1911Forum banner

Recommended Gear for USPSA SS Div?

13K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  Aristotle13 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. I think I've bitten by the USPSA bug. It's been 5 days since my first match and I'm still grinning. Been doing a lot of reading, and was wondering what SS Division shooters recommend for gear.

This is what I have right now:
Kimber TLE (well broken in, stock, and running smooth)
3 KimPro mags
G-Code kydex holster
G-Code kydex dual mag pouch
Milt Sparks belt
Milt Sparks dual mag pouch
Same shooting glasses I use for upland bird
Muffs (no frills Cabelas brand)

On order:
4 Chip McC mags

I already reload (Hornady single stage press... I know, I know), and have a chronograph which is going to start getting more use.

Seems like I got the basic stuff according to the regs. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You NEED no less than 7 mags. I've not run a stage yet that took more than 7, but I've gotten to the last one several times.

All your gear is functional, but you may find yourself changing things around with experience. My basic SS rig is 6 771 Safari mag pouchs and a Bladetech holster on a CR speed belt. Only Tripp 8 round mags and a SA TRP. Its worked for me this year.

EDIT: Let me expand on the mags. B/C you want to approach every array with a topped off gun, you're gonna ditch mags with rounds in it regularly. If you have 5 arrays, each with 3 targets, thats 30 rounds. You're looking at a fresh mag for each array, buttoning out the mag on the fly to the next set. That's 4 mag changes. Drop a mag, miss a mag change, miss some steel, whatever and your down another mag or so.

#14 ·
My basic SS rig is 6 771 Safari mag pouchs and a Bladetech holster on a CR speed belt. Only Tripp 8 round mags and a SA TRP. Its worked for me this year.
Almost the same setup for me.

My basic SS rig is 4 771 Safari mag pouchs, 1 comp-tac for the fifth mag, and a Bladetech holster on a CR speed belt. Only Tripp 8 round mags for me too.

I've never needed more that 5 mags on the belt and rarely go to the fifth. I use one barney, one in the gun, and five on the belt. I put the mag pouches as far to the front as legal. Reaching around to the spine for the 4th mag is really slow so I get them all as close to the front as possible. Good thing about the Safariland 771's is the open front. You don't have to lift the mag straight up to get it out. You can just roll them forward as you are coming up which makes it easier, especially on the mags in the back.

I'm glad SS is here but that's one of the rules I wish would change. Mags wherever you want them I say.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was figuring that I would ease into this, but wanted to at least start off on the right foot with the minimum gear needed.

There was only one other SS shooter in my squad, and now that I think about it, he had 4 mags on his belt but extra mags kept coming out of his back pocket in the steel plate stages.

7 mags, huh? I'm going to have to stash the last 2 mags in my pocket since a third mag holder on my waist is going to be awkward to reach in the middle of my back.

It sounds like you wear a separate belt (the CR speed belt?). Do you prefer that over the belt in your pants?

Thx again for the help.

#7 ·
It sounds like you wear a separate belt (the CR speed belt?). Do you prefer that over the belt in your pants?
Without a doubt get a good belt like a CR Speed. Not that Milt Sparks doesent make a good belt, but the CR Speed belts are made for this stuff. Really stiff and all those mags weight a lot.

#5 ·
my gear (and advice)

I draw from Uncle Mikes Kydex Belt Holsters, either right- or left-hand, worn on my Hellweg 1.5" belt.
I wear two Safariland 079 double-mag pouches, and also, if needed based on match stage design and rd-ct, add a Fobus double or Fobus single, or two Safarliand metal-clip mag holders.

I normally wear six mags on my belt....

I suggest testing for yourself the wearing of ear plugs (I use disposable 33db foams) under your muffs; made me a better shooter.

When shooting 45 ACP I use a 230g LRN at 737fps; when I was shooting my 9x19 I loaded a 131g LRN at 1060fps; when I use my 40 S&W (my current only legal-for-SS left) I use Minor PF ammo with whatever bullets I have the most off.

