1911Forum banner

How do you handle a doctors visit? (the reason why I carry off body)

6K views 68 replies 46 participants last post by  dgludwig 
#1 ·
I have been spending a lot of time the doctors lately. I had an appointment Tuesday afternoon and rather than go naked or leaving my gun (or guns) in my truck I did what I always do and carried off body.

Usually I carry a holstered 1911 along with a revolver (S&W .357 eight shot snubbie) in a Dillon pocket book.

I probably wore out 4 or 5 Dillon's and this one will need to be replaced soon but Dillon does sell them anymore.

The question is a two part one. How do you handle doctors visits. Also what do you suggest I use now that I can't replace the Dillon? It will only last a few more months before it needs to be replaced.

THIS IS ALL THEY HAVE NOW

#3 · (Edited)
It is too small and looks a lot like the one Dillon sells. This other model is nice but I wish it was just a tiny bit larger

I FOUND THIS ON MIDWAYS SITE At $95 it is a bit steep but it is leather and my last longer than the Dillon canvas gun tote.

All suggestions will be appreciated

===================================

EDIT

The thing I like about this one is just like the Dillon you can have your hand touching the gun and if something bad happens you can fire a shot right through the tote bag

#4 ·
#6 ·
If it is worn on the back it is difficult to get to the gun and impossible if you are sitting down

I tried a few methods and even did the fanny pack 20 to 30 years ago when they were popular. I did the Dillon pocketbook style carrier for 10 or 12 years and right now I am leaning towards the Midway leather carrier for $95 but maybe other forum member may have a better idea. Most of the time I carry a 1911 in a shoulder with a revolver in a pocketbook. I will continue to shoulder holster carry the only thing that my change is if I decide to carry off body in a different type of case. That is why I am asking other members what they do.

#5 ·
"Hey, Doc, just want to remind you that I'm a retired police officer and I carry a gun, so don't freak out when you see it."

#7 ·
Even if the doctor is cool the entire building has a no guns sign at every entrance. I carry almost everywhere but there are some buildings with metal detectors and some even have W-RAY scanners like they have in airports

#10 · (Edited)
While perhaps not an idealistic best response, I accept that my carry firearms are not welcome in some places.

I do not like this circumstance, not at all. And as a citizen/voter, I attempt to move matters in the direction intended by the Founding Fathers. Still, in spite of everything, miraculously, despite the gun-ban types (grrrrr), I've survived many decades.

Footnote: I've not personally needed to visit a physician in more than 40 years. But in assisting my parents, I've been in a number of physician and nursing care facilities during recent years. Most of these facilities in Texas have the Texas 30.06 placard on the front door ... So one enters with a firearm only in violation of State law ... I reluctantly follow the law, taking my chances.

Again, not an idealistic answer; FWIW, especially when I am unarmed, I pay a lot of attention to locating myself near an escape door/route. If something goes wrong, I'll be gone ... Quickly.

#12 ·
What is a Dillon pocket book? And why does it wear out so fast? I did google it but got nothing in the search.

#16 ·
Dillon, the company that sells reloading equipment sells a canvas case that I call a pocketbook. I like it because it has a secret gun compartment and there is room for magazines, credit card along with a bunch of other stuff such as a lighter, multi tool, first aid equipment etc. I have been using one for 10 or 12 years, they usually last 2 or three years but I had my dog destroy one that was a few months old. The Dillon was more than just a gun tote it was also a mini survival kit/bug out bag that you can stick your hand inside and hold your gun and no one would know the difference. The sneaky Pete holster that CAPPI posted is a nice idea but I want room to a bunch of stuff.

#15 ·
My doctor isn't that dangerous. I think I can take him with just the knife.

#17 ·
When I visit my doctor for my thrice yearly checkup, I just remove my gun from the OWB holster and hand it to the assistant that runs me over the scale. Weigh-in done, she hands it back to me and I re-holster. Never an eye is blinked.
The doctor is aware that I carry and carries himself. When there is time, we will discuss guns a little. I have a couple of my LGS business cards in my wallet and was pleased to find out he goes there as well.
Florida is a pretty gun friendly state, there are no 30.06 signs around as they are contrary to state law. Private firms have the right to post signs banning guns on their property and I just do not patronize those places. The worst they can do is ask you to leave the premises and you can be charged with trespass if you refuse.

#18 ·
At the bare minimum, I at least make sure that my NAA Magnum Pug is in my pocket. I have made many excuses as to why I have my Colt Devender and 2 spare mags, the NAA, a couple knives etc. I also joke about the "I am the weapon and all that other stuff is just tools. My doctors and all in the office know who I am so I am able to get away with stuff that others may not be able to.

#68 ·
Close to my thought reading this thread. If I were to walk around with a man-bag then I would need to be armed going to the doctor.

Going to the doctor carrying in a pocket holster or exterior concealed shouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't against the law where you live. I've been to the doctor carrying and he or his staff never knew. Unless you have to undress if you are carrying concealed correctly I wouldn't think anyone would ever know. They haven't in my case.

Now if you routinely carry a .50 Barrett, then it might be a little tough.

#20 ·
As far as finding another doctor, my take is finding a good doctor is more important than being armed during the time you need to see him. You probably have a better chance of a hazard from a bad doctor than getting in a shooting. But each of us should be able to choose which risks they want to take.

