1911Forum banner

Anyone here choose NOT to EDC a firearm??

11K views 119 replies 78 participants last post by  Oldfut808 
#1 · (Edited)
If so, why?

The reason I ask is...I ran into a gentleman at the gun club who admittedly LOVE guns, but when I asked him what was his choice for EDC, he replied "None...I dont carry." I didn't ask him why, and it bugged me all the way home.

So just curious if anyone here is in the same camp.

#3 ·
I don't regularly carry. There, I said it! First step is admitting the problem right? While I carried quite often when I was living in Va. I'm in NC now and at one of the universities. While I realize that everything I'm going to say is an excuse, there are just too many places I need to be that prohibit carrying. As far as colleges go, I'm sure plenty of people do carry regardless of laws but the stakes of doing so are just too high to gamble for me.

#66 · (Edited)
Although I understand where you are

with the "Carry" dilemma..I find myself not worrying about it and just carrying at all times. I will make an adjustment if I feel I need to be more concealed....(I might add that I will not try and fool a Metal Detector) Such as I will carry a pocket Colt 25, which I feel is quite a large bit better than a pocket knife if it comes to some idiot yelling "Allah Akbar" and pulling out a Glock 17.....At least I am not defenseless.....I really think in the end I'd rather be judged for carrying inappropriately than being unarmed when I might have made a difference.
Here's hoping I will never have to make that "difference".
A small additional note....I'm finally quite tired of being ordered around by Morons.

#5 ·
I am driving daily and driving in a third world country is no fun. Every one has the right of way and insulting our mothers is a daily thing(some are more creative than others) so I do not carry every day.
Every now and then I encounter an Idiot whom I would love to unload a magazine to. This is the reason why I do not carry every day.

I carry twice a week when I go to rural areas where I have experience of Attempted robbery.

#6 ·
I work on a Federal military reservation, so from the time I leave the house until I get home, no guns- until I can find an 'arming authority' with the stones to sign a memo authorizing me ti carry on post....

Its not a choice, so much as the repercussions and consequences if caught...

#7 ·
I choose not to carry

I am currently living in an independent living facility and am forbidden to keep a weapon on the premises so I don't carry because it would be difficult to impossible to get permission to have a weapon on the premises and I don't want to go through the hassle and especially because I don't consider it that important to EDC so it is also a choice not to carry. I realize that I run the risk of possibly wanting or needing a weapon to deal with a situation but consider it an acceptable risk. I also realize that in a situation that I might want or need a weapon to deal with a situation there might be other options that I could use or I might die but that is an outcome I am willing to accept because I firmly believe that when your time is up there is nothing you can do to change it because the man upstairs has made his decision. You may consider my logic wrong but that is the way I feel.

#10 ·
When the penalty for getting caught is losing ones home, or a felony charge, loss of employment, and loss of almost 3 decades of pension... does the risk justify the benefits?

#14 ·
Imagine if someone cuts you off and then he has the nerve to insult you and call your mother names.

You try to avoid him, go on your different way but the guy is doing some brake check ( he would accelerate and suddenly depress on the brake pedal).

I am sure you will tell me about the 4 gun rules but maybe one of these days, you will encounter the biggest fight picking idiot ever.

Now there are areas that not bringing a gun is a height of folly.

I have a swine farm and my neighbor is a simple man, he grows goats. he sold one for 80$ and some prick thought he could just get it from the old man. so he killed my neighbor for just 80$.

So on the days that I go to a rural area, I bring a gun.

ALso bought a shotgun too

#20 ·
It's interesting how our different living conditions, and how we see them, influence whether we carry or not.

You said you carry when you go rural.

I live in a rural town of 900 people. If I'm running around town (Quik Stop---local park to walk my dog---drop off a letter in the PO street-side mail box, etc.), I very seldom carry.

On the flip side, I live 30 miles between two towns of +/- 30K. Whenever I head in their direction, I'm always packin'.

