1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Men's Tactical Pants

21K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
I would like to start a tread on tactical pants. I am currently looking to purchase a pair. I would like to heard your recommendations. I plan to wear them in warm or hot weather. I have my options narrowed down between Under Armour and 5.11 tactical. I have no experience with 5.11, but love my Under Armour gear. The pants need to be briar resistant, breath well, and dry quickly. All owner recommendations are appreciated.

#39 ·
I guess it's also dependant on your personality. I wouldn't want to be mistaken as a cop, lest some punk thought it'd be fun to gun down the "plain clothed po-po".

I don't want to be mistaken by the BGs as some witless potential victim, though. Then I might actually have to use my gun... and I don't want that.

It's just that where I'm at (yes I'm from AZ), we've had too many cop killings in recent years. In my mind, dressing like you might be plainclothed cop is still painting a bullseye on you just as if you were actually a cop in uniform. Unless I'm actually a sworn officer, I don't want to dress the part.

But, from what you're saying for yourself, it works for you. If that's the case, keep going with it. I know I couldn't pull it off though. For my personality and personal skills, I'm much better with looking like a sheep but being actively alert like a sheepdog.

#40 ·
I'd prefer to look as inconspicuous and anonymous/ordinary as possible most of the time.

However, I also think it does make good sense to project a "harder" appearance when walking to/from large parking lots (think Wal-Mart), in gas stations, etc., especially at night.

Many of us, self-included, could probably benefit from evaluating these appearance factors ... and it cannot hurt to do so.

Hope that others will weigh-in on this ... we've gotten slightly, but only slightly, away from the original subject, but it's still a worthwhile topic.

#41 ·
'You talkin' to ME, Man?

SirBrass:
But, from what you're saying for yourself, it works for you. If that's the case, keep going with it. I know I couldn't pull it off though. For my personality and personal skills, I'm much better with looking like a sheep but being actively alert like a sheepdog.
Well, if you're talkin' to me, I would hope to never be seen as a sheep. I would much prefer to be seen as an old (old enough to be your grandfather!) sheepdog, but one who's been around the block a time or two, is still not a pushover and still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

As to you being able to pull that off, just get about 25 or so more years behind you and it'll start to come naturally!

"Have you ever been experienced? Well, I have."
-- J. Hendrix

#42 · (Edited)
SirBrass:

Well, if you're talkin' to me, I would hope to never be seen as a sheep. I would much prefer to be seen as an old (old enough to be your grandfather!) sheepdog, but one who's been around the block a time or two, is still not a pushover and still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

As to you being able to pull that off, just get about 25 or so more years behind you and it'll start to come naturally!

"Have you ever been experienced? Well, I have."
-- J. Hendrix
I have to agree with this. I think older guys are pretty much able to wear whatever they want and get away with it. I also think most older guys don't care what others think of their wardrobe as much as some of the younger guys do. Furthermore, younger guys may look a little more out of place wearing certain types of clothing, like the photographer vest.

#43 ·
No matter what I wear, I get asked if I am a cop. I tell them I am retired military. Here in Northwest Oregon, you need Birkenstocks with socks, a plaid flannel shirt, longer hair, and drive a Prius to fit in.

#44 ·
Jeans and a decent shirt and hiking boots works for me . Same as before I carried.

#46 ·
LimaCharlie
No matter what I wear, I get asked if I am a cop. I tell them I am retired military. Here in Northwest Oregon, you need Birkenstocks with socks, a plaid flannel shirt, longer hair, and drive a Prius to fit in.
'Funny! Back when I lived in Oregon, you had to wear a hickory shirt, logger dungarees (usually hacked-off at mid-calf), a Filson vest and "corks" (even office buildings had signs that said "Please - No Caulks"). We were hippies working as hoedads and choker-setters.

The smell of cedar smoke was in the air everywhere, and the whole thing was like a scene out of "Sometimes a Great Notion". In fact, sometimes we'd even run into Ken Kesey at his family's "Health Food & Pool Store" (a health food store with a big ol' leather-pocketed pool table smack in the middle) in Springfield (across the river from the People's Republic of Eugene).

That was around the time I bought my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson Model 36, bought at "G.I Joe's" in NW Portland.

Ah, those were the days...! Now that I remember, Oregon was known as "the Beaver State" for an entirely different reason...!!

#47 · (Edited)
Edit: Oops -- I just noticed that the preceding first post by a new member has "revived" a very old thread ... I thought it seemed familiar, and just now noticed it's five years old. Subject matter is still relevant, however, so I'll leave my initial comments belowm

I've been very happy with all aspects of my online shopping experiences with 5.11 ... Including their "tactical" pants. I have several, various models.

Customer reviews are shown on the website, and these do not appear "staged" in any way. The "good" and the "bad" are presented in the reviews. Some products are rated extremely well; sometimes, there's a product that strikes-out with one or more customers.

Look at the pants models you're interested in, look at the reviews of these specific pants, and you'll have a pretty accurate idea of the product's merits. Do not skip the reviews.

Try to pay attention to 5.11's periodic sale and/or close-out pricing. Sometimes you can get really good deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.