1911Forum banner

Controlling Adrenaline Response

3K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Boge 
#1 ·
This may be an unusual question, but I have been concerned about controlling my adrenaline response in extreme or dangerous situations for quite some time. I have yet to experience this while in a hunting situation, but there have been times in my life, i.e. heated arguments, fights (not many), instances where I am not being treated fairly or when I have been unjustly accused, and the most dangerous of all: dealing with the ex-wife, where I feel my adrenaline rising to very high levels and I feel I loose a bit of control. Not always, but sometimes, depending on the severity of the situation, I experience shaking and loss of fine motor skills.

I know that military personnel train to control their adrenaline response and I would like to learn to do so as well. Specifically, I do not want to get into a self-defense situation where my adrenaline response will negatively affect my ability to handle the situation.

Outside of the BS methods of diet, exercise, counting to 10, channeling Buddah, or whatever, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about controlling adrenaline response when seconds count?

#29 ·
wccountryboy: I agree that training and experience is key. I’m more concerned in learning to utilize the adrenaline to my advantage; I’m just not sure how to do this. I’ve been thinking through this quite a bit since I started this thread and what I’ve come to realize is that maybe it’s not the adrenaline, per se, but the shaking and loss of fine motor skills that is probably the result of rage, combined with the adrenaline. I think the problem is controlling the anger, but again, as I stated before, these are rare occurrences for me and it’s difficult to pin it down. Based upon my previous experiences, I am confident that I can handle myself in an emergency, but more training would certainly help.

Snorkrl: Thanks for your insight. Like you, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve recognized that my fuse has gotten longer too. I also agree that when in dangerous situations, staying focused and on point is key to success and I’m confident that I can do so.

AgentFlounder: The more I’ve thought about this, the more I realize that it is the adrenaline I need to learn how to channel. The anger, likely, needs to be controlled, which is far easier than preventing an involuntary, perfectly natural adrenaline response. Obviously, training for an adrenaline response would be difficult simply due to their rarity in daily life; however, confidence instilled through training for self-defense, shooting, hunting, etc. probably goes a long way towards handling any given difficult or dangerous situation successfully. Knowing how you will respond and having a plan definitely helps.

Kurusu: You might be correct. More likely, it’s a combination of anger, blood pressure and adrenaline.

M-Peltier: I am aware of the triggers that illicit an anger response and I am able to control it, as long as I can step away. I have the ability to control it when I can’t, but it can be difficult, especially if I’m dealing with my irrational ex.

Sarge: I think I need to do some more work on identifying and understanding the difference between an adrenaline dump and the shaking and loss of fine motor control due to rage. I think an adrenaline dump is likely more akin to exhilaration (in some cases), but I don’t know how I would go about accessing them on a regular or semi-regular basis. I am no longer in my twenties and I don’t want to risk unnecessary injury, but I can understand how that feeling of exhilaration could be addictive. Every situation is different and the feeling, for example, of being pulled over by the State Police in NM for doing 8 mph over the limit, with my young daughter in the back seat of my vehicle, and then having the officer ask me questions I have no intention of answering – questions that are specifically designed to give the officer probable cause, and then being surrounded by 5 cruisers, and having the officer lie to me about NM State law, that I know for a fact is false, and then being threatened with arrest, only to be sent on my way after 45 minutes of wasted time is far different than that of driving flat out on a W. TX highway or sky diving… Yep it’s likely the anger that leads to the shakes.

LOU_D: How do they induce adrenaline?

demirosapat: I’ve read that tunnel vision can be an issue. After a particularly strong reaction, I’ve found that stiff single-malt does wonders to calm me down. My ex wife turned out not to be a good one and my lab died some years ago. The good news is that my young daughter wants me to get her a lab puppy, so that may happen sometime in the near future.

Fatboy46: Good point. Yes, in many cases, we choose to let the anger get the better of us, but there are cases where it’s pretty much unavoidable, if one ever hopes to maintain their integrity. Still, most of the time a better choice is simply to walk away and not engage the person who like to press your buttons over and over. Thanks.

#30 · (Edited)
wimpy: Thanks, I see if I can find that book.