A33102

#6 ·
why

One of my 45s wears a ghost-ring rear blade; so does the 9x19.
The other 45 doesn't fit 'the box'; it wears tall sights as set up for Bullseye.

So it's the 40 S&W or nothin'.....(remember, Major PF means a maximum of eight rds in the magazine; Minor PF allows up to ten rds).

#9 ·
Is this what you guys are talking about?
http://www.crspeed.co.za/category.aspx?categoryID=25

Well, it will definitely solve my problem with belt loops being in the wrong place when I'm trying to strap on 2 mag pouches and a holster! Just make sure the holster and mags are behind the hipbone, right?

Thanks!

Tell me -and I'll forget
Show me -and I may remember
But involve me - and I'll understand

#10 · (Edited)
Yes. But its NOT IDPA legal. Only USPSA SSK.

Basically, build a rig around it (I have the ends in the back, so there's less bulk up front) and practice with it that way. Your holster's always in the same spot, etc. With the SSK division, you can roll the holster and mag pouches forward some (look at the appendix in the rule book) and still be legal.

Here's a video from Summer Blast where I went deep on mags... all the targets were at 25 yards and the steel was at about 20 yards.
http://www.offroadmarketing.com/uspsa/3sb2008.avi

S.

#13 ·
try the blade tech quads

I shoot single stack sometimes and use a blade tech quad to save belt space... that way if i really screw up the stage, i can scare the targets with lots of 230fmj impacting around them :)

my set up is
Sig gsr 1911. 3.75 pound trigger, wilson speed chute, wilson short trigger
8 cmc mags
2 blade tech quads
CR speed belt

btw i just use the 4 mags on the outside first before i transition to inner holders.

any ipsc division is loads of fun.

#15 ·
I'm a new IPSC shooter and during a training clinic I swore they said the max stage round count was like 36 rounds. Since I shoot production, 10 rounds a mag, I figured 4 mags total would suffice. Couple matches later I'm told there is a 46 round stage! What?? No one around me was shooting a SW MP9 so I went into it 5 rounds short of being able to complete the stage.

I bought four more magazines after that. I won't run out again! I have four on the belt, one in the gun and three spares I keep in the range bag if needed.

Can never have enough magazines. I put them all on a Wilderness Tactical belt, which works good for me. I do see a lot of CR Speed belts and folks seem pleased with them.

#21 ·
I'm a new IPSC shooter and during a training clinic I swore they said the max stage round count was like 36 rounds.
Max round count per stage for a level II or higher match, if I'm not mistaken, is 32 rounds. Club matches you may see more rounds.

Also understand, that it's not always the best plan to shoot your 8 or 10 shots before a reload. I've seen several stages where you may only take 2 or 4 shots and hit a reload on the move.

I've still never needed more than five on a 32 round course.

#16 ·
Well, after some range time experimenting with my current gear, it appears my main problem is with finding room for two or more mag holders on my belt. Reaching way around to the 6 o'clock position is awkward for me.

My G-Code mag holder is a paddle, which takes up more room than it should. It also presents the two mags in a V -which is nice for grabbing them, but again -takes up room on my 34" waist. That might have to go. Anybody looking for one? Nice pouch, but I'm working with limited realestate here.

What seems to be working the best is the combo of my MS double mag pouch and a Don Hulme double mag pouch (brought out of retirement from the "old holster box") for a total of four mags on the belt. Simple, straight up mag pouches. Plus a single mag pouch for holding the first mag.

TrapMonkey: I've seen the Blade-tech Quad pouches before, and I can see the obvious merit for somebody like me. Any issues with grabbing just one mag at a time? I presume not, if that's how you roll...

The CR belt is intriguing from the standpoint that I wouldn't have to worry about the belt loops on my pants interferring with the placement of the mag pouches. I've resewn belt loops in the past... but wouldn't have that problem with a separate belt.

Hmmm, more to think about. Appreciate everyone's insight, and sharing what works for you.

There's a points match next weekend, but I've already promised Mrs. 2MoreChains that I would be her cheering section at an AKC Agility Trail on the same day. It's our Aussi's opening debut. Can't miss that.

