1911Forum banner

Man at Dunkin' Donuts Accidentally Drops CCW Gun, It Fires, Hits Woman Customer

11K views 75 replies 50 participants last post by  lowball 
#1 ·
Then he runs out. :(

He later turned himself in with his attorney at the police station. He does have a CCW license. Claims his gun dropped out of his clothes.

He was charged with a misdemeanor culpable negligence.

Several things come to mind... he need a real conceal holster that retains his gun, a gun that doesn't discharge if it's dropped from 3 or 4 feet, and he needs to learn to own up, render aid and stay put at the scene and wait for the cops. Failure to render aid and wait for police I think is going to open himself up for a whopping lawsuit. He was concerned more with himself than the well being of an innocent person he accidentally injured.

http://www.local10.com/news/crime/m...in-donuts-accidentally-drops-gun-shoots-woman

Barroso told police that the discharge of the weapon was unintentional. Police said Barroso possesses a concealed carry permit and does not have a criminal arrest record.

Barroso was arrested for culpable negligence and booked at the Broward County Jail with $500 bail, police said.

#5 ·
I bet had he remained on the scene, no charges would have been filed.

Yes, he is guilty of negligent injury and will bear financial duty to the lady but his homeowners coverage will take care of any legal filings.

#7 ·
I think this tale is somewhat light on information... the vast bulk of carry type guns made in the last 30+ years are 'drop' safe...

Unless the gun was very old, very cheap, or somehow modified or altered, this story doesn't quite add up....

#9 ·
I don't even need to read the link to call BS.
Here's my theory. Pocket carry, no holster. Gun either went off from his pocket or fell out and as he tried to catch it he grabbed in a way to make it fire a round. The discharging round freaked him out and it fell on the floor.
Happened so fast by the time everyone turned around after the bang the gun was on the floor so it's easy for him to blame the drop on making it go off. Not even a Jennings or Lorcin will fire if dropped.

#13 ·
Thanks for that.

Frankly that is one of the reason I would never carry a weapon that has been modified for competition or in anyway modified for lower trigger pull.

Especially striker based guns. Everything I carry is in the OEM state.

You open yourself to negligence if the work isn't done correctly or if the work done on the firing mechanism leads to injury.

I have also found this story unusual that a gun ignited from a drop from a pocket. That can't possibly be more than 36 inches from the a coat pocket or the waist.

I have dropped two loaded guns in the past 10 years and nothing happened. It was at my home and it scare the living dickens out of me. But nothing happened other than to scratch the Black anodized scandium frame on one of my S&W revolvers which was repaired with Casey-Birchwood Aluminum Black in 5 seconds.

#14 ·
Had a similar incident, within my memory, in Kingwood-a bedroom suburb of Houston. Older gent was the carrier, pocket, gun was a traditional-design 2-shot derringer. Don't remember caliber. Location was a sit-down restaurant, a woman was hit and took quite a while to recover.

#19 ·
I will guarantee this----the poor idiot will be losing whatever financial assets he has or will have in the future. Even if he does not get any jail time he will be sued and hopefully the victim will "get his last clean pair of drawers" as my lawyer friends sometimes say after a few libations.

#28 ·
Coward.

#33 ·
The liability part of homeowners insurance generally covers the policy holder and members of their household for negligent damage both at home and away--up to the limit of coverage, often $100,000. As I am too old to recover and cannot afford to lose what I have accumulated in life, I increased my liability coverage to $1,000,000. These days, $100,000 doesn't provide sufficient protection, and $1,000,000 may not.

#36 ·
Series's 70, 1 in the tube, hammer down. Dropped on the hammer? One of the guys I shoot IDPA with was at home getting ready for a match. He had a loaded Glock that he put into a fits all holster. As he fumbled to put on the holster the gun slid out of the holster. As it fell, he was bear foot , he made one of those moves where you move your hips back and your upper body archs forward. Gun landed on the grip and the back of the slide. It discharged hitting him just below his right clavicle then exited out of the back of the sholder just missing his main artery. He had changed the transfer bar. Glock took the gun back to inspect it. Glock replaced the gun and paid most of the cost for the helicopter ride and medical expenses. He sead he will only buy holsters made to fit the gun that provides some tension.

#38 · (Edited)
You're gonna have to explain to the class how the inertia of being dropped got around the flipper safety lever on the trigger. I've seen Glocks dropped from helos and not go off. Transfer bar exchange would still not affect that basic built in safety. Fishy it smells.....
Hope he healed up well.

This guy is nuts for doing it as he stands right next to it. Also muzzles his foot casually while it's loaded. But it gets the point across.

https://youtu.be/cRSmkPtbp60

#37 ·
So let's retrieve said dropped gun, load it and throw it hard into a steel drum to try to repeat the dropfire. ? I think I just invented a new word. :)

I'm just glad my Glock 26 didn't go off when I accidentally fumbled it. Crap happens. It did however move the sight to the right which is now exactly where I needed it to be. :D

#39 ·
There is NO WAY a Glock discharged being dropped, without someone/something pulling the trigger. Most negligent discharges involve pulling the trigger, and on a Glock, that is the only way it can happen. It will be interesting to find out what type of gun was involved in this.

#40 ·
I carry but not with a round in the chamber. If i need to pull the gun i can rack and shoot in about 3 to 5 seconds and have not yet found a situation i did not see coming. Carry with one in the hole just makes it easy for another to use it against you, only you know so you buy time.

#44 · (Edited)
3-5 seconds is an ETERNITY when you're life depends on it.
Not to sidetrack the thread but I'm curious how long you've been carrying for and what makes you think both hands will still be available when needed? Crap happens when YOU least expect it. Unless you're Spider-Man you cannot sense all impending danger and will always be reacting to the bad guys action. Any and all stats you'll find will show most SD situations occur at very close distances. Are you not comfortable enough in things that you feel you'll be able to retain your weapon? Clear, draw, level muzzle on target and bang ONE HANDED while you're using your other hand to fan away his bad breath it'll be that close.

Watch this >>>> https://youtu.be/rVPiic-ELoM

Please rethink that and put one in the pipe.

#46 ·
Something about the story just doesn't add up. I'm going with finger on the trigger, accidental or not. I've handled a few thousand guns and shot many of them. I've accidentally dropped a few and never, ever had one go off. Don't get me wrong, I do flinch, lean back, put my hands up by my face etc. when they fall, like when the 870 fell 20 feet out of my tree stand, but again, none of them ever went off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.