1911Forum banner

Fullsize carry

7K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  NightWolf 
#1 ·
I carry a fullsize 1911 in a Galco OWB on the hip with a leather Crossbreed gunbelt. This isn't concealed carry, but it is mostly covered by an untucked shirt. The weight doesn't bother me one bit. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that doesn't have a problem with guns printing or being exposed, but I still try to keep my level of carry discrete.
The way so many people talk, I should be very uncomfortable with the weight of a fullsize. I actually feel like my holster, along with the 1911s geometry make EDC very doable in my state. I'm wondering how many people carry fullsize 1911 in a similar fashion? Or am I in an small number that qualifies as the exception?

#2 ·
For what it's worth I find my SA mil-spec to be one of my more comfortable options. I carry it in a MS watch six along with a double mag pouch and cuffs. At 5'7" 150lbs., I like it.

I am require however to carry a Glock 19 cuffs and double mags round the clock. It may be lighter, but for me the 1911 feels more comfortable..

I sometimes carry it in a Safariland 560 paddle. I always wear an untucked shirt of some sort or something, so I don't worry about printing too much. People are surprisingly oblivious to their surroundings... LOL.

I am serious looking at some Privateer leather for OWB.

#5 ·
Either a Colt Government XSE or Springfield Mil-Spec for me, both steel-frame guns either IWB (Milt Sparks VM-2) or OWB (Bianchi Askins Avenger), with at least one and usually two spare mags on the off-side. Add a quality gunbelt (a leather one from A&G for me) and I'm carrying with comfort and concealment.

Sometimes, I even use the tuckable IWB option with an Alien Gear Cloak-Tuk 3.0 holster - it can be done!

#6 ·
6' 260# EDC Colt Government XSE in Galco V-Hawk IWB in California no less. No printing - Tshirt with button down over shirt (sometimes open - sometimes buttoned - depends on where I am or how neat I want my appearance

Two spare mags offside in a blackhawk leather mag carrier.

Carrying everyday for 5 years

Steve

#7 ·
Did it for many years. But the full size 1911 is a big gun.
Came the conclusion that the Glock 19 is just about perfect size for everything.
My state went to a 10 round magazine limit in 2013, so the 1911 started looking good again.
Tried the CCO platform, but eventually setteled on the Colt Commander.
About the demensions of the Glock 19 and still holds 8 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. All this in a very shootable gun.

#8 ·
1911 Full size gun or concealed carry....

This is subjective....what works fine for one person may not work for another. In addition, a person't body style may not allow an OWB holster for proper concealment without printing.

When working in LE, we worked 12 hour shifts with 26 lbs. of gear on our bodies....! It was tough to chase down a fleeing criminal! Now that I am a civilian, getting used to carrying a gun that is slightly over 3 lbs. feels pretty light....!

I carry an all steel 1911 Commander length gun. The slide is 3/4" shorter, so it is slightly easier to conceal using my OWB holster with an untucked, one size larger than normal shirt..... My usual clothing here in Florida is cargo shorts and a large, loose fitting T-shirt of some type..... I also like the fact the shorter slide does not dig into my car seat when I am driving.....this works for me! :)

#45 ·
When working in LE, we worked 12 hour shifts with 26 lbs. of gear on our bodies....! It was tough to chase down a fleeing criminal!
Off-topic, but it's funny that you mention that. I watched a program once where captured Taliban were saying the same thing about American soldiers that the communist Vietnamese once did... that our guys are so loaded down with crap that they simply can't move very fast, and that it's easy to engage them then break away.

Before my back started complaining a couple years ago I carried a full-size 1911 all the time. In fact it's the only full-sized handgun I ever bothered to carry, because all the others were so large and wide. Unfortunately I'm now down to a compact polymer 9mm or .380 simply because of the weight.

#9 ·
I rarely carry my full size in the concealed carry mode unless it in the winter time where a jacket conceals it. My every day concealed carry is a Ultra in either a custom OWB or a crossbreed IWB holster. My state had eased the requirements for CCW as in there is no penalty for printing or an accidental showing of the weapon so I'm seeing more people carry full size weapons under as little as a t-shirt.

