Unchambered 312 6.42%
Chambered with hammer back and safety engaged 4,284 88.13%
Chambered with hammer down 265 5.45%
Voters: 4861. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Banned

Lou Alessi May he R.I.P Invented the perfect Shoulder Rig ( The
Bodyguard).? For the 1911's.? with a Pull through Snap.? That Eliminates the need for a Thumb break.? For caring your 1911's In condition #1.? I Love my Rig from Alessi.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM

I carry a pretty standard GI type 1911 c1 in a thumb break holster. A while back I decided to try an extended thumb safety. The safety strap would disengage the extended safety so I went back to the standard GI type, problem solved.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbie View Post
I carry a pretty standard GI type 1911 c1 in a thumb break holster. A while back I decided to try an extended thumb safety. The safety strap would disengage the extended safety so I went back to the standard GI type, problem solved.
While you're at it you might consider getting rid of the safety strap, too. They can disengage even standard safeties when you're engaged in something strenuous -- like holding off an attacker.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM

I never have troubles with my safeties in thumbsnap holsters. My Bianchi was built with the big "gas pedals" in mind, so it never has problems.

"It's not a sewing machine. It's a rugged, bitch-slapping, war winning machine, and it's not taking prisoners." -- MGould
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Carrying a chambered 1911

Con 1. That's why I finally bought my Kimber. Only way to carry a gun IMHO. But why did I wait so long
ps: GREAT forum. Learn something everyday!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM

cocked & locked in a Bulman holster
Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Cocked and locked-
remember to keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you draw.
Master finger along the frame until you are ready to fire
you practice shooting? Practice your draw. Carry in confidence
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Round Chambered

What about chambered in half cocked mode? Isn't that pretty safe?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemj View Post
Quarter cock is not a mode of carry. The purpose is to arrest or prevent the hammer from falling and it requires you to manually lower the hammer on a live round. The gun is perfectly safe to carry with the hammer cocked and the manual safety engaged. I have kept multiple 1911s, a Hi-Power, a TA90 (CZ clone), etc...cocked and locked year round and I have carried all of them in this state for a number of years.

People like to try to reinvent the wheel. More than one has said that an empty chamber with the hammer back makes for easier racking and it's better, quarter clock, hammer down, so on an so forth all with various excuses. "I will have time to draw and rack my weapon as I have ESP and I can detect aggression!" Or, "Well, I feel uncomfortable and it's just as fast!" You get the point.

Either get comfortable and become friends with the system or find something you are comfortable with that can be carried in an optimal condition. Why risk your thumb slipping, or in the case of more modern hammers the quarter clock notch being absent, and the hammer being bumped during your daily activities and falling all of the way (not a safety issue but you're back to condition two). A lot of what ifs and fuss when there is a proven method.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Cocked and locked, why in the world you wouldn't carry in this fashion is beyond me.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
Cocked and locked, why in the world you wouldn't carry in this fashion is beyond me.
A: they think it is "unsafe" or it makes them uncomfortable. B: from time to time we get some genius or another that thinks he knows everything who tries to share his brilliant idea in the interest of mass elucidation. C: some folks love to argue about how it was or was not meant to be carried by John Moses Browning himself.

Group A often needs some education, a bit of confidence in the weapon, or to move on and find something else to carry (no I am not being a snob just honest. If you cannot trust the gun enough to carry it ready to fire then there is a problem and no, it is not the gun but the individual packing it).

Group B consists of mostly people with huge inferiority complexes or delusions of adequacy as they drone on about how the IDF carries condition 3 and how fast they are. Ask the same guy how fast that same Israeli would be just drawing and sticking off a safety and watch their eyes pinwheel. That being said the other half just wants to prove that they are right and we are all stupid, backwards, and ignorant. A small portion, and this is just my opinion, just wants an excuse to cover up the fact that cocked and locked carry makes their stones shrivel up. Genius ideas have been that cocked and locked is hard on the mainspring, quarter clock is there so it must be for that, "the Israelis do it", or "I can carry condition 3, because no one ever has to draw an shoot in a hurry. Nor does it happen under immense physiological and psychological pressure."

Group C? Well he'll, don't ask me. Either it's "this is how I was taught and no one has ever taught me anything wrong" IE "I am incapable of learning the wrong thing," or for the advocates of how Browning wanted it? Well he left no notes, he was no soldier, gunslinger, or pistolero, so short of a seance or inducing a near death experience so you can find him and ask him personally....who gives a damn what he thought on the subject of how I should carry a gun a hundred plus years after the fact.

This might get some panties in some major wads but that is honestly how these folks come across (at least to me). That being said, so long as they don't tell me how to carry or openly tell the world how great their "system" is I generally leave them alone so. we can both continue on thinking the other is stupid.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Kodadek; 09-12-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor777 View Post
i carry con 2 but i have trained myself that part of my draw is thumbing the hammer, call me wierd or stupid its just how i do it. i think it comes from carrying a M9 to much were you always have the hammer down cause you can fire double action in those, i have drilled and practiced enought that i feel confident that buy the time i present the weapon its locked and cocked and someone is going to be eating a few hydra-shok rounds. i know everyone is going to come on here and tell me that con1 is the only way to carry, i have tried it and i get paranoid about the safety coming off
Me too. It seems we're the minority, but oh well. I practiced cocking the hammer on the draw and I'm now quite comfortable doing it. You spend 1000 of hours carring without drawing it (hopefully), so I carry in such a way to feel safe and comfortable. Also the same reason I carry a 3" barrel and not a larger one.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM

I used to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber until I became an active Federal LEO 10 years ago. During the 26 years I was on active duty in the Coast Guard (carrying 1911s that were older then I and I am 61) we carried hammer back on an empty chamber - something that I could never understand - if you have to draw and chamber a round under duress, in a maritime setting it could be fatal. The worst part of that scenario was that we did not train to chamber on the drawn at the range; it was basic pistol qualification load, chamber, fire on command.

With my agency the mantra is "when you empty your magazine, reload, chamber, and re-engage. Basically the way it should be.

Back to the 1911 and chambered, cocked, and locked; I own 40+ 1911s; I have never had one discharge when the safeties are being used as they should be. Heck the Glock 17 that we used to carry and the H&K USP2000 we now carry don't have any safeties what so ever other then keeping the finger off the trigger unless shooting and we've never had one go off - unless a finger was involved!

However you feel safest carrying then go ahead; its your decision; not mine.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Whatever you decide is the best for you, practice, practice, practice.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemj View Post
I had a friend, a company commander, who carried that way in Viet Nam. He also carried an M16. One day he slung his M16, the rifle butt hit the holster (and the hammer underneath the holster flap) and he got a .45 round right through the calf of his leg.

Never, never, NEVER carry an M1911 on half cock.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking 6 years is long enough.