1911Forum banner

Anyone here choose NOT to EDC a firearm??

11K views 119 replies 78 participants last post by  Oldfut808 
#1 · (Edited)
If so, why?

The reason I ask is...I ran into a gentleman at the gun club who admittedly LOVE guns, but when I asked him what was his choice for EDC, he replied "None...I dont carry." I didn't ask him why, and it bugged me all the way home.

So just curious if anyone here is in the same camp.

#34 ·
I carry 24/7 365 because I can and because it's my right....no, my duty as an American to defend myself and those around me that may not be able to defend themselves. Fortunately living in Iowa I have those rights.

#70 ·
+1, I would say that easy purchasing was the most attractive reason for me.
But there are times when I realize I will be safer going some places, now that I can now carry legally. Here in Florida dressed sensibly for the heat, there isn't room for much more than a mouse gun. I miss big coat pockets.

#36 ·
Well I think I can answer the ops question in two parts..

1) I have not carried on a regular basis in over a year after carrying a 1911 for the last 10 years. I hate the weight. Cant stand carrying anything over 40 oz. anymore. I have sold every lightweight polymer gun I have purchased at losses because they did just not appeal to me in any way. But I need to exercise my right and I think I have found the answer, im just going single stack 9mm polymer and have a XDS 4.0 inbound. luckily a friend has one and I was able to test it for a day and cant believe how nice these or any polymer single stack feels, like its not there. So my dilemma to not carrying is purely a kit issue.

2) My company like many others have stated prohibits firearms on their property. I work as a Insurance Adjuster and am on the road all day. I go into some really suspect neighborhoods and feel really naked without a gun. The property extends to our company vehicles but....My supervisor has stated basically do what you need to do, we have a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding firearms in vehicles. So I took the hint and have pretty much come to the conclusion better to be alive but jobless if something happens? Good news also is my company is based out of Nashville TN and I have met every superior, supervisor up to the Co. President and they are the biggest bunch of good ol' boys and girls anywhere. If they don't have a gun in their hand they probably have a fishing pole in it :rock:

#37 ·
When I finally got my CPL, I made a decision to carry everywhere I could. This was so I would become use to it. Now I feel weird without it.

When I was a paramedic in Detroit, we were not officially allowed to carry but it was "understood" that you could. I refused to because it changed your thinking from being wary, careful, and helpful to just a tad over the line of aggressive. I saw many who should have just waited for PD walk into situations and get hurt.

I always let PD take care of security and kept a careful eye out as well. It worked well. If I didn't like what I saw, I left until PD secured the area.

#41 ·
When I was a paramedic in Detroit, we were not officially allowed to carry but it was "understood" that you could. I refused to because it changed your thinking from being wary, careful, and helpful to just a tad over the line of aggressive. I saw many who should have just waited for PD walk into situations and get hurt.
Interesting dynamic and mindset.... I've found just the opposite to be generally true: in my experience, those that carry for personal protection tend to be more caution, more careful, more restrained in their words and actions while in public spaces, more even tempared and level headed... less aggressive.

#38 ·
I work in a federal building so I can't carry inside. I carry 99% of the time when not at work and feel weird if I leave the house and I'm not. After over 10 years it's like second nature and I've cared less and less about making sure I don't print. Probably should because I don't want to be a target but from my experience people are clueless either way.

#39 ·
I must have been one of the lucky ones, because I was able to carry all day, everyday at work. My boss knew I carried and had no issue with it.
Now that I am retired, I carry all day, everyday. We live in troubling times, and I plan on being able to get myself, and my Family out of harms way if need be.

I realize the original question was regarding carrying if legal to, but thought I would give my experiences.

#42 · (Edited)
I feel for those that are prohibited from carrying at work. I'm fortunate that I run my own business so I make the rules!! I have no criticism of those that can carry but choose to not do it. It is everyone's choice but many years ago when I first got my CCW (CDWL Concealed Deadly Weapons License in KY), I decided if I was going to carry it would be every day all the time. I wanted it to be second nature to have a gun on my person, and it has. I feel very uncomfortable now without it, like I'm only half dressed or something. In KY our license allows any type of deadly weapon except for fully automatic guns so when I have to go into a firearm prohibited establishment I make sure I have some other form of deadly weapon on me!