#11 ·
This was my sole carry gun for some 15 years.

These days there's certainly other options.

One day I ran across a busy street and it really beat the crap out of me. Soon after I put a lightweight CCO style gun on layaway.

It's one of the least carried these days, but a wonderful shooter.

The size is no problem. The smaller 1911 really doesn't conceal all that better. The weight difference is significant, especially on a day the back is feeling cranky.

#12 ·
Wow! looks like I'm in good company. I've been seeing a lot of fullsize guns being carried in Georgia over the past year. Most of them are Glocks. I don't ever see 1911s though :scratch:

#13 ·
I shoot at a range that runs a lot of classes. Almost everyone who shoots there shoots Glock. You see a few Sigs and an occasional M&P but it's actually kind of startling to me how overwhelmingly Glock the place is. Of course, they push Glock, and even modify Glocks to their own carry package and sell them, but still the lack of variety is surprising.

Besides my wife and I, I know of two other 1911 shooters in the bunch.

#14 ·
I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm in a D.M. Bullard Combat (pancake style) holster @ 3:00 on my belt with a spare magazine @ 9:00. I also pocket carry a Sig P938 9mm and spare magazine as a BUG.

#15 ·
I usually carry a Gov't or a Commander, always in a Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0, I don't carry IWB.

#16 ·
I have the same carry set-up as you...a 5'' 1911 in an OWB Galco holster under an untucked button down shirt.

Have been carrying like this for years and the weight doesn't bother me one bit.

I've even carried a Para Black Ops P14-45 model and that doesn't bother me or slow me down.

#18 ·
I like mid-sized guns more and more because they're a good balance between size and capacity. I can't stand itty bitty guns and since I carry appendix anymore I've found something as long as a 1911 slide tends to dig into my bony frame when I sit.

#19 ·
Have and will ...

... I'm wondering how many people carry fullsize 1911 in a similar fashion? Or am I in an small number that qualifies as the exception?
... carry a gov't size 1911. My current EDCs are commander size (including a full-size M&P which is dimensionally the size of a 1911 commander). It's much less expensive to find the CCW features that I want in a commander size 1911.

However, I'm in the process of restoring a long-neglected gov't size 1911. When restoration is complete, assuming that process results in a -reliable- and accurate pistol, that pistol will join my EDC team.

#21 ·
I really like my G-Code Incog which is Kydex and I have a JM Custom Kydex that I'm ordering this week for my P07 since G-Code doesn't make the incog for the CZ P07. I like Kydex just fine myself.

#22 ·
I carry a full sized all steel 1911 everyday. IWB or OWB. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to carry a gun I would actually want to use if needed.

I figure I won't complain about weight if I need it.

I know peeps that carry plastic .380 single stacks. Probably adequate, but not what I would prefer.

#23 ·
I decided a long time ago that I wanted to carry a gun I would actually want to use if needed.

I figure I won't complain about weight if I need it.
That is the advice that was given to me when I was bouncing ideas EDC in my mind. Better to have a gun that is comfortable in a gunfight than than something that is intended to be comfortable while performing routine activities.

#25 ·
where does it all fit?:scratch:

#27 ·
I carry a Kimber Custom II every day. When I am at work it is in a Wild Bill concealment IWB, when I am not at work I carry it in a Bear River OWB. The only difference is that when I am at work I don't carry extra magazines, because I am not supposed to have a firearm on company grounds. Even though the boss knows that I carry, I don't want to announce that I am.

#28 ·
I am just getting started with ccw, and still trying to figure out what holster and configuration to go with. I currently have a Rock Island 1911 A1 GI 5". I have a Blackhawk Serpa and a Bulldog nylon holster. Both are owb holsters. The Bulldog allows my 1911 to move around and so far the Blackhawk is more comfortable. I used to carry my Ruger Redhawk in a shoulder rig when I was in Alaska and could carry open or concealed. The weight of the 1911 so far isn't prohibitive, but placement does seem to be. Because of printing and because the shoulder rig for my redhawk is so comfortable, I am leaning that way. I just need to find a good vertical rig that fits my 1911 that won't break the bank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.