#17 ·
2MoreChains said:
... I've seen the Blade-tech Quad pouches before, and I can see the obvious merit for somebody like me. Any issues with grabbing just one mag at a time? I presume not, if that's how you roll...
I have 2 custom versions from before Bladetech put theirs on the market. It works well. It is not idiot-proof. If you reach back and grab 2 mags, 2 mags will come out. If you grab one mag, no problems. I don't have any more problems than anyone else I've seen with IPSC multi mag arrangements. I think I've pulled 2 mags twice, once when it was new to me, and once when I just barely pulled a 2nd mag out from hooking it. I'd buy another.

#19 ·
Hello: Get the CR Speed belt. You can just use the inner belt for IDPA and both belts for USPSA SS. I like either the Comp Tac belt holster or the Blade Tech with the belt mount. I used to use 3 double Uncle Mikes mag holders but now use 5 Safariland 771's. I also have a 34 inch waist and have no problems reaching the back mags. A good friend told me if you can wipe your arse you can reach the mags:) The Cr Speed belt also moves the mags out from your body and gives you more room on the belt since it is a larger diameter. Now go buy the belt. Thanks, Eric

#20 ·
I used to use a CR speed belt and mag pouches for SS, but switch at the begining of this year to the Safariland 773 with the Safariland belt. I still use my original 8 year old Bladetech belt holster.

I like the 773's better with the small roller, it covers the mag body a little better than the 771's IMO (no chance of them jumping out)

The Safariland belt is just a little thinner than the CR speed, just easier to get stuff on the belt.
(I still use my CR speed rig for limited)

Call Chuck at Shooters Connection, he will get you set up

www.shootersconnection.com

#22 · (Edited)
Here's a shot of my SSD rig. CR Speed, 6x CR speed mag pouches and a Uncle Mikes holster.

Just move things around for L10 and add a CR Speed WSM2 holster.

Those are my practice magazines, I run Wilson 47D for matches. Pistol is a customized Dan Wesson PM7. As for mag changes, as others have said, you never want to run dry in USPSA, and mag changes are dictated by transitions from shooting positions, not round capacity. I have dug into my 7th mag several times. You also have to consider extra shots on steel, those plate racks and texas stars will get cha.

#23 ·
Shoot what you got.

I get by pretty well with four 8 round mags on the belt, one in the gun and a spare in the back pocket. As I say that, I am about to order 5 new mag pouches for my CR Speed belt. If 4 is good, 5 will be better. I know, I will feel better (and I will still probably carry a spare in the back pocket).

Eric Aircooled is correct about the CR Speed belt. I thought I was just fine with my wilderness belt, until I tried the CR Speed. You wouldn't think a belt would make that much difference.

They have a match in my area called the RM300 that gas 5 stages with 60 rounds per stage. I am wondering what to do for that....Jeans with more pockets??? Can't wait.

#31 ·
New question: I've been looking at Blade Tech's and Comp-Tac's mag pouches, and both offer Tek-Lok attachments. I'll probably stay w/ my MS belt for now, but looking to the future -do the Tek-Loks fit on the CR Speed Belt, or do I need the regular belt loop attachment (ie Sting Ray)? At some point I may opt for a CR belt, and would prefer not to buy a whole new set of mag pouches...

How thick is the outer CR belt? I've read a few posts where people have a hard time threading some brands of holsters or pouches on their CR belt.

Thanks again.

#32 ·
As for the Tek Loks, I have run them on my 1.75" 5.11 Operator belt, to my CR Speed and they've worked great. They are adjustable and can accomodate a 1.50 and 1.75" belt. I love the Tek Lok feature. makes removing and adjusting your holster on your belt much easier.

As for the CR Speed holster, you want it to be a little rigid sitting on your belt. Getting it on and off is no big deal. Once you have it adjusted you don't want that thing moving around. It should fit a vast majority of belts.

#34 ·
Most recent rulebook..
1.2.1.3 “Long Courses” in Level III or higher matches must not require
more than 32 rounds to complete. Course design and construc-
tion must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single
location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in
the course of fire from any single location or view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.