#46 ·
....no, my duty as an American to defend myself and those around me that may not be able to defend themselves.
You may want to rethink this attitude. It is NOT your "duty" to protect other people. If that's what you think, you shouldn't be carrying, or you should join a professional police agency.

It is your right to carry a gun, as allowed by your state laws, for self protection. That DOES NOT confer or extrapolate into duty to protect other people. Sorry Mr. Handgun, you're NOT the sheepdog looking after the sheeple. If that's what you think - leave your guns at home.

I never carry at home. People seem to conflate carrying a pistol with home security. Carrying a gun is NOT security - it is self defense, and you shouldn't infer that it is security. If your house cannot be secured - then that's what you need to work on and stop thinking you're secure simply because you have a gun.

Your gun is a response tactic to a security breach - and you should know when your home security has been compromised. Pulling a gun in response to an unknown threat is just bad security.

If you think your house is a potential war zone, then you need to rethink your home security and quit making the assumption that you can always defend yourself with your gun. That's not a smart security strategy.

As for carrying a gun everywhere I go, I always have one or more, in my truck IF I'm not going to a federal facility. Sometimes I carry a gun on my person other times not, again, depending upon where I'm going. You really do not have a 100% probability of a threat that requires a response everywhere you go.

If you do threat and vulnerability analysis of where you're going, you'd find that you are not 100% vulnerable all of time; and that, threats are often, non-existent. In those cases, carrying a gun is just a placebo for you - you're doing it simply because it makes you feel better.

That's okay, but don't infer that others are delusional about threats being everywhere all of time simply because they choose to not carry on their person 24/7.

#52 ·
You know I didn't take what he said the same way you did at all. I just assumed that he was refering to his family and or friends that he might be traveling or moving around with at the time. Even if that wasn't the case, it brings up one of the other reasons I chose not to EDC. I was an EMT and got a great deal of satisfaction out of being available to render aid to anyone sick or injured around me 24/7 365. That was my way of being what you refered to as a "sheepdog." There is nothing wrong with being a "sheepdog!" I am not saying that you should go looking for trouble but if trouble comes you can and should do what you reasonably can do to mitigate it. I am not sure that I was wrong then or he is wrong now. I would not accept your calling me out for what I did and I would not have called him out the way you did without asking a few more questions about his attitude and what he thought of as his duty. I am also not sure that you were wrong either but coming from a career in EMS/healthcare and having a different kind of "sheepdog" mentality I just see things differently. Just my .02

#50 ·
I am disgusted to say that the place I work and have carried the past 10 years just went full commie and introduce a no firearm policy. I have been sending out resumes and looking for another job since I found out. I wanted to leave immediately, but need to keep a paycheck until I find somewhere to move on to. In the meantime, concealed is just that, and they ain't gonna spring for a metal detector. The heck with those liberal safe space pansies! They can go hug stuffed animals when the feces hits the fan... I'll be elsewhere!

#51 ·
I, agree with Johnny handgun, even at the risk of annoying buckhorn_cortez.

I feel a responsibility to others. Whether or not I HAVE that responsibility is another topic, as are the practicality & personal risk of acting on that responsibility.

But I feel this very strongly. And I will act on it if needed, per my assessment of the situation.

I think a world full of people with my (& Johnny's) opinion on this would be a far better place. Better than our current world of the "I don't want to get involved" attitude.

So either you are a run-into-the-burning-building type person or you are not.

And there's not a set Right or Wrong way to be on this. Other than, I suppose, jumping into the fray when your heart's not in it, or not helping when you feel the obligation to.

#53 ·
I'm lucky enough to work from home (own my own business) and in Washington state we can open or conceal carry in our home without "permission" from the state. We live far out in the hills, and have had the occasional shady individual come driving up obviously looking for a house to burgle. Having two large dogs minimizes the danger, but it's nice to have a backup.

I'm still getting used to carrying – working on finding a good IWB holster, but the OWB works great, and that's just fine for out here. I have not decided how much I will carry beyond the home/office once my Concealed Pistol License (CPL) arrives.

