1911Forum banner

Man at Dunkin' Donuts Accidentally Drops CCW Gun, It Fires, Hits Woman Customer

11K views 75 replies 50 participants last post by  lowball 
#1 ·
Then he runs out. :(

He later turned himself in with his attorney at the police station. He does have a CCW license. Claims his gun dropped out of his clothes.

He was charged with a misdemeanor culpable negligence.

Several things come to mind... he need a real conceal holster that retains his gun, a gun that doesn't discharge if it's dropped from 3 or 4 feet, and he needs to learn to own up, render aid and stay put at the scene and wait for the cops. Failure to render aid and wait for police I think is going to open himself up for a whopping lawsuit. He was concerned more with himself than the well being of an innocent person he accidentally injured.

http://www.local10.com/news/crime/m...in-donuts-accidentally-drops-gun-shoots-woman

Barroso told police that the discharge of the weapon was unintentional. Police said Barroso possesses a concealed carry permit and does not have a criminal arrest record.

Barroso was arrested for culpable negligence and booked at the Broward County Jail with $500 bail, police said.

#47 ·
My guess was that it was a Taurus, or something along those lines. Taurus is notorious for drop discharges. If so, he is not only guilty of ND but really poor taste in firearms.

#51 ·
You should at minimum have an umbrella policy of at least $1,000,000 on your homeowners
You should remember only Ted Kennedy can drown someone, run, sleep and then get an attorney, and be re elected many times after that.
Any 70 Series type pistol will fire if dropped on the muzzle. Safety can be on or off. If on the safety can shear and slide can function to strip and load another round. Proved enough times ...........

#60 ·
Any 70 Series type pistol will fire if dropped on the muzzle. Safety can be on or off. If on the safety can shear and slide can function to strip and load another round. Proved enough times ...........
If it's dropped straight on the muzzle the muzzle will depress and not let the gin fire. And if the grip safety isn't engaged, how does it still fire? I call bs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#56 ·
It's only a misdemeanor and those often get a "withhold of adjudication" if the person has no prior record and keeps clean, might get some sort of community service. Chances are he will keep his CCW license and perhaps learn a lesson he'll never forget when he has to pay his legal bills.

#58 ·
This is why us CCW people must always wear the gun in a secure holster, close to our bodies. We must "feel" that the gun is there at all times until it is unholstered. Of course for most us, this will never happen in our life time, out in the public. The only times the gun is "free" for me is when it is at the range or being cleaned at home. Otherwise, my carry gun stays in a nice shark leather holster. No exceptions. This guy should not carry guns any more.

#59 ·
I've dropped a handgun a couple of times over the years. Always on a carpeted or wooden floor though, so no damage to the firearm. The instinct is to grab for the gun to catch it before it hits, but I have always been able to consciously stop myself from doing this since the act of trying to catch usually ends up with the person touching the trigger and causing it to fire. It's always a "hold your breath moment" though. You know that it is not *supposed* to fire, but you always have that doubt in the back of your mind that *maybe this time* would be the exception.

As we get older, our sense of touch seems to get less sensitive, so we drop things more. Combine that with other dexterity issues from arthritis and such and maybe we should all be a bit more concerned that we could also end up dropping our handgun, but hopefully not in public. These days, I usually carry in an OWB kydex paddle holster and as such, I don't *have* to remove the gun from the holster when I'm taking it off my pants at night. Since the trigger is covered, even if I did drop it while it was in the holster and made the mistake of trying to catch it, I would not be able to touch the trigger. Still, the best option is to jump backwards and let it land as it may. The closer you are to it, the more chance that if it does fire, it will hit you.

#67 · (Edited)
Drop a gun and catch it and very often a finger is in the trigger guard and the muzzle is pointed at your stomach. Just sayin.

And people put guns in a holster, then try to wrestle it onto themselves? I always got the holster where I wanted it then added the carry gear. Nice point about the trigger being covered if you drop the holster with a gun in it

#70 ·
With a Kydex type OWB paddle holster, yeah, I often do it that way.

With a holster that threads into a belt, I put the gun in it after the holster has been threaded onto the belt and the belt attached around my waist.

#68 ·
I'm lucky to have never dropped a gun. However, when I was 15 I leaned my (unloaded) 9422 in a corner of a cabin. Somebody bumped it and it came clattering down to the floor. I was SO bummed! Never again have I done something like that.

Now I HAVE dropped at donut shops. Usually a few bucks for a dozen.

#69 ·
Must have been either a very old gun, a defective gun or had a mechanical defect. Guns made in the last several years have been "drop safe."
You would think so. But I have a brother who, according to him, a couple of years ago foolishly placed an uncocked, 2-shot derringer (a well-known make), chambered in .38 Special in the upper pocket of his shirt and carried it around his home that day (he lives alone). When he bent over to tie his shoe, the gun fell from his pocket and discharged, narrowly missing him. He called me later that day, still thoroughly shaken by the incident, to ask me if I knew what might have happened.

Like you, I had just assumed that all "modern" firearms were "drop safe", but, I can assure you, they are not. I also had believed that for a gun to discharge from a drop it would have to fall from a greater height than a couple of feet or so. It does not. He did get a bawling out from his (much) older brother and a lesson in gun safety. He was very lucky indeed and I'm so thankful that the bullet missed him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.