1911Forum banner

Lever Action Rifle for HD?

4K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  Fizz 
#1 ·
I got to thinking about "long guns" that I have for any number of uses.
I know a lot of us keep a handgun AND a shotgun around for SD/HD.
I have a Henry .44 mag lever gun. I never really thought of "leaning it against the corner" for HD use. Anyone use them? I always have a 12ga. loaded with 00 buck close at hand. Just curious.

#32 ·
I've owned several lever guns over the years and discovered that bottle neck rifle rounds fed much more reliably than pistol calibers. I now have a .44 mag Henry that feeds well but required a trip back to the factory. I also have the same rifle in .357 mag, but its feeding is not as reliable. I suspect that the .357 will be going back soon. At this point, I would not designate either for home defense since I have pump shotguns and an AR set aside for that role. I hunted with pump guns for 55 years. 870 and Mossberg 500 shotguns shoot where I look--one reason for the choice.

#37 ·
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. If you face a threat that can take 10 rounds of 240 grain bullets at 1800 fps, you are in a really bad fix. Hickok45 will only shoot his at armor plate gongs, not his steel pigs and goats.

There's thump at both ends. After a few rounds you ask yourself, "I shoot these in a revolver?"

#38 · (Edited)
I also have a Marlin, 18?? model, lever-action, in 44mag, I don't use it for HD, but would have absolutely no problem doing so. Fast enough, very accurate...Funny, I sold my S&W 44 mag revolver, it was just toooo much, replaced it with a 357M which is just perfect for my tastes in revolver, but in carbine the 44mag is "wonderful". :)

#40 ·
Heck, it was the winchester 92 that won the civil war, made the west sae for helpless crying liberals, Opened up California for the gold rush of 1849 and the perversion of the system in 1960. OK I'm getting a little testy here, But I've watched enough old westerns to know the lever action has been cleaning house for a long time.

#42 ·
I got rid of all my long guns except my 45.70 guide gun. I could have kept back a 12 gauge Mossberg Mariner or an AK-47 for home defense but live in Alaska. Extra penetration could be good if you can line up two or more bad guys at once, and should you ever wind up in court a traditional lever gun might be more jury friendly than an assault rifle or riot gun. If I only was concerned with home defense I would have kept the pump gun. My wife has a Glock .45 and I only recently got a Remington R1-Carry, but the Glock is Her gun and for the past several years I relied on the Guide gun and felt well armed. For me it is faster to rise up out of bed and snag a long gun when I am awaken out of a dead sleep. I did not get my new 1911 for home defense. I got it because it looked like a fine gun at a good price. I never felt under armed when all I had was a bolt action rifle either though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.