1911Forum banner

A recommended reading list.

115K views 93 replies 70 participants last post by  cfwii1979 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Like many of you, I'm interested in learning how to increase my knowledge & skills. I take as many classes as I can but I also read a great deal because it's less expensive and I can fit it into whatever time I have available. The following is a list of books that I feel offer value. Hope it's of some use to you.

General:

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens. If you were to only buy one book, this would be the one. It doesn't go into great detail but covers just about all pertinent areas well.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. Another excellent all-around reference on the subject of personal defense. While it was first published 30+ years ago most of the information is still relevant.

Technical:

The "Some of the Answer" series by Jim Crews. They are available for pistol, carbine & shotgun and all have intricate detail. I know of no other books that do as good of a job at the technical aspects of shooting a firearm.

Gunhandling and Tactics:

Combative Fundamentals by Jeff Gonzales
Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
Modern Technique of the Pistol by Greg Morrison

All of these are outstanding but Gonzales' is the most universal as it covers both sidearms & longarms. His descriptions are great but the book could use more pictures or illustrations. Honorable mention goes to the Tactical series by Gabe Suarez with his Tactical Advantage being the best.

Mindset & Mental Conditioning:

Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper has to be #1 as it provides the cornerstone on which most other books are based. At only 44 pages, it has more valuable information than any other book available.

On Killing by Dave Grossman. I don't agree with everything he has to say but most of the book is very well done and worth the read.

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Kecker makes some valid points and although he has some fairly anti-gun sentiments, I'd still suggest it.

Deadly Force Encounters by Artwahl/Christensen is a case study analysis of real confrontations and the effects on the participants. It's the real story of several people who have "been there."

Breakout by Martin Russ. This is the story of the Chosin Reservoir campaign in the Korean War and although it's clearly biased to favor the USMC, those guys prevailed in the face of truly overwhelming odds.

Speed and Accuracy:

Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

Both do an excellent job of providing information about increasing your speed (even if biased toward isoceles stance)

(I also really like Matt Burkett's DVD's on this subject)

Know your Enemy:

Inside the Criminal Mind by Stanton Samenow is an excellent piece on why criminals behave in the manner they do.

Specialty books:

Fight at Night by Andy Stanford is the authoritative text on dealing with low light conditions.

That's enough rambling from me. If you have some favorites, I'm sure we would all like to hear about them.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I agree with your selections Mr. Blinder.

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens is a must read!
The Tactical Edge by Charles Remsberg is my second choice for a must read after Tom's book.

In addition to your choices, I've learned much from these books.

Mindset
==========
In the Gravest Extreme, Massad Ayoob
Monster, The Autobiography of an LA Gang Member by Monster Kody Scott
To Ride, to Shoot Straight, and To Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper
(Cooper's books will get your head right.)
Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert Ressler
Mind Hunter by John Douglas
Armed Robbers in Action by Richard Wright
What Cops Know by Connie Fletcher
The Art of War Sun Tzu
Unrepentant Sinner by Charles Askins
I'm Frank Hamer by Frank Hamer (Hard to find)
A Rifleman Went to War by McBride (A Hoosier by the way.)

Tactics
=========
Safe in the City, Marc "Animal" MacYoung and Chris Pfouts
Verbal Judo, George Thompson
The Street Smart Gun Book, John Farnam
No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan
Kill or Get Killed by Rex Applegate
The Tactical Advantage by Gabe Suarez (All of Suarez's books have great graphics and diagrams which are worth the cost of the books alone.)
Street Survival by Charles Remsberg
Tactics for Criminal Patrol by Charles Remsberg
Tactical Reality by Louis Awerbuck

GunHandling/Marksmenship
========================
Shooting from Within, J. Michael Plaxco
The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper
The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning by John Farnam
The Farnam Method of Defensive Rifle and Shotgun Shooting by John Farnam
The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster

Gunfighting Tales
=================
The Ayoob Files, The Book by Massad Ayoob
The Best Defense by Waters
Triggernometry: A Gallery of Gunfighters by Eugene Cunningham
The Deadliest Men by Paul Kirchner

I wonder if Gabe Suarez will be publishing any books about his time behind bars?

