1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange gunfight occurs at a car dealership in Greenville Texas

4K views 83 replies 36 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
This is a odd case. A gunfight erupted at a Greenville car dealership when two men attempted to arrest a third man. All three are dead at this time. No one else appears to have been hurt either. What adds to the oddity is that two of the men claimed to be Federal Agents and waited several hours for the third man to arrive. That was when they attempted to arrest him and the gunfight erupted between them. The two men who claimed to be federal agents may actually have been bounty hunters, But right now information is quite sketchy about it all.

I would have thought that the manager, etc would have asked to see their ID's. Usually this is Federal Marshals or FBI types doing this kind of a thing and they would have readily displayed their ID's and badges. But apparently people just took them at their word about their identities.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/3-...n-Dealership-Greenville-Police-425417344.html

#68 · (Edited)
^^^^^

Indeed. A planned (at least to some degree) confrontation between a fugitive and a pair of bounty hunters has DANGER written all over it. To do so in an auto dealership in the obvious presence of innocent/unaware members of the general public reeks of dubious judgement ... or the total absence of judgement. On the part of the two principals and anyone consenting to the undertaking.

#71 ·
^^^^^

Indeed. A planned (at least to some degree) confrontation between a fugitive and a pair of bounty hunters has DANGER written all over it. To do so in an auto dealership in the obvious presence of innocent/unaware members of the general public reeks of dubious judgement ... or the total absence of judgement.
... a fugitive with a warrant, among others, for assaulting an LEO. Given that alone, the risk leval goes up a notch.

From both the video and reports, (leaving location out of it for the moment) it seems that things started out ok, and reports indicate that the BG initially dropped his gun. At tha point, the bounty hunters have the edge, and time on their side- going hands on was a bad decisions. Issue commands, have him move from behind the desk. If he fails to comply, re evaluate. IF the suspect goes for the gun, shoot him and call it a day...

As someone else mentioned, I'd be interested to see who shot whom, how, when and where... did the suspect even recover his weapon or fire it...? From the video, which admittedly shows a single, third party perspective, it sounds like the first shot came almost the instant they go hands on...

#72 ·
Funny thing... Here in Texas a bondsman can "go off the bond" by submitting an affidavit and then a warrant gets issued. This is for Texas with a Texas fugitive, no need for a bounty hunter, when within Texas for a Texas fugitive. Regular, trained LEOs can handle this.

I think in this case the fugitive and Bounty Hunter company where both out of Minnesota.

#75 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but (generally speaking) any time one skips a Court date, an arrest warrant is generally issued, isnt it?

Regards, the reason that fugitive retrieval is the industry that it is is because "regular, trained LEOs" have neither the time, resources, or inclination to activity track down every criminal that jumps bail- less so once they go out of State.

#80 · (Edited)
I agree, Hapworth. Calling innocent people who were victims of a violent felon's actions "stupid" and "dumb" is beyond the pale. Did the people who were killed use proper tactics in their attempt to arrest the murderer? I don't know and I really don't care. Plenty of "legitimate" police officers have been killed because their tactical inadequacies failed them but no one (well, maybe some here might) calls them stupid and dumb.
Some here seem to know it all without knowing anything. For God's sake, two innocent victims lost their lives at the hands of a monster. Wives, children, mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, all left without their loved ones but some of us feel free to call them dumb and stupid? Shame on you.

#82 ·
I suspect that the two bounty hunters broke several laws in Texas at the time. One example was that they probably got greedy and didn't want to share the bounty with the locals. I think that a bounty hunter needs permits or licenses in Texas to operate. They were going to grab the guy and drive him back to Minnesota without involving anyone in Texas. Hoping to avoid getting caught themselves.

I remember when I did police work in the past that the bounty hunters would contact the police department and have some police on hand for when they went into a house to look for a fugitive. I had been one of the officers on several of those excursions. I really didn't have to do anything, I was just there. But they had the paperwork for it all set and ready to go though.

Then of course the police and Feds would not have waited inside a public building with people around to make the arrest. They would have planned it better to minimize the risk to the public around the area. That entire scenario could have gone really bad if other people got shot or hurt in the process.

#83 ·
I suspect that the two bounty hunters broke several laws in Texas at the time. One example was that they probably got greedy and didn't want to share the bounty with the locals. I think that a bounty hunter needs permits or licenses in Texas to operate. They were going to grab the guy and drive him back to Minnesota without involving anyone in Texas. Hoping to avoid getting caught themselves.

Whats the basis for your "suspicion"? Both WERE TX residents and licensd in TX; one was on the State trade association board... what evidence of legal violation has been presented? They MAY have represented as Feds, but thats bothfactually and legally questionable at best, just speculation...

Then of course the police and Feds would not have waited inside a public building with people around to make the arrest. They would have planned it better to minimize the risk to the public around the area. That entire scenario could have gone really bad if other people got shot or hurt in the process.

Interesting assumtion... Im sure that of the 18000+ LE agencies in the US, NONE, has EVER executed a piss poor plan....
Some thoughs...

I can think of one case where Federal LEOs, surveiling a fugitive in a remote location, intentionally made noise to see what would set the dogs off, got in a gunfight resulting inba death, and LIED about the engagement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.