1911Forum banner

Fullsize carry

6K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  NightWolf 
#1 ·
I carry a fullsize 1911 in a Galco OWB on the hip with a leather Crossbreed gunbelt. This isn't concealed carry, but it is mostly covered by an untucked shirt. The weight doesn't bother me one bit. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that doesn't have a problem with guns printing or being exposed, but I still try to keep my level of carry discrete.
The way so many people talk, I should be very uncomfortable with the weight of a fullsize. I actually feel like my holster, along with the 1911s geometry make EDC very doable in my state. I'm wondering how many people carry fullsize 1911 in a similar fashion? Or am I in an small number that qualifies as the exception?

#35 ·
I have never had a bit of discomfort carrying a 5" steel 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special or VM2.

But I also know that some people are blessed in that not much bothers them.

Others would be horrendously discomforted by the same things to which I pay no attention.

That said, I can't STAND a runny nose or a headache. They make me go all whiney.

Different things bother different people.

#36 · (Edited)
Concealed carry and weapons....

What I carried today. 90+ and humid as hell.
Do you have some type of "high risk" job that makes you feel the need for so many weapons to be carried on your person....? :scratch:

Do you ever shoot IDPA at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol club in east Orlando....? It is a good way to shoot some of your weapons by using cover in "mock" self defense scenarios.

When I worked a high risk job, I carried a double stack STI Eagle .40 with fifteen rounds in the gun with two spare 17 round mags, a Kel Tec Pf-9 in an ankle holster, a 3" Gerber clip knife, and my AR was always close by in my vehicle. Now I am a retired "low risk" civilian, my normal attire is cargo shorts and a loose fitting T-shirt. I carry a .38 super Commander, with 10+1 rounds in the gun, cocked and locked in an OWB holster, my clip knife, and one extra 10 round mag. I don't feel the need for any more weapons for everyday concealed carry. :)

#37 · (Edited)
I am a full time Road Ranger, and a part time Private Investigator, and High risk contractor. That is not my "work" load out. I carry even more stuff "on duty", and we are forbidden to have weapons in FDOT trucks. I have not been to CFL but shot a lot at Titusville gun club. Everything I carry I have needed before and not had it. Lesson learned. With the exception of the fixed blade. I want to carry it. And the neck knife is me supporting a friend and local business but it is very handy.

#38 · (Edited)
For me it's full-size 1911 all the way. Still haven't found my ideal holster. It MUST be tan leather outside and suede lined, hi-ride, strong-side. I have a Bianchi Assent holster on the way, but it is lined with some kind of molded synthetic and may wear the gun's finish ... won't know if it's actually useable for me until I get it. It must be wearable at the 3 o'clock position and carry the gun high enough that it doesn't dig into a seat when I sit. Ultra concealability isn't all that important to me because I ALWAYS wear a lined vest or longer jacket..
Have one of these on the way, lined.
http://store.dmbullardleather.com/catalog/product/ab963de75935484882cd50f3d5865df3

#47 · (Edited)
I changed my mind. I didn't go with dmbullardleather, I went with this guy
http://www.bambamholsters.com/avenger-owb-holster.html
And here is the holster and matching mag carrier that I had him make.

I love the holster, very high quality, is exactly what I wanted. Lined with smooth leather, extended sweat/comfort shield. He even custom-molded it for exactly the retention that I wanted (just a little retention on the trigger guard and ejection port, just enough to keep the gun from falling out). He only charged me about $130.00 including shipping for both the holster and matching mag carrier, and I had it in my hands in under 3 weeks. It has just a wee bit of forward cant, almost a vertical draw. I have a very good 1/4" thick belt, and it keeps the butt of the gun in tight. He will work with you to give you exactly what you want. I wanted a holster like the one shown in the link above, but made to be more hi-ride, and he delivered perfectly.

#39 · (Edited)
My normal conceal carry is a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm in a pancake style leather holster and a spare magazine in urban areas with law enforcement minutes away. My Sig P938 9mm pocket BUG in a leather pocket holster with a spare magazine is a constant. I conceal carry a 5.31" Glock G35 40 S&W or a 6" Glock G40 10mm with two or more fifteen round spare magazines in remote rural areas with law enforcement maybe hours away if I have cell phone service. I conceal carry a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum with two speed loaders in the woods with potential black bear encounters. I occasionally open carry a revolver in .357 magnum, .45 Colt, .44-40, .44 magnum, or .454 Casull with barrels ranging up to 10 1/2".

#40 ·
I carry an all-steel Colt Combat Commander in a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster on a Simply Rugged 1.75" laminated leather gun belt, with a spare 10-round mag on the weak side in a Crossbreed IWB mag holder. Never have a problem with comfort, even when sitting or walking all day. Getting a high-quality belt and holster--and getting them dialed in for comfort--is absolutely key to EDC'ing a large, heavy gun.

#43 ·
PC concealed with a Don Hume IWB in the hip position has always been a full size 1911 in GI or Milspec configuration. Most recently it's been a Kimber Grand Raptor with fixed Trij sights and a metaloy finish. I've never had issues with full size concealed. After 31 years, I often have to check just to make sure I AM carrying.

#48 ·
I, as many others, carry a full sized 1911. I forget which forum I posted my initial questions on (I believe it was an AR forum) and everyone told me it would be the most uncomfortable thing I ever did.

Granted, I actually like sleeping in jeans and on a pallet on the floor (so I'm weird) but I find it to be horrifically comfortable. My carry piece is a Remington R1 with a Tagua gun-leather holster with a normal every-day belt from Walmart, 1.25" wide. I'm not a big guy either, only 5'6".

Imho, I think the holster and how you wear it is what makes it comfortable. My holster is an OWB style holster, and where I like to wear it happens to coincide with where a belt loop is, so the handgun itself sits parallel to the loop itself and allowing the pants themselves to help distribute the weight and keep it tight up against my body. Makes it easy to swap between CC and OC just by taking off either an over shirt (button down, worn loosely) or some type of jacket, really anything that opens in the front. Seems to be the thing to post your EDC stuff so, here's mine thrown into the mix. Cargo pants helps a lot. The casing by the lighter, btw, is a homemade whistle. Works well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.