1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Men's Tactical Pants

21K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
I would like to start a tread on tactical pants. I am currently looking to purchase a pair. I would like to heard your recommendations. I plan to wear them in warm or hot weather. I have my options narrowed down between Under Armour and 5.11 tactical. I have no experience with 5.11, but love my Under Armour gear. The pants need to be briar resistant, breath well, and dry quickly. All owner recommendations are appreciated.

#2 ·
I love UA tshirts, but all my pants and shorts are 5.11 Tac-Pro. They're very comfortable, hold their color for years, lightweight, sheets water, has dedicated knife/cell phone pockets and pockets galore. Seems like they last forever.

Don't know if they're briar resistant, but they are marketed for hunters too. I haven't found anything else that comes close; but then again, I stopped looking after I discovered them about 5-6 years ago.

Check them out at this link. Notice that they have 400+ reviews, most of which are very positive. On-line pricing varies, so shop around. I use to order them online, then I found a local shop that sells everything 5.11 almost exclusively, at a tremendous discount. Check around locally, especially for shops that target LE.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/Taclite-Pro-Pants.html

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have swapped wearing jeans for 5.11 pants. The TacLite pants are cool in the summer and are good for rainy days. I also wear the original cotton 5.11 pants. They are comfortable and durable for everyday wear.

I purchase them from LAPoliceGear. They ususally have some sort of promotion going on.

They have an elastic waist band which is comfortable. I have a 33 inch waist and found the TacLite waist to be comfortable in 32 but for the cotton pants, I went up an inch to 34 as they shrink a bit.

#6 ·
I have swapped wearing jeans for 5.11 pants. The TacLite pants are cool in the summer and are good for rainy days. I also wear the original cotton 5.11 pants. They are comfortable and durable for everyday wear.

I purchase them from LAPoliceGear. They ususally have some sort of promotion going on.
Ditto here, but I picked up some of the heavier 5.11 EMT pants a couple years ago on sale - have the rubberized kne pas built in, and oversized thigh pockets.

They're pretty much BoB clothing, but should last a good long time should it ever come to that. As a BIG guy, the thigh area is extra wide, which gives me good flexibility. That's ALWAYS important in a pair of pants!

#8 ·
Love UA shirts and have all sorts of different styles but I only wear 5.11 pants, shorts and long. They served me well in Iraq and Afghanistan. It doesn't get any hotter than these 2 hell holes.

#9 · (Edited)
My training 'outfit' has evolved over the past couple years and I feel it is currently at its best - I'll share the whole thing, maybe it'll help someone.

Shirt
-always the 'loose fitting' Under Armor (heat gear I think it's called) short or long sleeve. Far superior to cotton shirts IMO as it doesn't loosen as training day goes on. I no longer run a war belt, so it is important that my shirt stay tucked in so I can get to all necessary pouches/holders.

Pants
-(summer) Carhartt Khakis $40 at Meijer. Very durable, triple stitched, and lightweight enough to be comfortable in summer heat.
-(winter) Mountain Khakis Alpine Utility Pant ($50-100 on eBay). The most durable pants I've ever come across. Hands down. They also have a lighter summer option Ihaven't tried yet. See Kyle Defoor's thoughts here: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/04/mountain-khakis.html

Belt
Volund Gearworks Atlas Belt - $45 at local retailers. An amazing belt that doubles as an EDC and training belt. I love the multiple and easy adjustment and the fact it doesn't have a buckle like a traditional leather belt (which always print through my shirts). Notice how stiff it is (holding jeans up)

http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/

Shoes
Year round I wear the Merrell Moab Mid - $50 on eBay $90 retail. They wear like a running shoe, lightweight, waterproof, a little insulation. I can tailor to the season with just socks (thin crew socks in summer and thick Wigwams in the winter).

Atlas Belt and Carhartt Khakis with Raven kydex, CSM dump pouch, and mini-med.

#10 · (Edited)
I've been wearing Tru Spec 24/7 shorts and trousers for over three years now; and can't use anything else.

I've gotten so used to all the pockets, built in mags pouches, etc. that regular cargo shorts and jeans are useless anymore.

They've held up very well, I have three of each, and the original pair of pants I first bought are still in use.