#58 ·
I'll go in if it's my family. They are my priority and reason for being here.

If I can safely help another, I will. However, if chances are that I will die, the risk to my family is too great.

If a gun fight erupts, then I will be shooting to save myself for my family. If I save another, non-family person's life in the process, that's a bonus.

I have a wife, an 8-year-old son, and a 3-year-old daughter. Vance needs guidance of a father and Belle... she's lived on Daddy's lap since Day 1 when she was born via c-section following a car accident. I went back to the room with her and April went to recovery. I zipped Belle up against me in my coat and we went to sleep.

She lived there for the next 6mos unless I was at the shop or unless she was eating.

After she got too big, she continued to follow Daddy and emulate me. If she gets hurt or has a nightmare, she wants me.

This is a larger responsibility than to myself.

Even if I didn't like carrying, I'd carry because I'll be damned if some meth head punk will cause my children to be without a daddy, or my wife, whom I grew up with, to be without a husband.

That is my motivation.

I will not save you if you do not have a gun and need one. I'll not borrow your trouble to risk my life. It's your own responsibility to make sure you go home to your family at the end of the day. This is the guideline for cops and private citizens alike.

If you are not carrying a gun and are not prohibited from doing so, then you are one reason criminals still deem it an acceptable risk to try to prey on people like me, and are therefore a liability to society.

This of course excepts those who cannot carry due to employment etc. I'm sure you carry elsewhere.

If you have a house fire and don't have an extinguisher, I'll not use mine to save your house unless the fire threatens my house. Then I'll be acting to save my own and if I save yours, it's incidental.

Josh

#62 ·
I will help people when they need it. I also think it is my duty to help, even if I it costs me. Some years ago I testified about an incident that I happen to see, it involved me losing a day of work, and traveling four hours one way. The cops where surprised, and very thankful, that someone would be a witness. The guy would have not been found guilty except for my testimony. I was concerned about my safety and the safety of my family, because it involved, drugs, guns,and murder. It also could have been two trials,if the other guy in the car would not have made a plea bargain. The point is if we don't get involved,the bad guys get away to do it over and over again. Wimpy

#67 ·
Soldiers & cops all have family that will miss them, but still survive, if they are killed protecting the greater good.

That's a given for those who choose to do the job. There is no draft. They volunteer.

I don't volunteer on that level. But because I carry I'm in a position to step up if needed. & I will. Like how my automotive knowledge puts me in a position of being to help more people too, & I do so.

But on the defense of others, I won't hold my need to come home to my family as superior to those that take risks in their jobs.

We all have people. And whomever needs help has them too.

#68 ·
I used to have the same attitude.

Then I got in a gunfight.

Since then, my thinking slowly changed. Today's outlook came when I had children.

If there is a good guy -- cop, armed citizen -- obviously out-gunned but doing his best, I won't be able to sit back and watch. Likewise a kid or anyone obviously unable to defend himself.

(You must keep in mind that if you assist an officer or armed citizen, he will only know that there's another gun at play. He will not know immediately that you're not shooting at him.

You will draw fire from both sides.)

However, if there is an able-bodied, full-grown adult who chooses not to take responsibility for his or her own life, there is no reason for me to take that responsibility on to myself.

Knowing myself, I may have to. I'd like to think I'd be a good witness, though.

I would not want anyone to get shot coming to my aid, especially if that person had kids.

CPR or putting out a fire is a completely different thing and the analogy was a poor one. I shouldn't have continued it.

Regards,

Josh

#71 ·
I carry every where I can. I am not allowed to at work but keep one in the car when I get off at night. I will always be prepared.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

#73 ·
I can't carry at work (fed site), even tho I can outshoot all the armed officers I work with, lol.

Outside of work, I often choose not to carry because I'm planning to have more than a couple drinks, or because I just don't feel like screwing around with it. in 55 years of life, I have not yet been in a situation where I might need to be armed. Yeah, you never know, but I'm good at math, so I tend not to freak out too much.

I do tend to carry more in situations where I am more vulnerable, such as walking around downtown, or traveling in the car, but mostly I just carry when I feel like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.