Votes: 4,109 87.7%
  • Chambered with hammer down

Votes: 264 5.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrying chambered 1911?

363K views 941 replies 542 participants last post by  Tim Burke 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 70's series Springfield Micro Compact. I have been working for a gun dealer as a salesman for almost a year now and I have several co-workers who also carry 1911s; all of which carry theirs chambered. When I asked about carrying it chambered with the hammer dropped my co-worker told me if you drop a 70's series chambered with the hammer down it will go off. He told me if i was going to carry it chambered have the hammer back and safety on. I plan to familiarize myself with the weapon more before i start doing this but in the mean time i have been carrying it unchambered with the hammer back and safety on to see if my safety will ever fail or shift. I have a nice Galco holster and when i bought the gun it came with an extended safety. Just wanted to see how everyone else carries and make sure I am safe before I accidentally blow my leg and buttocks off with a .45 magsafe round.

#79 ·
i should qualify my last the when i carried a single action it was always cocked and locked except in the army that required condition 3. these are the only ways its was recommended to carry the pistol never hammer down on a live round.

#80 · (Edited)
razor777 said:
WRONG GUESS AGAIN
20 mm on the A-10...1 bad mutha...
Music to your ears if you need support.
Theres no sound like it.

GAU-17 is the same thing only much smaller in size and caliber...7.62 caliber.

And I didnt have to look it up.

I myself believe condition 1 is the best way to carry a 1911.

#81 ·
ridgerunner665 said:
20 mm on the A-10...1 bad mutha...
Music to your ears if you need support.
Theres no sound like it.

GAU-17 is the same thing only much smaller in size and caliber...7.62 caliber.

And I didnt have to look it up.

I myself believe condition 1 is the best way to carry a 1911.
The A-10 uses the GAU-8 and it fires 35mm rounds.

#83 ·
I've seen several police officers lately carrying 1911s, and they have all been cocked and locked. In a world dominated by Glocks, a 1911 strapped in the ready position is an intimidating sight.

#86 ·
Striker 5 The only ND I have ever had was lowering the hammer on my 1911. You can only lower that hammer so many times before you screw up.[/QUOTE said:
Racking the slide may not be always possible, my other hand may not be free to do so. Therfore, I carry it C1, cocked and locked. This is the only safe way when you have it loaded.

Please for everyone who loads a 1911.
When you what to unload your weapon.

1. Remove the magazine.
2. Rack the slide to eject the chambered cartridge.
3. Squeeze the trigger.

There is no other way to handle the single action 1911.

Be safe.

#87 ·
carrying my commander

Hi,

I have been reading your opinions and I find it very interesting. I carry a 1911 commander and i am still a bit paranoid about carrying it in cond 1. However, I would also like to keep it as ready as possible to fire if needed, so I carry it loaded with the hammer down. As I see, some said this is wrong, can you please elaborate on this?

#88 ·
utak_pulbora said:
Hi,

I have been reading your opinions and I find it very interesting. I carry a 1911 commander and i am still a bit paranoid about carrying it in cond 1. However, I would also like to keep it as ready as possible to fire if needed, so I carry it loaded with the hammer down. As I see, some said this is wrong, can you please elaborate on this?

to carry it hammer down the hammer must fall...sooner or latter the gun is going to go bang when doing that.

#89 ·
utak_pulbora said:
Hi,

I carry it loaded with the hammer down. As I see, some said this is wrong, can you please elaborate on this?
If you carry this way it could go off if dropped. The older 70 series guns don't have a firing pin block.

When you carry it C1, and turn on the thumb safety, the safety is a physical block in front of the sear. The sear can't move. If the sear can't move the hammer can't fall.
Don't forget, the grip safety also must be depressed to squeeze the trigger.
So when using the thumb safety, the 1911 is quite safe with a loaded chamber and hammer cocked.

#91 · (Edited)
utak_pulbora said:
I see. Thanks for the info. Another question I have in mind is if I carry it and keep the hammer open, as in cond. 1, would'nt that weaken the main spring? It will be compressed the whole time right?
Yes, the main spring is fully compressed when in condition 1. In light of this, so are the magazine springs. There are reports that the springs won't show any significant loss of tension. Some claim the working of the springs (loaded /unloaded) will wear them out faster.
If your concerned about spring failure, test fire the gun twice a year to maintain your assurance that the gun will work as designed. If all else fails, the main spring can be changed by yourself for less than 5 bucks.

Be well.

#93 ·
For a person that really and truely is carrying a 1911 for the purpose of defending themselves, Condition One is the only practical solution.
Carrying any other way gives a guy a warm and fuzzy feeling of being armed, but actually reduces their chance of surviving an armed conflict.
When your reaction time for success is measured in fractions of a second, why compromise your chances of coming out alive?

#94 ·
500 Magnum Nut said:
If your concerned about spring failure, test fire the gun twice a year to maintain your assurance that the gun will work as designed.
Uhhhhh...Did you just advise him to test fire his carry gun twice a YEAR? Crap that's scary!

How about practice with your carry gun several times a month so you develop at least a little mastery of it?

Folks who only test fire their carry gun twice a year would be better off carrying something less-than-lethal. WHO KNOWS where their shots are going to go?

You should practice all aspects of carry, draw, presentation, firing, re-loading, re-holstering, etc. until you can do them safely without thinking.

Keep tabs on those springs by trying them out regularly at the range!