Rich T: Yep. I have experienced that as well – human nature, I suppose.

When I started this thread, I thought I understood the meaning of an adrenaline response. With the help of the good fellers on this forum, I see now that I may have been mistaken and I may, in fact, have confused adrenaline response, anger, and how testosterone affects me in high-stress situations. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and perspectives.

I think your explanation regarding the differences between an adrenaline rush and anger is spot-on, and like you, I understand that stepping back or removing myself from a situation that is anger inducing, helps immensely. As I stated, I am slow to anger and the situations that currently make me angry largely revolve around my ex. Since we have a young daughter, the stakes are very high and will definitely affect both me and my daughter for the foreseeable future. I have made every effort to resolve these situations amicably, but as I’m sure you’re aware, there’s no negotiating with a crazy and illogical woman.

I also agree that utilizing the adrenaline flow in conjunction with past training helps immensely.

jtq: I realize that what I have written may cause many her to come to that conclusion, and perhaps you all have a point. I will admit that, on rare occasions, I do get so angry that I shake, but like I said previously, it happens very rarely. I'm sure that most people can relate to this and most everyone has likely become extremely angry at some point in their lives and, in that respect, I'm sure I am like most people. I am certain; however, that I can control my rage, even when in the midst of it. I know for a fact that I would never make an irreparable mistake regarding anyone due to anger - my morals intercede - every time. I always try to steer clear of trouble, but fighting for my life or for that of my daughter, would be a different matter entirely. I think you may have a point; however, that managing my anger more effectively would be beneficial. Thanks.

#31 ·
Yep. Anger control. What I learned on the hospital. I can't get angry at the person for their unreasonable actions, because the person is unreasonable. So, I have to control the anger, but sometimes the rush is still there. Ready to go.
On go, the rush helps you be clearer, and for the world around you to move just a bit slower.
But that's me. Maybe not you. But what I've read tonight, a cool head will help you prevail.

#32 ·
In my experience, the 'adrenaline rush' which brings on terror, anger, the shakes and such is much more pronounced when it has time to build up.

An argument for example. Usually arguments build up over several minutes and the inner turmoil builds. Watching a movie is similar - especially if the director has an idea about how to do it. Waiting for something to happen is similar.

A sudden attack is easier in this regard. In the moment, if one reacts as taught, the fear and shakes and all that come later. They do occur, but after the crisis.

In many cases, when attacked, the intended victim will escape the initial onslaught and hide. At that point, the 'what if?' considerations start and the panic sets in.

In armed confrontations, the best antidote to fear and panic is a controlled anger, and concurrent concentration on the front sight and proper trigger squeeze.

#33 ·
Recon Marine from a long time ago and retired LEO here. I don't know about counting to 10, or sniffing a hippies arm pit or any of that stuff. Adrenaline will make you lose fine motor skills regardless. You're not building watches or a model or defusing a bomb and getting ad jacked so it's fine. The trick is to work through it, which takes training. Yes, a screaming DI can help with that but working on it when it happens is experience, which is the best instructor of all. I have a cousin on a SWAT team that says the guys team up in twos, one shotguns a monster and shoots a course of fire while the other is watching to make sure he's safe during the rush. Not sure if you wanna shotgun a monster before dropping off the kids with the ex but you know, to help you identify and work through it in a controlled environment might help in the long run. Just so you know, when I joined the Corps my hands would shake like crazy and tunnel vision would set in when the ad gates opened. It's something you can work around, so stay with it bro. Good luck.

#34 ·
I think we need to seperate anger from adrenalin- they are NOT the same.

The former is an emotional and psychological, not chemical, response to external stimuli. Physiological effects are reactons to that emotion. Anger CAN be controlled, its 100% operator headspace and timing- barring clinical mental illness.

The latter is a physiological response to the body being flooded, almost instantly, with a chemical. Like any chemical, differnent people react differently, and have differnent experiances and tolerances for that chemical... regular exposure reduces physiological effects.

The vast majority hqve no ill effects from adrenalin DURING an event; discipline and training carry them through.... afterwards, who cares...?

