1911Forum banner

Every time I pick up / put down gun

3K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  Fazer386 
#1 ·
Every morning when holstering my carry gun, I draw, sweep the safety off, point at a target (light switch, painting, etc) with eyes on the front sight & finger off the trigger.

Then I re-engage the safety & re-holster the gun.

Same routine at night when I go to bed.

So that's over 700 practice presentations per year, without even counting my regular practice sessions.

A low-impact way to get some training in.

#40 ·
Every time (Safe controlled environment)

the gun goes on:

1. Slow draw and sight picture.
2. Drop magazine and press check.
3. Safety on and insert magazine.
4. Gun easy back into holster.

I do this routine for my duty gun, carry gun and competition gun. It takes 10 seconds to ready your pistol.

An instructor years ago suggested a routine like this for your subconscious to recognize your front sight and sight picture. Rob Leatham talks about knowing your sights to help your shooting.

#42 ·
the gun goes on:

1. Slow draw and sight picture.
2. Drop magazine and press check.
3. Safety on and insert magazine.
4. Gun easy back into holster.

I do this routine for my duty gun, carry gun and competition gun. It takes 10 seconds to ready your pistol.

An instructor years ago suggested a routine like this for your subconscious to recognize your front sight and sight picture. Rob Leatham talks about knowing your sights to help your shooting.
If nobody else but you ever touches your gun why the need to constantly check it? Not just you but I read this a lot? Many people feel the need to check it often if not daily. Why?

#43 ·
Ooops! Tragedy this morning!

Right as I drew on the ugly Ernst Fuchs painting my brain went haywire.

I inexplicably forgot I was in my home, thinking I was at a shooting range (my home decor being cinderblock with random brass underfoot)

So I put my finger INSIDE the trigger guard! Then, farting yet again, I pulled the trigger for no reason at all! Maybe I was having a stroke.

Thus sending a mighty .380 hollowpoint on it's fateful journey. Through the hideous pallet-knife oil painting. Then the sheetrock drywall, through the insulation, tar paper & wood lath.

Then thundering through the exterior concrete/stucco of my 1950's house.

Not done yet, it powered onward through my plywood shed wall. Then through the four feet of split oak firewood AND the plywood door too!

------surprising for a round that only penetrates 12 inches of gelatin.

Anyhow, as misfortune would have it, a skinny trespasser had climbed over my gate & squeezed herself between my shed and my truck, thinking it was the line at Starbucks.

The mighty .380 smiting her like the hammer of Thor.

Alas, I should have seen this completely foreseeable series of events coming.

#44 ·
I set off a primer when I was at my loading bench in my office once. Man, my ears rang off of that for a while. Forget the dang light switch, painting or whatever "safe" target... even if no one gets hurt by an ND, the hearing loss of firing a round inside a house has to be a deterrent for most of us. I think I'll just stick to holster drawing with an empty gun unless I'm outside.

#45 ·
Every time that I pick up a gun.

And then set it down. I make sure that I log it into the range book for that particular gun.

#51 ·
As I've already said: Even if I shot that wall no one would be hurt. So this matters not.

However, for arguments sake, let's talk "accident" .

TWO separate (& personally abhorrent!) actions would have to take place:

1. I'd have to put my finger inside the trigger guard------------ (NO WAY)

2. I'd then ALSO have to actually PULL the trigger!!---------------- (NO WAY TIMES A THOUSAND)

These two actions go way beyond "accident" ----that would be intentionally shooting the damn wall.

And I'm not going to fire a gun in my house anymore than I'm going to "brain fart" and stick a fork in my eye.

I can handle this, and tableware, just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.