Rick

#12 ·
I like the Duluth Trading Firehose pants a lot. I only have two issues with them. First, I would rather have U shaped pockets (personal preference). Second, the belt loop in the back is WIDE. It makes it challenging to use some IWB holsters in the 4:00 position.

I really like my Eotac discrete pants, but the company went under. :(

#13 ·
If you have the money and really want top of the line I would go with these http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRFPE0232R/G3-Field-Pants™ These pants are designed for tough military use, they are more than durable enough for what you have to throw at it. A couple of guys I work with want to buy some because they are that good.

#14 ·
All I have is 511, however I'm not impressed by them. Didn't take a month and the knees had torn and they do not breath at all. Very hot to wear if your active. Pockets could be better set up I feel and Velcro isn't my thing. I'd rather have buttons like my BDU's were in the USMC. I'll be look at other options when I buy new pants.

#18 · (Edited)
I quit wearing jeans almost 10 years ago. I discovered "tactical pants" in the late 90s when the only game in town was the original Royal Robbins pants. That was before 5.11 became a brand of their own. Throughout the years I've worn RR, Eotac, Woolrich Elite and other similar pants. I've also worn Walmart cargo pants, which at $17 is a great deal. With the stuff I carry every in my pocket everyday (not even going shooting), the multiple large pockets are a great convenience. Non "tactical" brands of cargo pants are less expensive for casual everyday wear. I love the cargo pants from Kohl's. I wear them to work in a professional office and doesn't look out of place.

#19 · (Edited)
I purchased 5.11's newest design -- "Stryke Pants" -- recently and have been very satisfied thus far ... enough so as to immediate order some more of the same.

These are somewhat higher priced ($74.99) than the other 5.11 pants. The higher cost probably goes with the adage "you get what you pay for" (well, much of the time).

I think if someone really wanted to find the absolute best tactical pants for themselves, it might make sense to try single quantity orders from three or four suppliers ... then see which one works best for one's self.

Added - I noticed, with interest, that the earlier mentioned (by turkey1911) $142 cryeprecision pants are stated to be US made from US materials. Not sure that I'd want to spend that much on pants, but I will keep these in mind. Thanks turkey1911 for this info and link !!

#21 ·
Tactical Pants

I agree with the comments about 5.11 Tactical Taclite Pro pants. Excellent quality and a great price from LA Police Gear. And the Taclite Pro shorts are equally good. Watch LAPG's site for sales, free shipping, and free belts with 5.11 pants and shorts purchases!

#22 ·
Thank you all for sharing. I purchased the 5.11 taclite pro pants, but they were too big. I returned them. I need a 29W - 31L which is not available by 5.11. I will hopefully find a company that carries odd sizes eventually.

#23 ·
As a thin guy myself, I'm well aware that one-inch increments can make a considerable difference ... much more so than for a larger person. A 30" waist size and 32" length in a mostly cotton blend, placed in the dryer, might come out about right ... just a thought. Even the super-premium priced Crye Precision pants don't have odd-numbered sizes.

#24 ·
My dept allows daily wear of tactical pants now (as long as they are navy blue) so I wear 511 Taclite Pro pants at work. This summer though I discovered Carhardtt ripstop work shorts and pants. They are rugged, practical, and have cordura pocket linings as well as a reinforced pocket edge right where my folding knife clip lives. I watch the sales on Sierra Trading post and can usually pick them up for around $20. I like them better than my 511s and when it is MY money not clothing allowance money, I prefer the price too.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...0101&storeId=10051&productId=169669&langId=-1

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...0101&storeId=10051&productId=156382&langId=-1

#25 ·
5.11's have a very good reputation and they're very often the standard informal "range uniform" for most folks in these parts: 5.11 pants or 5.11 shorts. Just about everyone competing is wearing them or their durable jeans, and it's hard to find a LGS whose employees aren't wearing them.

B/c of the dead giveaway that they are, however, I'd only wear them for trips to the range, competition, or training.

"The 5.11 tuxedo" is about as obvious to anyone who knows firearms as the ubiquitous "photographer's vest" is if a person is wearing one w/o a big camera around their neck.

#27 · (Edited)
B/c of the dead giveaway that they are, however, I'd only wear them for trips to the range, competition, or training.

"The 5.11 tuxedo" is about as obvious to anyone who knows firearms as the ubiquitous "photographer's vest" is if a person is wearing one w/o a big camera around their neck.
"Normal" cargo pants may be better suited to most areas. Since I live just outside FT Bragg's Home for Incorigable Boys, "tactical" pants blend in a little better.