#35 ·
I have an unusually volatile temper. It was serious enough that in childhood fights my default strategy was to attempt (thankfully, I wasn't very effective) to kill my opponents. Apparently, when questioned by my father afterwards I was adamant that whatever I was doing when I'd been stopped, I planned on doing it until the opponent expired.

My parents response scared hell out of my extended family; they enrolled me in martial arts. By 11 I was competing at the state championship level, and have since been in the military, an LEO and some stressful professions, but my temper has never been an issue. (I once had someone mention, when I raised my voice slightly, that they'd always thought I didn't HAVE a temper.)

MA (for me, at least) taught me that my temper was my enemy; before I could defeat anything else, I had to control that.

Larry

#36 ·
Amazing what a little disciple can do to put a temper in check.... as I said, temper/anger is an emotional or psychological issue, not a chemical reaction...

#37 · (Edited)
Archie: In my case, you’re correct, the more time I’m involved in an anger inducing situation, the worse my anger can become, if I let it. I have also experienced sudden attacks (charging feral hogs, attacking pit bulls) and my reaction was as you described. I have never been in an armed confrontation, which I hope never to experience, so my concern is largely based around such a scenario and mentally and physically preparing myself to effectively handle such a situation. Based upon my previous success fending off the sudden attacks I mentioned, I feel confident of my abilities, but I know I could definitely use more training. I find that knowing how I would react and having a plan for success is extremely beneficial to building confidence.

WarDawg45: Great info. I think such training would be very beneficial and I’ve wanted to engage in such training for quite some time. I will start looking into different options, and thanks for the encouragement.

wccountryboy: Yep, I’ve come to realize that they are indeed different and as I previously stated I initially confused the two. I’ve also come to realize that I have a lot more control of my anger that I may have thought. I know I need to learn how to channel that anger to my advantage and not let it go unchecked.

DT: Count yourself lucky you had such wise parents, they clearly made the correct decision and your story is a great one. Though not nearly as severe, it reminds me of a story my folks used to tell about me: once, when I was quite young, my folks were called into to the principal’s office due to my penchant for fighting. Later, when my Father asked me why I got into a fight, I told him “because he hit me back.” Glad to hear your temper didn’t lead to real trouble in your youth.

#38 · (Edited)
Bourbon...

That or just deflate your ballsack while you take deep breaths and exhale slowly and stop overthinking things. As someone who used to try to stand up to all the older kids on the playground (and took a few whippings because you don't win a fight against a 6th grader when you're nine years old and scrawny), and maybe a little bit of experience through the service, I can attest to the fact that controlling your breathing and thereby your heart rate, you can keep your pants from becoming alumni of Brown University.

I was an angry kid. Picked fights that I had no way of winning due to a less than ideal home life what with my older sister who was a sadist (and has been disowned) running the show while dad was overseas and mom worked 40 hours a week, and I can personally say that I did learn a few important things. 1st: if he's larger than you are kick him in the jollies as hard as you can because a big man kneed once or twice in the jollies will go down as fast as another man. 2nd, when in a fight control your breathing and push back emotions because an angry fighter is at a disadvantage. 3rd, pick your battles: if you can walk away then do that...just walk away because even a fight you can win will leaves bruises, scars, and pain in the aftermath. I discovered Dave Grossman, The Art of War, The Hagakure, Voltaire, and Breaking the Phalanx (by Colonel Macregor whom my father had the honor of serving under as a teenager, and I learned a thing or two about lateral/rational thinking, and it helped me learn another thing or two about keeping my cool. It's as much physiological as it is psychological.

#39 · (Edited)
Kodadek: Well, a quality Single Malt Scotch does wonders to calm me down and ease my nerves, but a nice bourbon will do if I don't have any Scotch on hand. If you haven't tried Garrison Bros. try it, you will thank me later - the best bourbon I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

You make several excellent points. For one, overthinking is not an issue at all for me when in the heat of battle (so to speak). The forum format allow us to delve into the minutiae and analyze the tarnation out of this issue, which certainly seems like over thinking (which is probably true) but it has given me great insight into this matter. + I have found the advice given here to be very helpful.