Different strokes for different folks.;)

#16 ·
would 24/7 if I could. We fought for the right to carry at work, but were turned down this last year. Instead, they put up No Carry signs so at least we have a forcefield protecting us.

The penalty for breaking the rule is not felony, but it is being fired and never working in my preferred field again. Since I provide for my family, the results would be very detrimental.

We did win the ability to carry in our cars, and I can park 5 feet from my desk. so it's not all bad

#17 · (Edited)
Interesting that our 2nd Amendment right is so infringed by the rules/laws of various places we work/visit. Where I used to work I would have liked to carry-especially to/from the parking lot. But Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My company prohibited us from carrying and leaving the gun in the car was too big a risk.

We have alot of work to do!

#22 ·
I'm fortunate in that my family owns the company I work for, and they gently insist that I carry every day regardless of my own affinity to do so. We regularly collect monies upwards of 20k, so having 4 people armed around the place is the norm.

I sometimes do not carry when out and about, but usually do. If I'm running to the school, I keep it in my car, not on my hip.

#23 ·
The better question is: If you CAN carry, But choose not to, what is your reason?

Because work/law reasons need no explanation.

My buddy says he can't carry because he knows he's too much of a hothead---- Know thyself!

Others probably make a hassle vs risk assessment when choosing. But I cannot speak for them.

Myself, I have carried every day after my CCW was issued.

#24 ·
OP asked a different question than most answers were provided for. We all have situations when we can't carry. I read the original question as about gun owners who choose not to carry.

#25 ·
OP asked a different question than most answers were provided for. We all have situations when we can't carry. I read the original question as about gun owners who choose not to carry.

#79 ·
We all have situations when we can't carry.
Yep. I can't carry at the Post Office or in any Federal building or most Federal property. Same for state and city buildings and any "educational institution" property. Plus, signs have the force of law in my state, though the only ones I've encountered so far have been at the two major local hospitals and some of their affiliated clinics.

What makes it maybe once every month or two I have to disarm in order to transact some business I can't handle by mail or phone. Otherwise, the gun goes on in the morning when I get dressed and stays there until I get undressed at night. I don't see any sense in arming/disarming every time I leave or return to the house.

However, the right to keep and bear arms also includes the right NOT to keep or bear arms, and I fully support the people who choose that, too. I don't have to justify what I do, and neither do they.

#26 · (Edited)
When I lived in a "prudent person" state ...

... I had at least one foot in that camp and -rarely- carried. The logic applied was flawed by legislative intent. If I felt my activities warranted carrying, then LE, prosecutor, judge and jurors could regard as inherently imprudent my activities: e.g. attending "Shakespeare-on-the-Green" -even- knowing about reports of [rare] muggings commited between blanket and port-a-potty. That risk also coerced non-ideal choice of side-arm: small enough to be *extra* discrete plus other non-optimal characteristics.

Upon moving to a "shall issue" state, this logic was quickly destroyed by the instructor in my CCW class. He put himself in our DA's role and asked -me- specifically (out of the entire class):

He: Why were you carrying -that- day?
Me: Because I knew [taking the family to Shakespeare-on-the-Green] was risky
He: <doing a credible impression of our hysterically anti-2A DA>
So you *wanted* to shoot somebody that day!!
He: <as himself>
You want to be able to answer "Because I carry every day."

So far 16 years, carrying everyday except for a 2-day visit to Chicago ) -; Here the threats have been more frequently associated with road rage than with mugging.

#99 · (Edited)
I live in one of the "most violent cities in the country" (as much as I beg to differ). I do have my CCL. Given that, up until then I had never even carried a knife. I really have no fear of ever needing to have a means of defense. Sometimes I carry. Sometimes I don't. it doesn't bother me either way. I also have many friends (CCL) whom got their cards and to this day have never carried a gun. Again, it doesn't bother me at all one way or the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.