#7 ·
I've read most of those on mental conditioning. Gabe Suarezes "Combative Perspective" should be added to that list - it is outstanding.

Under the topic of Concealed Carry beginner - The Concealed Carry Manual by Chris Bird is an excellent and pretty comprehaensive place to start.

Mus is right - this should be a sticky.

Cheers,
Mike.

#9 ·
For edged weapons techniques don't overlook any material written or with input from Dan Inosatio, one of the world's premier edged weapon instructors and the one primarily responsible for the 1980's popularity of "Butterfly knife" fighting. Even if you don't plan on using knives as a last ditch weapon it's good to be wise in what may come your way.

#11 ·
Psychology and Training:
Sharpening The Warrior's Edge - Bruce K. Siddle. ISBN 0-9649205-0-6. I've been favorably impressed by this book. Goes into the psychological and physiological aspects of survival skill training and performance under stress.
I'm not an authoritative source but I've been told that much of the physiology and psychology in the book is outdated and not valid. This would affect the recommendations as far as effective fighting.

#16 · (Edited)
I found the info. disregard this post.

David Blinder said:
General:

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens. If you were to only buy one book, this would be the one. It doesn't go into great detail but covers just about all pertinent areas well.
Disregard this post I found the info I was looking for.

Thanks

#17 ·
First, I'd like to second (or third) votes for Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens, and for Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper.

And I'd like to add Tactical Reality, and More Tactical Reality, by Louis Awerbuck. I've read Tactical Reality numerous times. The only reason I haven't read the second book as much is because it just came out this summer!
Both books are collections of his Tactics and Training column from S.W.A.T. magazine.
He will make you question many things you have always heard and/or been taught.

#18 ·
Another book...

Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th Edition by Massad Ayoob. Used to have big-time recoil problems due to technique when handling pistols, but the pre-shoot checklist Ayoob presents in here (power stance... high hand... crush grip... front sight... ROLL the trigger...) gave me enough confidence to tackle a couple rented full-auto Thompsons and an AK last weekend, and I'm looking forward to trying it with smaller guns to see if my results improve. (Didn't have any stance coaching first time out.)

#19 ·
I just finished Into The Kill Zone by David Klinger written by a cop who has been ther he went on to study the emotions of over 80 other officers and all the things they felt from the drawstroke to weeks and months after their shootings. I think this book gives some real insight to what it really is like.

#72 ·
I just had an 8 hour training seminar with Dr. Klinger last week.

I was very impressed, he is an extremely knowledgable guy, as well as having killed someone in a gunfight himself, and having good tactical knowledge.

He's one smart guy.

#20 ·
Tactical Marksmanship Tactical Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez. An excellent read on the fundamentals of tactical marksmanship and basic tactics. My shooting improved immensely by studying this course.
Denfensive Handgun Video By Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch. Lots of good basic info on the draw, reloading, tactics, etc. An excellent primer if you're thinking of going to Thunder Ranch.
Self Defense The Principles of Self Defense by the Colonel. Basic, and self validating.

Notice how my recommendations are reiterating the basics and fundamentals. This is what really needs to be practiced over and over againl.

#22 ·
harley45 said:
Are any of the Gunsite or Thunder Ranch Videos available on DVD?
I Don't own a vcr anymore
I can't speak for the Gun Site Videos but the TR flicks are only on VHS. Clint is putting his 4 hour intro on DVD. They were filming that when I was there but I haven't heard when or if it is coming out.

#23 ·
Kodiak PA said:
I can't speak for the Gun Site Videos but the TR flicks are only on VHS. Clint is putting his 4 hour intro on DVD. They were filming that when I was there but I haven't heard when or if it is coming out.
Are you refering to the lecture he gives at the beginning of each cass? I'd really be interested in that!!

#24 ·
harley45 said:
Are you refering to the lecture he gives at the beginning of each cass? I'd really be interested in that!!
Yes, Heidi told our class that they were filming the intro to put it on DVD's since Clint's 4-hour class is well known and there have been numerous requests for it. I am not sure when it is coming out or if they're going to be filming several classes and picking the best or what but that is what Mrs. Smith told me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.