Votes: 4,109 87.7%
  • Chambered with hammer down

Votes: 264 5.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrying chambered 1911?

363K views 941 replies 542 participants last post by  Tim Burke 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 70's series Springfield Micro Compact. I have been working for a gun dealer as a salesman for almost a year now and I have several co-workers who also carry 1911s; all of which carry theirs chambered. When I asked about carrying it chambered with the hammer dropped my co-worker told me if you drop a 70's series chambered with the hammer down it will go off. He told me if i was going to carry it chambered have the hammer back and safety on. I plan to familiarize myself with the weapon more before i start doing this but in the mean time i have been carrying it unchambered with the hammer back and safety on to see if my safety will ever fail or shift. I have a nice Galco holster and when i bought the gun it came with an extended safety. Just wanted to see how everyone else carries and make sure I am safe before I accidentally blow my leg and buttocks off with a .45 magsafe round.

#939 ·
I used to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber until I became an active Federal LEO 10 years ago. During the 26 years I was on active duty in the Coast Guard (carrying 1911s that were older then I and I am 61) we carried hammer back on an empty chamber - something that I could never understand - if you have to draw and chamber a round under duress, in a maritime setting it could be fatal. The worst part of that scenario was that we did not train to chamber on the drawn at the range; it was basic pistol qualification load, chamber, fire on command.

With my agency the mantra is "when you empty your magazine, reload, chamber, and re-engage. Basically the way it should be.

Back to the 1911 and chambered, cocked, and locked; I own 40+ 1911s; I have never had one discharge when the safeties are being used as they should be. Heck the Glock 17 that we used to carry and the H&K USP2000 we now carry don't have any safeties what so ever other then keeping the finger off the trigger unless shooting and we've never had one go off - unless a finger was involved!

However you feel safest carrying then go ahead; its your decision; not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.