I definitely try to avoid conflict whenever possible. I also can certainly understand how breathing/heart rate control would be beneficial - I will work on that. I will also look into the resource you mentioned that helped you learn about lateral and rational thinking as well as keeping your cool - all things that would be very important in any conflict. Thanks for your insight.

#40 ·
Training

High-Noon get some training from Thunder Ranch, Gunsite... etc. I've attended a few over the years. They will train you well and address the adrenaline rush, breathing and verbalizing.

My first LEO job was with a small county of 58 deputies, they lacked everything but firearms training. The Ranger Master attended the listed schools frequently and passed the training on to us. He recommended I go, so I saved up and went. The classes will give you the confidence to perform when the adrenaline kicks in and to manage it.

Moving on, I joined a larger agency that implemented Force-on-Force training. As mentioned, this is great training if you have the basics ingrained. As a trainer, I've seen many officers fail simple scenarios with actors moving at 60% speed. They panicked, didn't use their training or reverted back to older training tactics.

The tactics you are using now will show up in a class. They will praise you on the good and fix the bad. Afterwards you can take their training and apply it to your world.

They are addictive as 1911's. I learned something new in every class.

My $.02

#41 ·
Adrenaline dump.....

My shakes come afterwards. During the event I'm cool. But I'm a wreck later.
I react the same as Magazineman......I get heightened awareness during the crisis and very focused, but get the shakes after it is over........

For me, I believe there is a correlation with having an adrenaline dump and tachypsychia....... often times in a very intense situation, my perception of the event may alter and everything seems to "slow down" as if the event is unfolding in slow motion...... I don't know if this happens to everyone, but I have experienced this numerous times over the years when participating in school sports, during fist fights at school, and even in action pistol shooting.....it has always enhanced my ability to respond to the event and has helped me to perform at a higher level.

#42 ·
often times in a very intense situation, my perception of the event may alter and everything seems to "slow down" as if the event is unfolding in slow motion......
This has happened to me several times. The one I remember the best, was when we were trying to get an intoxicated person out of a car. I was on the driver's side and another officer on the passenger side. The other officer started to use his pepper spray and I could see every drop coming at me in slow motion. Luckily it only hit my arm.

#43 ·
Control of breathing works really well.

You have to breath out more than you breath in, This will help.

With this said, I have had my share of first trip Kings point third mates freak out on me doing their first Malacca or Hormuz night transit. After some experience they are usually fine.

#44 ·
I too agree that anger and adrenaline are to totally different things.

Adrenaline can be a wonderful thing to assist you in a time of trouble. It will focus you and give you amazing strength. It reduces your fine motor skills but that is the trade off.

Anger can be controlled and needs to be. Besides the other things mentioned you could join a martial arts club or something of the sort. As a kid I had a temper and the first time I was hit in the face with a sparring gloved fist, it was eye opening. I realized how to control my anger and realized it was an emotion. It can and should be controlled. Training, visual rehearsal, and self study are some valuable techniques.

#45 ·
High_Noon- there's been some good advice. Different people react differently to different situations, dependent on one's state of mind. Obvious, I know, but the point is you'll just have to figure out what works for you for each situation. For me, the frame of mind prior to the situation helps, but that can go out the window if the situation is severe enough. Being exposed to more adrenaline dumps can help, but when it is triggered by something emotional, for me it can become combined with anxiety and much more difficult to navigate than with a clear head. It can be done, but talk about unpleasant!

Also to add, there is a big difference between anger and rage.

Congratulations on identifying a problem AND trying to fix it. Good luck in your quest for self-improvement!

#46 ·
I think a lot of it is to do with "Anger Management"....I tend towards getting ticked off as a way to respond to a lot of things. The wife always reminds me that it DOES NOT solve the situation. She is right. I have to step back and take a breath...only try and control what you have in front of you....try not to "assume" anything.

#48 ·
You can't control Adrenaline, but you can train to work WITH it.

Take 50 rounds and shoot the USMC 1911 qual course.

Now, afterwords, commence an standard USMC PFT, at the end

Go back and shoot the same 50 round qual course and compare scores.

When you can shoot both near enough to touch scores you can shoot under stress, but remember, stress will ALWAYS be tougher when you actually have someone shooting at you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.