1911Forum banner

WML on EDC?

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  steviesterno 
#1 ·
After searching a bit, I came up inconclusive.

For Joe NRA Blow, a competent concealed carry permitted handgun owner, knowledgeable enough to carry a 1911 for EDC, and knowledgeable enough to try to avoid "situations":

Would you recommend carrying a Weapon Mounted Light?

Why or why not?

Curious, James

#2 · (Edited)
I have a very powerful handheld light since I don't like the huge bulk of a rail mounted light. If you don't mind it then go with a rail mounted one if you want, I don't see any issue with them and I have many of them on other handguns.

#3 · (Edited)
The added bulk is the tough part. I know guys who carry a full size M&P with a mounted X300U while off duty. I don't. I have been playing with a Streamlight TLR-6 on my S&W Shield and I do like it (the Shield isn't my primary carry gun any more), but I think there's a bit more development to be had and then WMLs for EDC CCW guns are going to go big time.

I do think WMLs are excellent tools. They don't replace hand held lights... I firmly believe we need to be carrying those too... and know how to use them in concert with a handgun as well as independently. WMLs have saved lives, will save lives, reduce hesitation, and allow a much more consistent training and manual of arms compared to hand held lights. The drawbacks can be greatly mitigated with training and the seeming popularity of shooting people we don't intend to shoot in the dark is highly indicative of the benefits.

Of course, there are drawbacks, and I've had to deal with those drawbacks on a very large scale. Training is a big deal, as is an understanding of context... when to use certain tools and when not to. If a whole new population of people start using WMLs with little or no training we will likely see a rise in unintentional (predominantly negligent) discharges as well as some concerns with proper use and tactics. The good thing is that with social media, if the right techniques and tactics get pushed, they'll get pushed very quickly. Sadly, there's a bunch of misinformation, bad tactics, horrible techniques, and straight-out lies involved in the "issue" of WMLs.

To sum it up... I HIGHLY recommend WMLs for those who can pull them off, and who get PROPER training in their use.

#4 ·
Weapon mounted lights.....

I used a WML as a Deputy Sheriff for a while, and was properly trained. However, a LEO is more likely to use a WML than the average concealed carry person, since a LEO that works at night will constantly be investigating burglaries and other night time crimes where having a WML is a plus.

For the average civilian shooter, the chance of needing a gun for self defense is very remote, unless a person lives in a high crime area. In addition, the average distance in a self defense shooting is probably about 7 yards......this is close enough that with practice, point shooting may be a better option. When a person's life is on the line, speed and accuracy to the first shot is most likely going to let the victim survive the confrontation.

I had "night sights" on my concealed carry gun, never had to use them, and after 15 years they no longer glowed in darkness.

A weapon mounted light may seem to be a good idea, but they are best for LEO's and Military in combat zones, since the chance of using them is much higher......not so much for the average civilian. I would rather carry a separate and high lumen 6" flashlight on my belt, than a weapon mounted light. ;)

#5 ·
If you carry, you need a light. Whether it's handheld or weapon mounted is a personal choice. No right or wrong answers, just pros and cons. A weapon mounted light leaves both hands free for better grip and control of the weapon. But if it's your only light, you may inevitably have to point a loaded gun at things you don't want to destroy...like maybe a family member who got up to get a glass of water.

#7 · (Edited)
Ive only carried with a wml a handful of times but I always have a small single AAA light in my pocket. I use Streamlight brand mainly. If I'm going out at night I will carry my Surefire 6p with my spare magazine on weak side. I will still have the single Streamlight in my pocket. We use the Streamlight Stylus Pro at work, carry them in a shirt pocket but I still have lil Streamlight in my pants / shorts pocket.

My EDC single AAA light is a Streamlight ProTac programmable.

#10 ·
If I were a LEO working nights, I would likely have a WML. I am an old retired guy who rarely goes out after dark. I have two dogs who can see in the dark. We have night lights throughout the house. We have a street light outside our bedroom. I have a laser on my nightstand gun. I have flashlights on both nightstands, in every room of our house, and in every vehicle. I see no reason for a WML.

#11 ·
No. I can see fine during the day & at night I don't hang out in dark places. I live in an urban/suburban area. So the places I go at night are stores, parking lots, malls, restaurants, etc. All are well-lit.

I don't go into dark alleys behind these places. Or into the shrubbery at the side of the road.

Put another way, I've never needed a flashlight to see anything when out & about so I don't carry one.

And the only time I've used the light-ap on my phone is when under a car hood or reading a menu in a fancy steak joint.

I get the whole "be prepared" thing but I don't carry a drill press either.

#13 ·
For..., a competent concealed carry permitted handgun owner, ...

Would you recommend carrying a Weapon Mounted Light?

Why or why not?

Curious, James
I would not. I post these three links fairly regularly...

Tucker Gun Leather FAQ

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/faq/

Q. Does Tucker recommend carrying a defensive pistol with a light attached to an accessory rail?

A. Tucker says, "If you're on a SWAT team, go for it. If not, your pistol is a quick-response tool for a sudden and extreme self-defense situation. If you have a light on the gun, you may find it distracting enough to slow dowin your response."
Sherman A. House, Revolver Science, quoting Tom Givens on night sights...

https://revolverscience.com/2016/04/01/low-light-red-sights-and-tom-givens-glock-35/

...in the 60 plus defensive shootings his students have been involved in, the lighting (or lack of lighting) was a factor in the outcome in exactly ZERO cases.
Tom Givens in American Handgunner

https://americanhandgunner.com/when-citizens-fight-back/

The point is, for the LE or MIL person, having an attached light makes a lot of sense. However, for the civilian concealed carrier, not as much.

#17 ·
I have one pistol, a 40 S&W 226, that frequently wears a light and that I can carry in a holster designed for a light. I do not, however, use it as my concealed EDC. I use it in the woods at night or as a truck gun. I like my EDC to be compact and simple. I always have a hand held light close at hand that I can put in my pocket if I think I might need it.

I have also used weapon mounted lasers on several handguns, but they have all gradually wound up on a back shelf.

#18 ·
i think it depends on what you do. I have a baby, so I'm pretty much home and asleep by night. Yesterday the sun was out when I fell asleep. I don't go out much after dark, and if I will be I'll have a light with me. I don't think I"ll need to shoot at distance out in the world, and if I can't ID my target I have no reason to pull the trigger anyway.

I have used my EDC light to find my way out of a grocery store during a power failure, but that's it. I will carry a light and red dot on my pistol once the technology flushes out, but no real need until then. Currently it's added bulk, ruins my holster selection, and anything that makes me less likely to strap the gun on is something I don't need.

Now for a HD/zombie/woods/camping/travel gun? absolutely you need a high quality and proven WML. all my gear set up for that can throw light 100 yards or more. but that's because those are set up for things that go bump in the night, not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.