparks with my Colt Lightweight Commander in 1981. Still works great, but I go for the new stuff too(love that Nexus). Put me down for one of whatever you decide on 5" right hand black.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM

I first heard of Milt Sparks from Elmer Keith's gunnotes in Guns & Ammo magazine back in the 70's. Immediately ordered a No. 1 holster, belt and mag pouch for my LW Commander. I wrote to Milt and convinced him to make me a copy of the old Hardy Cooper shoulder holster which i wore for years until the clamp spring lost its zest. It was the only shoulder holster for a 1911 i have ever had that was comfortable. Of course it was made to my personal measurements. It was fast, comfortable and secure till the spring gave out. I gave it to a friend of mine who was a holster collector. If it was not the first Hardy Cooper Milt built it was one of the first.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 PM

Just ordered a black Nexus with shark loops. Now the wait begins...!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Perhaps a reduction in price to the standards of 45 years ago?
(It was worth a try! )
Congrats on 45 years!
Hope the next 45 are even greater!
(Hope the backlog can get shorter too!)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Banned

Congratulations!

I personally do not own any of your fine leatherwork although I have spent many hours lusting over them on your website. I am trying to save up and purchase one but it seems every time I get some put back it goes to feeding the family or the gas tank. As my father used to say "Boy, you've got champagne tastes and a beer pocketbook." Anyhow, congratulations on the many achievements and it is always good to see an American company not only surviving but thriving!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Congratulations, Tony! My third Sparks holster is currently on order, and I wear one of your belts daily.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks all!

Some walk and draw rigs that Milt and crew had built back in the early 70's

This one below might look familiar.

1AT Rig made for Ross Seyfried and pictured in our 1980 catalog. And no, the gun is not seated all the way in the holster.

Here ya go, Ricky...

Brochure pics from the early seventies. Please note: prices not current.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Tony.

How about this one:

With plastic liner:

Not sure what happened there, someone wrote "a Bad Thought" with an arrow pointed to where a screw or button used to be.

Three generations:

I believe the one on the right started out as a Gold Label holster? Ken Hackathorn experimented with a tensioning device by drilling and installing a screw and nut.

Last edited by Ricky T; 01-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 PM

I'll order a IAT, and a walk and draw. How about an original Yaqui slide? When will we see what you are going to make?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Congrats on the 45th year in business...I guess it must be time to order again, I would want you or your crew to go hungry!
NRA Life member
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Happy anniversary. I can not think of a product that has brought such satisfaction and pride of ownership as my Milt Spark leather rigs. As the poet said " A thing of beauty is a joy forever." It is worth an extra trip to your shop if I will bring a guy like the one who insisted on soaking himself with mink oil, or my friend who wanted special modifications including a snooze can holder. Lock the door. I hope your anniversary will bring all the enjoyment as my Idaho neighbors can stand.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:28 PM

2014, 45th anniversary maker stamp

Products on orders that were taken between January 1st, 2014 through December 31st ,2014 will be marked with our 45th anniversary maker stamp in place of our regular maker stamp. Come January 1st, 2015 we go back to our regular stamp. More to come...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

Very cool Tony!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 AM

I ordered more than I would have normally just to have all of my gear matching with the 45th anniversary stamp. Thanks for continuing to make a superb product.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:20 PM

So what happened to the "special runs" or the "retro" stuff that was mentioned? I would have broke the bank to get some old school Milt Sparks leather.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt View Post
So what happened to the "special runs" or the "retro" stuff that was mentioned? I would have broke the bank to get some old school Milt Sparks leather.
Our intentions really were good, but unfortunately the year just got away from us as usual. Anyway, sorry for the teaser, but I really did intend to follow through. As the idiom goes; "the best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray"

T

Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
Our intentions really were good, but unfortunately the year just got away from us as usual. Anyway, sorry for the teaser, but I really did intend to follow through. As the idiom goes; "the best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray"

T
I can understand. But, it's never too late!