1911Forum banner

Self Defense Training Videos

85K views 72 replies 63 participants last post by  Love2shoot 
G
#1 ·
Do you have recommendations for Self Defense Training videos? Post them here.

#2 · (Edited)
Louis Awerbuck's three videos are pretty good.

"Safe At Home" is not so much about shooting, but more about preparing your house by re-working door hinges, changing the angle of window blinds, etc, plus a little bit about investigating a bump in the night (although it's strongly advised against, they know some will try it anyway).

"Only Hits Count" is about pistol shooting. He starts with a short talk, then is filmed training up two shooters who are starting at different skill levels. They go from single targets, to angled targets, to multiple angled targets, to moving targets, etc.
It really reminded me of being in his classes, which it should, since you are watching a very abbreviated version of one. As such, it's probably best as a review if you taken his, or a similar, class. Or maybe as the last thing to make one decide to actually pursue real training.

"Combat Shotgun" is similar to "Only Hits Count" with the obvious difference of being shotgun-centered. Another short talk about different shotgun types, followed by a patterning session, then a new-to-shotguns shooter is trained up. He lectures, then they do some drills, and keep repeating that process, adding challenges as they go.

Paladin Press carries them.

I have some Thunder Ranch videos, which are OK, but I'm pretty sure they have an all-new series now. The ones I have are broken down into more specific segments/applications than the Awerbuck videos- one for Basics, one for House-Clearing, one for Low-Light, another for Vehicle Defense, etc.

I have a Massad Ayoob Stressfire Pistol video. Maybe it's good, but I can't watch it. I've never taken a class from him, and as I tried to watch it I found so much of it was counter to what I had been taught that I stopped it. Nothing against another way of doing something, but without being right there in the class to have some things demonstrated, it's hard to see the reason or value of the difference. I found myself wanting to ask "Why?" often. Maybe the reason why is excellent, but I don't know.
Maybe I would have done the same thing with Louis Awerbuck's videos had I not taken his classes before.
That's a good example of why a video can't replace real traning.

#53 ·
Gunsite DVD's = Ugh

Watched Gunsite's Concealed Carry I today. Thought it was pretty weak. Very short. And it contained a very long Galco commercial masquerading as holster advice.
Oh man. I completely agree. I bought both the first and second edition DVD's and was so disappointed in the first one I haven't even opened the second one. I did learn a couple pointers for clearing a weapon in a confrontation, but otherwise not impressed.

The music and video felt really dated too.

#5 ·
Barry, can you go into more detail about why you didn't find "Stressfire" helpful?

I'm looking to pick up some of these resources, and "Stressfire" was on my list. The thing I think may be counter-productive is that I see that the author recommends different motions (i.e., using the heel of your opposite hand for the magazine release). Just wondering how far that goes, or if the alternate methods may actually be useful/practical?

#12 ·
I've only got to watch maybe 10 minutes of it since my last post here, but one thing that stood out in that short period was his stress on stance- specifically foot placement and a solid base to fire from.

He teaches a fairly set foot placement, with the strong side foot planted to the rear, turned, and dug in to act as a brace.
That's all good, it does work at controlling the recoil, and I used to practice that very thing.
But the emphasis on a deliberate, solid, bracing foot placement may work against you if/when you work on shooting on the move. It's not that you can't move out of it, but it wouldn't be as easy as taking what a given situation hands you.
You are practically forced to lead off with that extended "brace" foot if you start from his foot position.

Maybe it's not, but it really looked like it was intended to be a fixed position.
Maybe you don't plan on moving, but you need to be ready to.

And we don't always get to place our feet just like we want.
That foot placement was being stressed so much that it almost seemed like a must-have. Yes, it can help in some cases, but you may have to take what the situation gives you.

I don't want to sound like I'm beating up the entire video for that one thing. But I only watched for a brief time, that was the first thing I saw, and I thought he was pushing it rather hard.
It also doesn't mean he's wrong. It just means it doesn't match with some things I have been taught.

#6 ·
It's been a while since I've seen it, so can't say precisely where it differed now. I'll try to watch it again soon and tell you what/where it was different.
But I'm just saying it varied and maybe even contradicted things I had been taught by showing a different way of doing some things. That didn't make them wrong, nor did it make what I had been taught wrong. More like a different way to the same end.

#7 ·
I recommend Shivworks Practical Unarmed Combat to anybody interested in self defense. It shows and discusses the realities of an actual assualt and defending against it as oppossed to diagnostic martial arts moves. There are not a lot of hard skills shown on the video but discuss a lot of pre assualt cues that help people to avoid the assualt in the first place.

Ron

#8 ·
I actually thought those free Vahallia DVDs had some real good tips;

and I've always been a fan of Clint from Thunder Ranch. I like his rifle lessons, he's one of the few I've seen that I like the rifle lessons. Then the Shoot with What You've Got (which I'm sure won't apply to anyone here!) I like when he talks to Police Officers where he states something like "I hate when I see police officers jump out of the back of a truck, looking like they instead jumped from out of a Blackwater magazine. You're not an Operator, you're a Cop. So act like one."

#9 ·
I saw a brief clip of one of Thunder Ranch's video's playing at a gunshop. Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch more but I liked what I saw. I like the way Clint Smith teaches. IMHO, he is the premier trainer today. I will be buying his video's.

#10 ·
I have the "Combat Shotgun" video of Louis Awerbuck. Very dry and monotone in his presentation but good information for beginners. Being new to shotguns, it was very helpful.

Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson's "Room Clearing" was very informative and I like their presentation style. Their reputation speaks for themselves. The two of them make good points and they drive home the realization that room clearing is a very dangerous thing for a civilian to undertake and should only be done when there is no other option.

Kelly McCaan's series, "Inside the Crucible" is a very good series for new shooters and his presentation style is very interesting. He emphasizes that it's more than just doing a specific move and that we must always be thinking about why we're doing what we're doing. His explanation of sighting and sight pictures is very informative. Basic but informative nonetheless. I highly recommend his series for those new to combat pistol. Disc #4 in the series on Close Quarters is my favorite because it stressed that close quarters is very much a struggling situation or at least that it can eventually get there if we don't solve the problem quickly and efficiently.

#13 ·
Thunder Ranch and some Magill

I've reviewed about 20 videos for the USCCA. Anything from Thunder Ranch is great. Some of the Magill videos are good, too. The best of those is House Clearing. Parts of the 5 DVD Advanced series are good - especially Disc 3. PM me if you have any questions about any of the TR or Magill stuff. I have all 6 TR videos and have about 20 of Magill's.

Dave

#14 ·
Awerbuck Training Videos

This is another recommendation for the Louis Awerbuck videos. He is a better speaker in person during a course than on some of the videos but the quality of the material and substantive content are first rate whether in person or by video. He is a little shy, and it does not come across as well by video sometimes; however, he has a good demeanor and personality during his courses with a dry sense of humor particularly when he gets to know the class. He is an excellent teacher for beginner and expert alike.

It always takes me a little bit of time to get used to his drawl and accent, but I never cease to be amazed and informed by his thinking and expertise.

#16 ·
Rangemaster has just released two professionally produced DVD's. "Concealed Carry for Self Defense" is two hours and fifteen minutes in length, and costs $34.95. "Defensive Shotgun" is two hours long and costs $29.95. As a package deal, you can order both for $59.95, saving on the price and on shipping. To order, call 901-370-5600.

#19 ·
The Thunder Ranch DVD's were well worth the investment. I have the original three; defensive pistol, defensive tactics, and urban rifle. I have read his articles for years and found his logical and blunt aproach to the teaching of firearms a refreshing change of pace from the super-tactical dress all in black used-to-be so and so special-ops/swat/vip protection crapola that I see all over the internet, magizines, and police training videos. As a Patrol Deputy in a small county and the sole breadwinner of a family of five, it was hard to come up with the $50 per DVD, so I have no illusions of being able to take one of his classes. His writings and videos are a close as I can get. As far as the Member who could not get through the Ayoob video, perhaps if you keep an open mind and watch the entire video you might get something out of it. I've never seen the video but I read the Stressfire and Stressfire 2 books (got them free through my local public library) many moons ago and was quite impressed with the material even if it was a little dated when it came to equipment.

#20 ·
The Clint Smith videos are very good and he puts thing in very simple way. I will add though that if you can make the time there is nothing like a live fire training course. The stress level is very high and allows you to train under pressure and stress. Larry Vickers runs a great class and travels the country and is well worth the time. He also does a low light course with Ken Hackathorn that is supposed to be great. His courses are open to the public in most cases and are designed around solid fundamentals and accuracy.

#21 ·
I've followed old Clint Smith since the mid-90s and bought the VHS tapes back then and felt they were pretty cool. I also bought some Lenny Magil VHS tapes in the late 90s which were ok. His Shoot Move Live is not bad at all. I have some Gunsite VHS tapes that are ehhhhh. They are from 1994ish.

Today a guy at the range let me borrow the new Thunder Ranch DVD Defensive Handgun so I'll check it out tonight or tomorrow night but I've heard so much good and I expect it to be good. Much respect to Mr. C Smith!!!!!

#22 ·
Gabe Suarez.. defensive pistol and close combat

#58 ·
+10 Gabe is 1st class no BS and has a lot of real world experience to draw on. His techniques are constantly being honed and taught. Talk about some tough instructors? But they teach you how to survive a gunfight, not kill paper targets.

#23 ·
Tom Givens/Rangemaster Concealed Carry DVD is a very good intro to a lot of material. ShivWorks Fighting Handgun is a very solid intro to drawstroke and the ECQC problem. Kelly McCann's material is top flight as well.

Disclaimer: I'm the meat puppet in Fighting Handgun, so I may be a bit biased.

#27 ·
The best self defense videos I think I have see are from Valhalla Training Center in Colorado. Rob Pincus does a great job in a full series of DVDs. He covers common topics as well as lots of speciality training.

You can get information from the NRA (Where I got my DVD's or from the Training venter itself.

This link has a "Click here for more information" button that you can use:

http://directory.officer.com/product/44290/VALHALLA_TRAINING_CENTER_Valhalla_Training_Center

#28 ·
I've got a couple of the original Jeff Cooper videos that have been put onto DVD. In my opinion they are very good. They are very fundamental with nothing fancy thrown in. Kind of meat and potatoes.

#30 ·
Only one I've seen so far...

A while back, our friends at the NRA sent me a DVD on Personal Firearm Defense. It was part of a series...one of those "here, watch this and if you like it, please send us some money for it" deals. Rob Pincus (at Valhala at the time) is the instructor and what I like about it was that he works with what the body does naturally. I figure that alone is worth at least a few weeks of trying to train yourself to do something that wouldn't come naturally as a reflex. I liked the DVD, it was very informative, I may just send a check for it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.