1911Forum banner

Retired carry curiosity ?????

6K views 77 replies 64 participants last post by  db404 
#1 ·
OK !!
You carried on a regular basis.
Perhaps on an irregular basis.
Now your retired.
No longer exposed to the possibilities that Dodge City can throw at you, on a daily basis, at any given time.
Anything can happen, at any time as we all know, but when your lifestyle goes from "Dodge City' to Flip Flops, Beach and Golf, I'm guessing the carry routine takes a back seat or seizes entirely.
Obviously this isn't directed to the retiree that stays in Dodge City to the bitter end.
But !! When the most dangerous thing in your new life is the mailman cutting across your lawn..........??

#65 ·
EDC and retirement....

Now that I am retired, I seem to carry a gun more often than when I was working....(except when I worked a short while as a Deputy Sheriff!)

I prefer to follow the guidelines of the old adage: "it is better to have a gun and not need it, then to not have a gun when needed...."

The old Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared" is also a good guideline.....:)

#66 · (Edited)
Where to start? I am a Vietnam era vet.I am a retired/disabled teamster. I live in a small rural community.I own,work on and shoot guns regularly,frequently here in my yard @25yd range I constructed.I belong to a range that I go to for practice sessions and only test fire at home for test of new loads or mods,repairs to my guns. I carry openly when working around my property.I have had derisive comments about the size of my manhood and compensating for lack thereof.I have been called a reclusive paranoid old man. I have lived in large cities(dayton,Indy,Louisville)Worked for security and investigations firm in Indy. I have details of many attacks that happened because the person had their head up their ass and believed something like that always happens to someone else,never them.That disbelief when it happens is all the time perp needs to hurt you.I can't and don't try anymore to explain that bad stuff happens to these people and it happens quick. I carry all the time,I have lived in the real world and if these people had the life I've had,they would carry also.(or at least have a small window surgically implanted in their abdomen so they could see whats happening while their head is up their ass)
Just last month I was notified to report for jury selection twice in a three week period. I was mildly perturbed by this and was told it never was done,this was a first for this county,but was necessary because of the increase in crime due in large part because of the heroin epidemic. This county has,I believe,the largest # of senior citizens anywhere in the state.Who would you guess these vermin are preying on to get their drugs???
BTW,I do conceal carry,discreet and don't flash or talk guns when out in public. I am not a wannbe,been there(3yrs MP)and certainly do realize my hero days are loooong over. (also I tried to put this in paragraphs for easier reading but auto correct or sumthin wasn't lettin me do it)

#70 ·
Since I will not get to choose when, where, why, how, and by whom I might be assaulted...

"cogito ergo armatus sum."

I pray - sincerely - that those who choose to deride we who choose to stay armed, never come to the place where they require our help.

#72 ·
OK !!
You carried on a regular basis.
Perhaps on an irregular basis.
Now your retired.
No longer exposed to the possibilities that Dodge City can throw at you, on a daily basis, at any given time.
Anything can happen, at any time as we all know, but when your lifestyle goes from "Dodge City' to Flip Flops, Beach and Golf, I'm guessing the carry routine takes a back seat or seizes entirely.
Obviously this isn't directed to the retiree that stays in Dodge City to the bitter end.
But !! When the most dangerous thing in your new life is the mailman cutting across your lawn..........??
To quote you: "Anything can happen, at any time as we all know...."
That advice is great advice to follow, religiously. If you want to maintain the best tactical advantage to staying alive you continue to carry a firearm to maintain the ability to defend yourself when the "unexpected" happens. That doesn't ever change just because you retire.

#77 ·
I grew up in the corporate world where I did a lot of flying and calling on customers. Many of my clients had security at their buildings, and I couldn't take a chance of getting caught with a handgun on my person or in my computer case. Now that I'm retired I carry every day all day when I'm away from home. You will never find me these days without a full size Series 70, Range Officer Compact 45 or a S&W 340PD in my pocket. Except where it's illegal to carry of course ;)

#78 · (Edited)
Seniors are ideal targets for criminals as they are frail (less able to stop an attacker), move slow, and are often with an equally slow spouse or coffee buddy. They are more likely to suffer a significant head injury than younger folks if knocked down or struck in the head. (Our brains shrink as we age, pulling away from the inside of the skull and having lots of tiny arteries (arteriales) and veins (veinules) hanging between the outer surface of the brain and the inside of the skull. These tear and bleed when your brain bounces due to sudden acceleration or deceleration.) Because of the increased vulnerability brought on by age, seniors have a need to pack daily, to protect themselves from young predators. They sure as hell cant do it well with a knife or karate. Seniors need to continue to practice defensive skills, like being alert, and also working on maintaining weapon handling proficiency. Sooner or later arthritis will force changes in carry weapons and carry methods. Adapt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.