I just realized that after almost 5 years, I finaly hit 1000 posts here...

#26 ·
The potential for tactical pants being a giveaway might merit further discussion. I have not thought too much about this but it may be a valid concern. Obviously the concern is not so much with other CCW/CHL holders, but with the general public.

Others' thoughts and ideas on this?

#29 ·
John Q Public will be none the wiser (condition "totally oblivious" white, remember) if you're wearing the "5.11 tuxedo" (khaki tactical pants & concealment shirt), but it's the bad guys watching for plain clothed fuzz that might make you before you make them.

Alot of BGs still may not be able to shoot for love or money, but more of them are getting "gun smart" about just who may be carrying and NOT have their health as a major concern.

That's who you really need to conceal from.

Cargo pants are a good solution, or simply solid jeans.

Also, lose the hiking boots. Go with normal sneakers or whatever your regular footwear is.

Most of the year here (read: April through October) I'm wearing the same Birkenstocks I've worn for the past 5 years. Strap around the heel. Except when I'm swing dancing, then I wear jazz sneakers. The hiking boots only go on for range trips.

If there's anything that could "make" you to a BG that you should never lose, it's that "thing" they can pick up on that screams "predator, not prey": how you carry yourself: weight balanced towards balls of feet for fast reaction and motion, head on a swivel, and awareness of surroundings. They may not be able to tell if you're carrying or a cop, but the streetwise (read "dangerous") ones will generally avoid you unless they were going to try and kill you anyway for whatever reason (like if you're an off-duty cop who arrested their hommie G last week for armed robbery). But otherwise, they don't tangle with the predators. That awareness is how they've survived on the street without getting killed.

Though here's an amusing idea to lighten the mood: maybe if you dress like a mall ninja, the BGs will never suspect that you're actually a trained gun carrier and not a joke :biglaugh:

#30 ·
Thanks for these ideas SirBrass !!

There's a lot of wisdom in them, and I see a few things that I going to review further in regard to my own practices.

Fortunately, I did not choose any khaki pants -- I went with all-black to match my carry gear.

#32 ·
I have some black 5.11's, but they just feel too "mall ninja" to me. I like the "business casual" look of 5.11 khakis. But mostly I wear jeans everywhere, so that's my prefered "tactical pant."

Actually I've tossed the idea around in my head that one could design a "designer jean" for men that would look stylish like it could be a name brand, but constructed with absolute sturdiness in mind: thicker width belt loops at appropriate places and with heavier, durable stitching and reinforced waist to support the weight of some of the more zealous EDCers out there with their carry gear all on the belt: pockets with the flat edge for knife and light clips, and using the most durable denim. Basically: a designer jean designed so that John Clueless Public will still like them, but made to last and will be the proper platform for a CCer with his EDC gear.

I even know a pro-gun friend from college who, IMHO, was the best dressed man on campus and who has a real business talent. I'm not much of a business guy, but the engineer in me knows that the jeans I like to wear (NOT skinny jeans, but not baggy work jeans either) while look and feel right, simply are going to wear out faster b/c they're not constructed to hold up under the load of my gun belt and gear. They're meant for a pro-forma belt and a guy's wallet, keys, and phone, and that's about it. They could be much better constructed for what the dept. stores charge for them.

But that's getting off topic.

The ideal tactical pant for us CCers is khaki cargo or denim jean that doesn't have the pocket arrangement of a tactical pant, but is made to hold up and last and is subtly designed in pockets, waist, and belt loops to support a man's EDC kit.

I've been mulling this over in my mind for the past 6 months or so. I KNOW there's a better way to do this, but I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

#33 ·
I have several pairs of the light weight 5.11s and my only complaint is that they shrink and inconsistently from pair to pair. I have a few pairs that have only shrunk less than an inch in the waist and leg over a year, and another pair that shrank four inches in the waist and 2.5 in the leg after just three washings. I've found the paratrooper pants from Army-Navy stores to be a bit more consistent and a lot less money.

#34 · (Edited)
The need for wide and sturdy belt loops is really what sent me towards tactical pants ... not the large number of pockets.

