1911Forum banner

What CCW Insurance Do You Have?

7K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  557 
#1 · (Edited)
i need to buy some CCW insurance (services, etc). so many are mentioned, which one do you have, which ones have the best value? i see many do have CCW Safe for legal services (their site says its not an insurance policy), any pros-cons to worry about, do you need a legal plan and a insurance plan?

#41 ·
I have been thinking about this insurance as well. I currently have USAA umbrella policy that does cover damages but I need to call them to see if they have something to compete with USCA etc....

Anybody know if USAA has any coverage for defensive lethal force situation?

#43 · (Edited)
Hearing good news, as I live in Florida. I believe we are overlooking an all to real situation, though.
Yes, it is a justified shooting. No charges from the bad guys family, or criminal from the state. What if you fire twice, one a flesh wound that hits a person outside/ behind the perp? What if you are wounded, and in your return fire strike a bystander? Even though you were justified, I believe you would be open to civil action in those situations.

Thoughts?

#46 ·
Hearing good news, as I live in Florida. I believe we are overlooking an all to real situation, though.
Yes, it is a justified shooting. No charges from the bad guys family, or criminal from the state. What if you fire twice, one a flesh wound that hits a person outside/ behind the perp? What if you are wounded, and in your return fire strike a bystander? Even though you were justified, I believe you would be open to civil action in those situations.
Of course you'd be sued by bystanders you injured.

As I mention every time this comes up, make sure the policy covers your costs when they occur and NOT just reimburse you after you are found not guilty or not liable. Otherwise, you will have to spend $30k - $50k for a retainer.

#47 ·
I live in Tennessee. A friend of mine is an attorney and I asked him to research the records and determine what happens to someone who uses their pistol in self defense during a home invasion.

Long story short, being in Tennessee you have a great degree of legal defense if you have to defend yourself in your home. He did a cursory review and at first glance found no recent cases in Tennessee where someone was prosecuted for defending themselves during a home invasion.

Having said that I think the insurance thing is not a bad idea. Just another layer of protection. I plan on checking into it and getting some.

Cheers,

Fred

#49 ·
Well certainly you should go with what you are comfortable with.

However, one would do well to consider certain things. Those that opt for prepaid legal representation for something like this. They really need to understand a few things.

First of all there is no shortage of lawyers in this country. There are millions of them in this country. And they are all looking to make money. There are lots of really good lawyers out there and ten times that number of lousy ones.

Very often when you go and purchase coverage for yourself in the event of a shooting. These outfits will come out and be very proud of telling you that they have attorneys available 24/7 in the event that you get in a jam. And quite often they will. However they will generally not be all too keen on disclosing the credentials of these "on call attorneys" this is for a number of reasons.

More often then not. These "on call attorneys" will be pretty low grade. They need the work. And they will fulfill the terms of the contract. Good luck with that. I have two brothers that are lawyers, as well as a nephew. They are pretty good at what they do. In order so as not to make this an overly long post. I will just say this.

If you are looking to procure this kind of insurance for yourself. I would strongly suggest that you do one thing. Ask the insurance outfit for the names of the lawyers that they have on call. Then you need to run these names through martindale.com Look at their peer ratings. Customer ratings mean about nothing. The best peer rating that they can get is an AV rating. This says that they are the best in the business. The A means that they are top in winning their cases. The V means that there are no ethics questions following them around. An AV lawyer is the best that you can get and they will be very expensive and they will be very good. A BV is next up. Now if they are missing the V, all this means is that there may or may not be an ethics question hanging over them. This does not necessarily have a reflection on their performance.

If you look up a lawyer that is not peer rated, then I would watch out.

#50 ·
post #49, the ACLDN allows you to choose any lawyer you like. obviously the $1mil/minute guy is not on the list, but having 1 good one like Tim Forshey (phx) and then maybe a lower cost lawyer would be a good plan, this way if its something minor the low cost guy works ok, and if its a shooting where fatal injury is involved you dial up the good guy.

#52 ·
Uscca

I can't personally speak to how well USCCA coverage compares to others because I just bought the coverage last month and haven't had to use it yet but I was very impressed with their customer service when signing up. For $147/yr. I figure I'm not out of much (maybe a couple pounds of powder, some bullets, and primers?) if I ever should need legal help after a self defense shooting. All of you who are poo pahing CCW insurance might want to reconsider your stance on the subject? Why do you even carry if you think the chances of a self defense shooting are so negligible???

#54 ·
I look at it this way.

What are the odds of you ever need to use this insurance? I've been carrying since 1976, haven't shot anyone yet, hope I never have to.

Now, imagine if I had been paying insurance premiums all those years. I could have bought my own attorney by now!

Hopefully nothing will ever happen to you, if and when it does, then hire an attorney.
You'll save thousands in the long run.

#55 ·
This works for me.

I know a guy that bought theft insurance for his Rolex watch. :rolleyes:

#58 ·
I carry a Colt stainless WC Commander with a machinegun in the truck. That's all of the insurance I need. If I happen to shoot someone, they are the ones who need insurance - burial - if my aim is good.

#62 ·
CCW insurance? I'll get mine right after I renew my meteorite insurance.

#65 ·
Who's your meteorite policy underwriter? I've been wanting meteorite insurance but I've been kind of short of cash lately after the $7 policy on the $35 blender and the $450 payment on my extended warranty on my '88 Oldsmobile.

Seriously, any statisticians out there with data on odds of collecting on a CCW policy compared to other types of risk? Would be interesting and helpful for everyone on the forum.

#64 ·
US Law Shield.....here in Fl.
Just a thought......I hope none of use ever has to use deadly force to protect ourselves or our families. If you should have to, the first rule is never talk to the Police without a Lawyer present. Most bad things happen late at night...where you going to find a Lawyer? You will sit in jail until one is appointed or you can contact one.
This video has been around for a while....its a 2 part series, posted the link to the second part. Worth watching if you have never see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.