1911Forum banner

Retired carry curiosity ?????

6K views 77 replies 64 participants last post by  db404 
#1 ·
OK !!
You carried on a regular basis.
Perhaps on an irregular basis.
Now your retired.
No longer exposed to the possibilities that Dodge City can throw at you, on a daily basis, at any given time.
Anything can happen, at any time as we all know, but when your lifestyle goes from "Dodge City' to Flip Flops, Beach and Golf, I'm guessing the carry routine takes a back seat or seizes entirely.
Obviously this isn't directed to the retiree that stays in Dodge City to the bitter end.
But !! When the most dangerous thing in your new life is the mailman cutting across your lawn..........??

#2 ·
Now you do what ever you WANT to do. Don't worry over what any one else would do or wants to do or wants YOU to do.

That's how I been doing it. 9 years now.

For me it means I probably carry more than I ever did before.

#43 ·
I'm not sure there is any area these days where criminals are not on the prowl. If you do things like shop or go out to eat at night, carrying is almost a requirement now. I live in a nice area but over the last 25 years, a bad element has drifted in to do things like shoplift and beg for money. An older person is a target to them just like injured prey is to a predator. The big problem today is drug usage and addicts will hurt anyone to steal something.

#8 ·
People seem to have this mindset that bad things only happen to people stopped at a red light in the bad part of town on a rainy night. The truth is you can find yourself under attack on a sunny Saturday afternoon while tending to your lawn. All it takes is some young dude and his girlfriend walking their dog who let it poop in your freshly manicured grass, then when you have the audacity to complain the guy gets pissed, goes into "look tough in front of the girlfriend" mode and tries to assault you. Evil lurks everywhere, not just in the seedy areas at 3am.

#11 ·
When I graduated high school, I moved to a large city from a small town. 4 days after I moved, a neighbor of mine, came home after a bad day at work and killed his wife & youngest son. He tried to kill his oldest son but the gun malfunctioned. I started carrying a gun soon after that (had to get my pops to buy it & still had the 5 or 7 day "Brady break" waiting period).
In '01, I moved to a small farming community 25 miles from the big city. From then till now, I've had to put down 9 deer that were hit by cars on our highway.
I carry every day plus usually a truck gun too. I believe that I will always have at least the truck gun as my EDC when driving.
Back home, where I grew up, every truck had a double gun rack in the rear window. Always a scoped "deer" rifle on the top & the bottom gun changed depending on the hunting season and application.

#12 ·
I carry a gun when I go grocery shopping.

I carried a gun heavily after my state got shall issue. Then I wasn't driving as much, and rarely left town. It got to the point where I would only strap on a few times a year. Then we were importing jihadis, and had terrorist attack after attack.

I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone shoot me dead whilst shopping for milk. I carry every day.

#16 ·
I am a LEO for 27 years. Will retire at 31 year Mark. In all that time I did not carry 2 days. The first was as a rookie and was told leave the gun at work to stay out of trouble. I went with my girl friend to see a movie. When we arrived the place was shut down. Apparently someone asked a person to stop talking on a cell phone . And a shoot out in the theater started. 4 innocent bystanders were hit. The second time I did not carry was last week . I needed surgery on my back and was in hospital for 4 days. But the 2 police officer friends who picked me up were carrying. When I retire I will carry every day. Even to church.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#21 ·
The carry needs of of a regular civilian vs a law enforcement officer are differant.
A law enforcement officers needs to carry enough gun and ammo to resolve a situation thus protecting the public.
Back up may be awhile coming, which is why most officers go for a long gun when they know they are facing a bad situation.
As for the Armed Civilian, they only need enough gun and ammo to defeat the immediate thread and get out of there to call for help.
A 38 snub with acouple of speed loaders. A Glock 26 with a spare mag.
Something light with decent stopping power.

#22 ·
After 40+ years of carrying 2 pounds on my hip my back says enough. When I retired I settled on a sig 938. Light and thin, but still capable. I carry IWB with a Milt Sparks Vm that goes on with my pants in the morning and stays with me all day. In the winter I usually throw a J frame in the outside pocket of my heavy coat.

These days I'm more likely to run into a rabid fox or coyote then the rabid two legged kind.

Just because you retired doesn't mean you have "victim" tattooed on your forehead,but it is important to stay alert.

#56 ·
You can' get a service dog registered without extensive, expensive training. But getting you animal registered as a emotional support animal is easier however an emotional support animals does not give you access to as many places.

#24 ·
Retired LEO after 21 years. I carry every time I leave the house. Either a Kimber K6s .357 or a CZ Rami 9mm. Everyone that was ever attacked, never knew they were heading into trouble, or they would have avoided it or been armed. Criminals look for those that appear totally obvious and incapable. They never choose a victim that looks aware, confident, and prepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.