#95 ·
psu1xj said:
Uhhhhh...Did you just advise him to test fire his carry gun twice a YEAR? Crap that's scary!

How about practice with your carry gun several times a month so you develop at least a little mastery of it?

Folks who only test fire their carry gun twice a year would be better off carrying something less-than-lethal. WHO KNOWS where their shots are going to go?

You should practice all aspects of carry, draw, presentation, firing, re-loading, re-holstering, etc. until you can do them safely without thinking.

Keep tabs on those springs by trying them out regularly at the range!
I agree. You need to know the weapon you are going to carry inside and out. You must know what it will do and how it will do it in any given situation. You also need to practice so that you can operate it under duress and you must commit it's operation to memory. You must do this in order to ensure your survival should the need for you to draw your weapon ever arise.

Mannlicher said:
For a person that really and truely is carrying a 1911 for the purpose of defending themselves, Condition One is the only practical solution.
Carrying any other way gives a guy a warm and fuzzy feeling of being armed, but actually reduces their chance of surviving an armed conflict.
When your reaction time for success is measured in fractions of a second, why compromise your chances of coming out alive?
Again I agree. Condition 1 is the only sensible option. A weapon that's not ready to be used is a far less effective tool than one that is ready to go at the flip of a switch. Racking the slide adds precious seconds that could be better spent elsewhere.

#96 ·
psu1xj said:

I assumed utak_pulbora, like most of us, owned many 1911 pistols such as range guns, house guns, carry guns, and so on.
The poster was concerned about spring failure to his CCW piece, so I advised him to test fire it a few times a year.

You don't need to shoot several times a month to build muscle memory. In fact, dry fire exercises are better. I recommend daily dry fire exercises such as draw, presentation and tactics. Naturally, shooting often, will develop the necessary motor skills, and the more one practices, the smoother and faster you will get.

However some people can't visit the range as often as they would like. The expense of range fees and ammo will hamper their live fire sessions. In addition, some range officers may not like you handling weapons from drawing positions (cross draw or shoulder holsters). It could point the muzzle in unsafe directions (toward other people) when other shooters are nearby.

Dry fire practice is the best learning tool you've got. Practice like it's for real. Do it with your jacket on, in the privacy of your home. Learn how to sweep the jacket to present the gun. Visit the range for live fire when you can.

#97 ·
I've always believed Cond 1 was the only sane way to carry a 1911. However, for my CCW I carry a Glock 29 (10mm). IMHO it is a far more dangerous weapon to carry. The "Safe Trigger" is a farce and all that stands between you and a ND is 4-5 pounds.
I'm beginning to like my LDA Para Tac4 more and more. I has the grip safety and the standard slide safety just like the 1911s, but its got a double action trigger. Plus, it is very accurate. Just my opinion.

Doc

#98 ·
500 Magnum Nut said:
I assumed utak_pulbora, like most of us, owned many 1911 pistols such as range guns, house guns, carry guns, and so on.
The poster was concerned about spring failure to his CCW piece, so I advised him to test fire it a few times a year.

You don't need to shoot several times a month to build muscle memory. In fact, dry fire exercises are better. I recommend daily dry fire exercises such as draw, presentation and tactics. Naturally, shooting often, will develop the necessary motor skills, and the more one practices, the smoother and faster you will get.

However some people can't visit the range as often as they would like. The expense of range fees and ammo will hamper their live fire sessions. In addition, some range officers may not like you handling weapons from drawing positions (cross draw or shoulder holsters). It could point the muzzle in unsafe directions (toward other people) when other shooters are nearby.

Dry fire practice is the best learning tool you've got. Practice like it's for real. Do it with your jacket on, in the privacy of your home. Learn how to sweep the jacket to present the gun. Visit the range for live fire when you can.
I'd recommend practicing releasing the thumb safety too. I practice releasing mine when I'm bringing the gun up into presentation, NOT when I draw it. When I'm bringing it up to point, I click the safety off. Whenever I drop the muzzle down, safety goes on. My thumb stays real close to that lever all the time.

A .45 is too much gun for me to goof around with, I'm really anal about that thumb safety. Everytime I touch my guns, pick them up or anything, first thing I check is that safety! I already KNOW they're loaded, I wanna make sure it's SAFE!

#99 ·
1911 in cond. 1

A well trained man (errr person) with a 1911 in condition 1 is absolutely in the best position to get the first round off quickly and most accurately of any firearm period!

Other systems are designed to be more "forgiving" & "tolerant"

In my opinion.

#103 ·
DevilDave1911 said:
Condition 1...the ONLY way it should be carried. Anything else is asking to be shot/stabbed/clubbed/punch in the face first. ;)

Only in Hollywood is it "COOL" to rack the slide before you take action...or if you are an Israeli commando where its protocol...outside of that, being prepared should the SHTF, is paramount.

Besides C1 is the safest mode of carry...both for the gun, and the enduser needing it ready. In a confrontation, split seconds count...why give the BG an upper hand?
I whole heartedly agree. When you carry a weapon, CCW, then you carry it as if your in combat. Ready to use. On the battlefield, you don't carry your weapon with a loaded magazine but empty chamber. I was raised on the 1911, carried it in Beirut as a Hospital Corpsman, and in Israel as a common soldier. The 1911A1, is a system that is best left to those that are 100% sure of it's use, and how to clear jams, stovepipes and such. Otherwise, how about a fine Beretta M9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.