#21 ·
Thats what I said in post #14. When I first got to SC I wound up seeing a doctor that probably would have killed me. I am now going to a good doctor and have no intention of changing doctors, what I do want is suggestions of what to replace my Dillon pocketbook/purse/tote bag when it wears out.

#24 · (Edited)
You've integrated the Dillon planner style into your routine. Why not get another?

They still show them on their site. https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-plan-b-day-planner_8_14_23863.html

Or get the Galco. Before anyone had a product like this, I made my own from a real Daytimer about 35 years ago. The downside of these is the zipper, which is slow to open. My ideal vision of one of these would have hard edges that closed inside one another and a single strap with a snap.

Another more active looking rig... http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...QjaSVJYufEY6wIfn34w7GUOCkzqWPjjO04aAjTv8P8HAQ

The maker above website with more options for CCW http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CCW-Compatible-c75.htm

#28 · (Edited)
Dillon made two versions, the small planner, and the larger tote which is the size of an brief case. The tote has a few more months of life left in her before it wears out and Dillon stopped selling them.

My Dillon tote is more that a device to carry a gun. I keep my money and credit cards, a Firestarter and disposable lighter, first aid stuff and other items. When it comes time to replace the Dillon I want something that can carry a 4.25 inch 1911 if necessary, but I usually carry a S&W .357 eight shot revolver

So far the $95 Midway tote in post #3 is a good replacement but it is a bit too fancy and expensive.

==========================================================

I just remembered that I bought one of Dillon small planners over 10 years ago and only used it a couple times because it was too small to carry everything I needed or wanted to carry.

#25 ·
We are retired. When I go to the doctor, my wife carries two guns, her Sig P938 9mm and my 1911. When my wife goes to the doctor, I am carrying two guns, my 1911 and my Sig P938 pocket BUG.

#26 ·
The question is a two part one. How do you handle doctors visits. Also what do you suggest I use now that I can't replace the Dillon? It will only last a few more months before it needs to be replaced.
What I do is use my everyday holsters. This means selecting a holster for EDC suitable for mounting / dismounting as needed: the Milt Sparks' "Criterion" most used and a Comp-Tac "Infidel" 2nd most. Holster determined by plans requiring mount&dismount: the "Criterion" more comfortable and secure; the "Infidel" easier & more discrete to mount/dismount. While driving I don't want to -wear- my holster: the pistol is too awkward to access and I frequently drive through a highly road-rage prone area. So holster is put in the car dismounted; I open both driver-side doors and use them as screens to re-mount.

For a doctor visit the holster goes in an accessible, dedicated compartment of my briefcase so when I strip off to the required degree I'm not providing a non-verbal answer to the question "Do you own any guns?" Nurses etc. sometimes say "You can leave your briefcase here.", referring to the exam room ... somehow I don't ever hear that.

#29 ·
I am going to hijack my own thread. The reason what I always carry a tote and sometimes use it to carry a second gun is that I like to be prepared.

How many people carry first aid items, fire starters, knives. compass and other items. I consider it to be a mini bug out bag.

When I asked the original question about off body carry I should have mentioned that In addition to using my pocket book to carry a gun it also has items like energy bars spare magazines and clips. I guess I should have made it clear that in addition to carrying a gun I want room for other stuff.

#32 ·
Except for the energy bars, all that. And instead of energy bars: three tablets; chargers; cables; batteries; pens; flashlights; two SATA drives as off-site backups; sheet music; spare spectacles; sun glasses; ear buds... oh my ... too much. Concrete had to be pretty old and well cured or I leave footprints j -;

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I was joking once at work about how nice it would be if men carried purses so I couldn't carry a pistol, first aid kit, etc. My next birthday, the guys chipped in and bought me a woman's purse. :)

But back to the original question, I just leave my gun in the vehicle when I go into the doctor's office. Of course some folks will flame me for leaving a gun in the truck, but to me it's the best option.

#38 ·
Exactly, I carry my 1911 in a holster and sometimes (like when I visit a doctor I leave the 911 home and carry a .357 revolver on my pocket book). But I always like to be prepared and carry other items such as first aid stuff. By the way I also carry a fire extinguisher in my truck.

#41 ·
I have been doing it for approximately 15 years. In the beginning I didn't carry my gun or other valuables in my pocketbook until I became comfortable that I would not leave it behind, and as a matter of fact the first week or so I did wind up putting it down when I was looking a riding lawn mowers. I was about 100 feet away when I realized I messed up. I continued carrying the pocketbook without the gun for a month and I never put it down or walking away from it for 15 years.

Women seem to be able to remember to not misplace it so why shouldn't men be able to do it?Sometimes I holster carry and carry the pocketbook without the gun.
Other times I carry in my holster and pocketbook.
If if it isn't possible to carry in a holster (in my doctors office) I leave the 1911 home and carry the revolver in my pocketbook

#42 ·
I guess I'm lucky....my doc is a big-game hunter transplanted from Alaska to Az....he loves guns and doesn't give a damn if I bring one into the room....he asks to see whatever I have...LOL....just get a PRO-GUN doc and don't worry about it.

#44 ·
I had this issue when I was going to the chiropractor regularly... I got tired of taking off my IWB holster and securing the gun in my truck. Finally, I asked him his views on the 2A and CCW. Turns out he is totally in favor. So, thereafter.... I'd just unholster the gun and put it in my folded up shirt in the room. I know he was crazy curious to see it, but I never showed him. Just told him what I carried. He confided that he had a 12 ga. in the office and one in his trunk. Heck of a Doc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.