1911Forum banner

Anyone here choose NOT to EDC a firearm??

11K views 119 replies 78 participants last post by  Oldfut808 
#1 · (Edited)
If so, why?

The reason I ask is...I ran into a gentleman at the gun club who admittedly LOVE guns, but when I asked him what was his choice for EDC, he replied "None...I dont carry." I didn't ask him why, and it bugged me all the way home.

So just curious if anyone here is in the same camp.

#110 ·
I almost never carry. Frankly? The only reason I obtained my concealed permit is that it allows me to purchase as many handguns as I desire as long as the permit is valid. In NC? I would otherwise have to get a "pistol purchase permit" from the Sheriff each & every time I wanted to purchase a handgun.

#111 ·
I'm not afraid of the natives, wild life, or whatnot.

I live in a rural area now, and had lived in a few big cities, the east side of Cleveland for a time. Never did I think I was outgunned, even when guns were pulled on me.

I do carry a knife, had done so since I was 8. Never did I ever think of pulling it on someone; and I have been in more than my share of altercations.

I just don't see a need.

#113 ·
I work in public schools so I'm forced to not carry, because of that I don't think of carrying when not at a school unless I'm heading to a tough neighborhood, the movies or in my Classic Car. I do worry about being carjacked. It's not worth losing my job over and whatever the local law would do if it was found in my car by chance.

#114 ·
I work in public schools so I'm forced to not carry....
Same here. I drive a school bus for a living, and have (at most) 62 of the "little darlings" on my bus heading to the elementary school in the morning. Hey, it's a job... ;)

The very thought of EDC while on a school bus, interacting with kids, parents, teachers, etc... would be a complete nightmare!! :eek:

#115 ·
Every Day Carry

I carry every day, and have been carrying since FL passed the "shall issue" concealed weapons permit law in 1987. Fortunately, I have never had to draw my gun, but it was a bit touchy in two instances......and my attempts to de-escalate the situation by staying calm and talking openly in a regular conversational tone helped in one situation.....

The chances of needing a gun for self defense are pretty remote, but the location where you live can affect the odds of needing a weapon for self protection. Even so, I prefer to carry every day, and would rather have a gun, than get into a situation where "I need a gun and don't have one!"

#116 ·
If you CAN carry, why would you NOT carry? And if you carry, why would you not carry every day?
Everyone's circumstances don't match yours or your need to carry a gun. That seems to be a fact people ignore in their zeal to chide other people for not wearing a gun 24/7/365 - including while taking a shower and a dump...

Wearing a gun isn't security. Many people try to substitute wearing a gun for making their property and home secure. A gun is used when you need to react to a security breach and not to create a secure environment. I've made sure my property and house are secure.

I live in the country, and you have to get past the 5 1/2-foot high perimeter fence, including the gates across the driveway. No one comes to my house unless they call ahead of time and the gates are open for them to get in. You can't get to any door at my house unless I let you in past a second fence line. You can't get to any windows as they're all within the second fence line.

So, you have to climb a 5-1/2 foot fence to get onto the property. Then you have to get past a second 4-1/2 foot high fence to reach a door or window. In that process, you will set off at least one sensor letting me know there is a potential security problem.

I have guns available in every room if needed, they're within arm's reach of where I'm sitting or sleeping. I don't feel the need to wear a gun in my house as I'm satisfied I'm secure and can react to any security breach if there is one.

If I'm in my car - I have a SIG P229 within reach. Can't wear a gun in an automobile as I have a herniated disk in my lower back and wearing a holstered gun sitting in a car is incompatible with that condition.

I keep a SIG P938 in a clip-on holster in my center console and if I'm going somewhere I feel I may need to defend myself, I take that gun. Prior to the SIG P938, I used a Detonics Combat Master in a clip-on holster or carried in a belt pack. I also carry a SIG RCS Officer's size 1911 in the map pocket of my soft side Tumi briefcase as I occasionally go into office buildings.

So far, for the past 35 years - this has worked for me. I take a gun if needed, and I don't feel the need to wear a gun in my home or every waking moment.

#117 ·
Everyone's circumstances don't match yours or your need to carry a gun. That seems to be a fact people ignore in their zeal to chide other people for not wearing a gun 24/7/365 - including while taking a shower and a dump...

Wearing a gun isn't security. Many people try to substitute wearing a gun for making their property and home secure. A gun is used when you need to react to a security breach and not to create a secure environment. I've made sure my property and house are secure.
And no one could EVER circumvent your system? And it protects you even when you're miles from home?

#118 · (Edited)
I don't EDC anymore. I have but in my last Few years till retirement I work for an European owned company with Kommiefornia, and Peoples Republic of New Jersey, views of guns and weapons.

Fortunately in my 60+ years above ground I haven't needed a weapon to extricate myself from a problem. I hope I can make a Few more years. Fortunately Arkieville passed a law that will allow me to bring a pistol onto my company's property legally. In a few months I can have a pistol with me to and from work plus any errands after work.

I Don't not EDC by choice.

#119 ·
I carry daily with the exception of the post office, federal buildings and courthouses. I am a real estate broker who specializes in marketing foreclosed homes for banks. Needless to say I am in vacant homes nearly every day, some in rural areas and some in the middle of what looks like war torn Beirut.

I've been approached in a mall before by a person that said...Oh I remember you, you took my house. That was a tad unnerving to say the least.

I've had to draw once on a dog that was approaching me, was at low ready and the dogs owner said don't shoot my dog. I said call him off and I wont.

Had a hand on the pistol before when a person that was evicted kept breaking back into the property and while doing a routine inspection, found him in there and he picked up a screwdriver and held it in a threatening manner towards me. He saw I was armed and stood down.

So its just second natute for me to carry. Started when I was 21 and haven't missed a day yet, with the exceptions of the prohibition areas stated above.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket and I prefer to be prepared if/when evil comes knocking "at my door".

I know many gun enthusiasts that choose not to carry. To each his own. I pass no judgement on the decisions of others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.