I prefer to carry a full-size all-steel 1911 ... sometimes I'll compromise with an compact all-steel 1911. And both of these really require a sturdy holster and matching belt (1-1/2" width for me), which in turn, drives the need for the tactical pants. Black is such a good color for hiding stains, dirt, and blending in with the belt and holster that I think it's the best color for me ... I'm so much closer to being a small, inconspicuous older guy (started to just say, ahem, "old"), that I'm probably exempt from any mall ninja perceptions ... one of the few benefits of getting older!!.

#35 · (Edited)
The need for wide and sturdy belt loops is really what sent me towards tactical pants ... not the large number of pockets.
Exactly. And I'm noticing now with some of my jeans that that extends to waist button construction. I've lost a few rivets on some otherwise solid jeans of mine now. So the whole waist and belt loops area is what is so key for us.

I like a dark denim or light denim, b/c both hide stains fairly well but aren't "mall ninja/goth-who-never-grew-up" black. I want something that looks good just going out into town or on a date, but is absolutely solid as an EDC gear foundation (belt is built onto the pant, and the holster is built onto the belt... all 3 work as a single system).

I'm liking the look of the deluth trading co stuff, but they suffer from the 5.11 syndrome: they assume there's no one of adult size with a waist smaller than 32" (w/ 5.11, it's the "available in all sizes except small")

#37 ·
Guess we probably have considerably different environments among Vermont, Arizona (guessing), and DFW Texas. Black trousers are pretty common in DFW, although usually more of a business style than 5.11's tactical pants. I can understand how black trousers may be less ordinary in a desert environment. Hiking boots (as opposed to cowboy boots) are a bit less common in my home area, but are obviously commonplace in the Northeast and the Pacific Northwest.

Just slightly different environments. I think it is a good idea for us to think about how we might appear to others (BGs, ordinary citizens, CCW/CHL holders), and this thread has started me to reflect on this in more depth.

#38 ·
SirBrass:
John Q Public will be none the wiser (condition "totally oblivious" white, remember) if you're wearing the "5.11 tuxedo" (khaki tactical pants & concealment shirt), but it's the bad guys watching for plain clothed fuzz that might make you before you make them.

Alot of BGs still may not be able to shoot for love or money, but more of them are getting "gun smart" about just who may be carrying and NOT have their health as a major concern.

That's who you really need to conceal from.
[snip]
If there's anything that could "make" you to a BG that you should never lose, it's that "thing" they can pick up on that screams "predator, not prey": how you carry yourself: weight balanced towards balls of feet for fast reaction and motion, head on a swivel, and awareness of surroundings. They may not be able to tell if you're carrying or a cop, but the streetwise (read "dangerous") ones will generally avoid you unless they were going to try and kill you anyway for whatever reason (like if you're an off-duty cop who arrested their hommie G last week for armed robbery). But otherwise, they don't tangle with the predators. That awareness is how they've survived on the street without getting killed.
I'm perfectly OK if they think I'm on the job, or my case if they think I'm retired from the job. I've been accused of having that "big, beefy and bored-looking" cop look, and frankly it has served me well. I also smile at the skells and say, "How ya doin'?" to let them know that a) I'm not looking for trouble but b) I am in control and not intimidated. That has also served me quite well.

And I often wear khakis and even a vest. People often say, "You look like you're on safari", to which I reply, "Well, it's a jungle out there" (or sometimes I say, "So what are you, the Fashion Police?"). But nobody ever says "You look like you're (strapped, carrying, packing heat etc.)!"

The ideal tactical pant for us CCers is khaki cargo or denim jean that doesn't have the pocket arrangement of a tactical pant, but is made to hold up and last and is subtly designed in pockets, waist, and belt loops to support a man's EDC kit.
As far as I'm concerned, Carhartts fill the bill. In the summer I wear their #B151 lightweight dungarees (or shorts made from them), in spring and fall their #B11 duck dungarees, and in winter their #B111 lined duck dungarees.

I usually carry an all-steel Commander and 2 spare mags plus a Leatherman tool, all on a serious belt, and a Spyderco folder, a chain-drive wallet, a mini-Maglite, a box cutter, a dog traffic lead w/ a quick-release head, a Zippo, an old (heavy) Nokia cellphone and a bunch of other stuff in my pockets, plus keys hanging from a belt-loop, and my Carhartts hold up just fine (and I spend a good bit of time walking in the woods).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.